Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Racing, Whaddaya watch??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Sep 10, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I dig F1, as they race a different track every race, in all weather types and locations, and it's open-wheel ,dangerous and FAST.

NASCAR bores me, roundy roundy round (except the two road courses that are slower than my expressway)...

What do you watch and why?

BTW, Schumacher just announced he is retiring from F1 altogether....

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drag racing. And I prefer IHRA to NHRA. The reality is I never go outta my way to watch any of it.

3. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I hear ya. The F1 races are almost all overseas, so you have to watch them at 7 am Michigan time :)

4. Paint

Paint

I have been getting more into drag racing lately. I used to watch NASCAR, even went Bristol every year, but in the last 5 years or so it has turned into a advertising driven media circus. All of my favorite drivers are gone now (except Ken Schrader) and all of the new drivers are a bunch of pretty boys that are hired for there looks and speaking ability to please the sponsers. Tony Stewart still tells it like it is though.
    I know that drag racing has turned into a big money sport too, but at least it still has some personalitys.
    Next year I'm goin to the HAMB drags....

5. I'm a fan and participant of oval track racin'.

Just ran one of my cars last night on a half mile dirt track in Augusta, GA. Had a blast doing it.

This is funny :), I've been around racing a long time and the racing series I find boring is follow the leader Formula 1. Now, that's not a "just watch on TV" observation. I've attended the Grand Prix in Monaco and Canada with the luxury of FOCA (Formula One Constructor Association) passes. Even got to ride around the Monaco circuit in one of their pace cars prior to the BIG race. That was neat. Helps to know folks in the right places ;) .

Technically, F1 is #1, but entertainment wise (and racing is a form of entertainment, just like paying admission to a movie), it has too little passing and real wheel to wheel action.

The Speed Vision World Challenge Series provides the best sports car racing. Both the GT and Touring Series provide serious side by side action. Again, this isn't a "just watch TV" evaluation. I was a racing product rep and for several racing seasons attended EVERY World Challenge and Trans/AM event, from Long Beach, CA to Lime Rock Park, CN and from Homestead, FL to Mosport and Vancouver, Canada.

I also HAD to attend drag racing, oval track, autoX and off road events.

Still, I find oval track racing on one mile and less sized tracks to be the most interesting. Can be dirt or asphalt, stock cars, modifieds or sprint cars. All are serious racing and provide the MOST entertainment and high car counts.

6. screwtheman

screwtheman

I like 'em all. I guess I prefer Nextel Cup NASCAR. There's a lot more strategy and story involved than just turning left. But I don't have cable TV or even rabbit ears, so I hardly see anything these days. I've seen more live local track racing than TV racing in the past 6 months.

My latest interest is drifiting. Kind of like racing while looking cool and doing doughnuts.

7. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

Club road course races, especially vintage and also retro TransAm stuff, AC Cobras, AMX, Mustangs and such.

Got to ride shotgun in a Panoz on a road course in South Carolina a few weeks ago. Couldn't get enough.

8. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

Any open wheel dirt track racing is what I want to see

9. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

I just keep re-watching my video of Cannonball Run....

10. RodLand

RodLand

In da dirt! THAT is racing!!

11. Traditional (means no wings) sprint cars, midgets, and Silver Crown champ dirt cars on dirt tracks from 1/4 mile to a mile in length. Those cars on paved oval tracks like Winchester and Salem put on a good show too....except FRIGHTENING !!!!

I'll watch the NHRA nitro classes too !

12. Dan1955

Dan1955

I prefer dirt ovals, the two-wheeled kind. Drag racing is cool tho. Nothing better in my eyes than 18 motorcycles on a mile dirt track.

13. Drag racing, World Superbikes, Moto GP, F1 when I remeber its on (tho it was MUCH better in the pre-electronic days), Vintage Racing of all types.

14. timebombkustoms

timebombkustoms
    from Indiana

non winged sprint cars,winged sprint cars,midgets,drag racing and nascar here

15. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

24 hours of Le Mans and the American Le Mans series. Nothing better. Plus, The Corvette is kicking ass in the GT1 class. I like the prototypes better though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just wish I was around to see this
    [​IMG]

16. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

You like that Audi Diesel running in Proto? Wild to hear a car go by at 200 mph and 4k rpm :p

17. 55olds88

55olds88

I just wish I was around to see this
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

that looks like like the Kiwi's winning LeMans....

I like the touring cars, its a good rough and tumble kinda racing round street and proper race tracks, the aussie V8's is real good, the german series was pretty cool last time I saw it too and even the Poms did it o.k.
    Drag racing is great, better live US national Events on Qualifing day is pretty cool, specially when you come from a countey where you are lucky to see single car T/F runs ever.

18. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

anything open wheel dirt, fuel altereds, bonneville, air racing, pre-95 Indy cart, drag racing, wienie dog, etc. Get some shoe polish and lets go

19. Soviet

Soviet

I wish Ralley racing would come to the states. I download what I can, but that ain't much. Racing in real world cars on real world roads. Can't beat it.

20. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

I like the Pro-mods in IHRA. NHRA cause they are fast, close and make a ton
    of horse power. AHRDA cause I dig Harley's and also local dirt track roundy rounds. Although I am not apposed to anything with wheels on that trys to go fast.
    Rodman

21. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

22. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Drag racing coverage seems limited to the pro-category teams, which I only have a passing interest in.

I never miss the Indy 500.

This morning I was up at 4:30 to watch the Grand Prix of Italy.

I miss ESPN's Saturday Night Thunder from Indianapolis Raceway Park, with the sprints and midgets with cameras on the roll cages. Those were excellent broadcasts. I also remember watching ESPN's live broadcast of the last race at Ascot.

As far as motorcycles, it's too bad we get virtually no coverage of Grand National Dirt Track races.

It was great to see Mark Martin make it into the Chase.

When we watch a Nextel Cup race, we watch the TV while listening to MRN Radio.

Dave Despain is the best motorsports journalist I know of. Don't miss Wind Tunnel, on Speed TV every Sunday.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

23. AMEN !!!

24. Sik Shifter

Sik Shifter

I have an apreciation for all of it... from moto cross to baja to F1,

25. Sik Shifter

Sik Shifter

dangit... i hit enter to quick, so i'm gonna have to post twice in a row... sorry mr moderator, anyway to me dirt late models are the shit, and pretty much anything with waaaaaaaaay to much horsepower and a short ass wheel base. to me those guys that ran the ol "awful" altereds had some SERIOUS kahonahs!

26. chilimac

chilimac

Super Late Models on dirt!I just got back from the World 100 at Eldora Speedway.195 of the best in the country runnin wide assed open 3 wide in the turns.Nothing else compares,although Sprints come close.

27. el chuco

el chuco

AMA Superbike series on Speed Channel. They raced at Road Atlanta this weekend (Braselton, GA). What a pass by Aaron Yates on Hodgeson for 3rd place. Also follow Moto GP to watch faves Nicky Hayden and Colin Edwards.

28. av8

av8

Loved NASCAR when its acronym was true ('50s and '60s); loved sporty cars forever, because the rules have always been fair and the racing (somewhat) affordable; loved the digs as well and for as long, even though they haven't been affordable for heads-up folks for several decades; still love the dirt cars but miss the scary mile tracks like Sacto and Phoenix and the 'Horne, and miss Aggie's Ascot on Saturday nights most of all -- and it's tough to see what's going on in the cockpit with all the sponsor billboards in the way; love MotoGP and AMA SuperBike as much as I loved FIM and AMA when I was a two-wheeler scooter-doer on the dirt; love WRC but don't know if I have the balls to ride along even as a navigator, never mind the superman qualities to race WFO in a SWB rocketship that one turns in mid-air to set up for the next corner; love land-speed-record racing, first as a fan when I was a kid and now as a participant in my twilight years, especially proud to have been part of two record teams and very excited about my own efforts for the future; finally, as a fully committed gearhead, I have loved F1 from its beginnings when I was a little guy to today when, as a geezer, I watch with intense interest as what is perhaps the very best braintrust and athletic pool in all of motorracing's history fronts up to do battle every couple of weeks throughout most of the year, and at a different spot on the planet each time. There are no do-overs or second chances or Kings-Xs with this crowd. This is the zenith of motorracing, the pinnacle where contrived personality fan clubs and popularity contests are short lived. Results are all that count here.

29. blue57ford

blue57ford

I am a fan of all motorsports though my passion has always been drag racing. Since I was about 2 or 3 years old(around 84-85), I would always be glued to the tv when the showed drag racing. I even had the diamond p sports vhs tapes such as the decade of thrills 1 and 2, Garlits video biography, fabulous floppers, etc. It has kinda gotten out of control in the last 10 years but I still love it. From time to time I will still watch some of the older stuff that I still have just enjoying seeing garlits or the snake or amato running or even force before he had won any races. I also enjoyed listening to who in my opinion was the voice for drag racing tv broadcasts, steve evans. That being said, the drags will always be #1.

30. 54BOMB

54BOMB

When I was little I watched a lot of Nascar with my dad and it was fun, but the last 10 years or so its turned into more of a reality show than actual racing, now I cant stand it. I love F1 its so much more exciting than other forms of racing I see on tv. I do like NHRA alot, but I dont always make time to watch it. I also really like the moto gp stuff, 200+ hp motorcycles, they look like total monsters to ride. I think F1 is the only sport I go out of my way to follow.