Register now to get rid of these ads!

History OT-Planning a trip to Hoover Dam area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Jan 2, 2013.

1. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I was going to make a vegas thread about whats going on car wise, but searched and found this thread. there is so much good info on here its gonna help me when i move to vegas march 2014, in a month the airforce is having my start a tour of south korea for a year, then when i return i get to meet back up with my family and cars in vegas (Nellis AFB) I have been to vegas several times but it was only a day or two not long enough to figure out the car scene. good thread thanks for the help will be subscribing.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes for the Bonnie and Clyde car at Whiskey Pete's. Just looked at it on Thursday along with a pretty cool Lincoln of the same vintage. Also, there is a new Mob museum in Downtown. Never been to it but this month's Sunset Magazine has an article about it and a neon sign exhibit also in Downtown. Old town Bouder City is pretty cool as well.

3. Back up again...Still Plannin! Gonna hit Sedona, South Rim for sure.
    How about Route 66?

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nevada Vintage Race Car Museum in Henderson. A superb collection of vintage round-round cars, Offy-Milllers, Indy cars, sprints and midget cars. Plus, the guy has the fuselage of a Korean War vintage transport that he flew in the service in the parking lot. A must see, it's free, and the owner used to campaign the "Chi-Town Hustler", ran regularly at Martin Dragway here in MI. Nice guy, if he's there, you'll get a VERY nice tour.

Also, don't miss the sign graveyard in Vegas. It's Las Vegas cheesy at it's best.

Brian

5. Up again! Great tips so far. Anybody been to the Barringer Crater near Winslow?

Murph

6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Just a note that the Imperial Palace is now called "The Quad" and is undergoing major renovations. The hotel is still open though and the car museum is definitely worth a visit.

7. BobMcD

BobMcD

Check out Lake Havasu City. Alot of hot rod activity in that town. Also check out Oatman on Route 66.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, it's impressive to see...of course, like anything else, it has an admission price to get in and how it got there is interesting...not much else around there tho...

Sedona is gorgeous...do you have reservations at a hotel or motel there...IF NOT, better get them NOW...

R-

9. Unfortunately the museum is no longer there, he moved it to Missouri I think.

The fuselage is still in the parking lot, don't know if the guy is still around, there is an open machine shop/engine builder in the back but i don't believe they are affiliated with the guy that owns the fuselage.

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

If you'd enjoy some very unique and interesting natural landscapes, I'd suggest Zion National Park which is 3 hours north of Boulder City.

[​IMG]

11. Hi all,

Next week is the trip...just wanted to check for some final thoughts.

What about Williams, AZ. and Rt. 66

Thanks for all the tips so far.

Murph

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I recommend Techaticup, also known as Eldorado Canyon. It is downriver from Hoover dam on the Nevada side. There is an old general store there, lots of old cars and junk. Soemtimes they give gold mines. If you explore beyond the town, you can find more gold mines and some junk cars in the arroyos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here is one of the mines that you can walk right into just off the road beyond Techaticup.

[​IMG]

14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This stuff used to be between Hoover Dam and Kingman on the Arizona side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This Cadillac is in the ghost town of Delamar, which is a ways north of Vegas.

[​IMG]