Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage OT: Oshkosh Airshow Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OshkoshRob, Aug 2, 2008.

1. I'm nursing a multitude of "Blisters" on my feet at the moment!!!

My girlfriend was freaking out everytime she saw Harrison Ford, John Travolta and Gary Sinese...!

I rested my feet in the announcers tower for a bit and veiwed part of the show from there... however I spent most of the time looking for parts at the "Fly Market".

Met quite a few Aussies at the campgrounds... they have been attending this show for several years now and decided that camping 10 meters from the aircraft beat the crap out of hotels... didn't have to drive anything after a few "Spitfire" lagers...!

Another Aussie was pretty fired up when he found some rare "Mosquito" parts for a bird he's working on in "OZ" and my friend got him to meet Kermit Weeks main men that worked on Kermit's "mosquito".

Here's a little video for those that couldn't attend...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid626910413/bclid1699105619/bctid1703414358

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid626910413/bclid1699105619/bctid1676042820

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Ramblur

Ramblur

Many years ago when his "Fantasy Of Flight" was still a cow pasture I had
    the occasion to see Kermit fly the Mosquito down here. Scared the crap
    outta me as it appeared out of nowhere at treetop level, balls to the wall. Funny thing,last Wednesday about noon there was an OD P 38 buzzin the
    place. Thought that was odd cause afaik he was already in Oshkosh.

While I'm posting here I'll have to pimp the car,boat,plane show at Kermit's
    place this November.http://www.fantasyofflight.com/roar-n-soar/

3. jimmyv

jimmyv

Almost went a few years ago when I use to fly and had friends with airplanes. I have to resist looking too much. I'll want to get back into it and get my license current.

4. tedster

tedster

Thanks a lot for posting you guys. Great stuff.

5. The planes in my Avitar are of the other guys aircraft that practice formation flying together... the bird I ride in is a "U.S. Marine T-6" Silver and Green!

Saturday was rough for the T-6 guys because they were hanging out for an hour of diligent formation flying w/o "Poop Suits" or "Mae Wests" over Lake Winnibago... waiting for their turn to come up in the show!

As anyone who has flown formation can tell you... it is very intense and stressfull... maintaining formation without playing "Air Hockey" with 20 planes for 1 hour is tougher than most cross country flights lasting many more hours!!!:eek:

Fuel was low... temps were high... bladders were sloshing... I feel sorry for that flight... they looked as if they were in battle for a week when they returned!

Lost my camera on Friday... waiting for a disk from my friend so I can share some photos.

Well worth every penny to hang out with the history makers and their magnificent flying machines!!!:cool:

6. HB of CJ

HB of CJ

Thank you everyone for the great posts and super pictures. Going to THAT airshow is on my very short list. It's amazing...if it wasn't for all those airborn hotrods, we would be speaking German today. Thanks again. :) :) :)

7. superleggera

superleggera

I'll post pics in the next few days -- just got back a few hours ago to Seattle from Oshkosh for the 1st time. Definitely worth making the trip! The P51's were insane. The F-22 rewriting physics lessons while flying on Saturday was unbelievable. Great people and enthusiasts on the ground the entire two days I was there. Definitely for those who have thought or dreamed about going -- definitely do it -- you won't have any regrets.