Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT question about turbos and emmisions legal on newer cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scooter, Jul 27, 2005.

1. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

sorry for the OT but if anybody know if would be this group !
    Simple question would the addition of a turbo to a new model ride make it fail emmisions testing ? Personaly i would thing the heating and use of exhuast gas would make it run cleaner out the tail pipe .. ? I do not want to buy a whole turbo set up then find out i will have to remove it once a year just for testing if it will fail . Any help on this ?THANKS

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

dont realy know about testing but they make emisions aproved kits

3. RF

RF

If it's got an EO (Executive Order) number on it, it's legal for emissions standards. That doesn't mean the smog station will recognize it, nor that it will automatically pass emissions. I put an Edelbrock multi-port injection system on my '91 Chevy C10 a few years back. All legal. Went to get a smog check, and it failed, but just barely. Found out that the new system didn't work exactly as the throttle body did with the computer. In the end, I found out that it ran just a little cooler, and that I had to drive the truck around town till it got as hot as it would, drive straight to the smog place and have them test w/o shutting the engine off!