Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT --O- & O+ Blood needed in NY/NJ/PA - PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TooMany2count, Sep 14, 2007.

1. This is a fathers plead for blood for his son's surgery which may be canceled because of the lack of blood in their area.
    From a Club HOTROD Post

From the above post...

Some of you guys and gals who have been around here for a while know that my son has had to have several spinal surgeries to correct his scoliosis issues. He is scheduled for surgery this Monday and I received a call last night from Shriners in Philly that there is a shortage of O- and O+ at the Red Cross Blood Bank and that his surgery might have to be cancelled (we have been waiting two years for him to make it into the surgical rotation). I immediately got on the phone with the local (to the hospital) blood bank and found out it's not just an issue locally, but nation wide...So here is my plea, if you have either O- or O+ blood and have not donated in the last 6 months, I beg you to do so now, TODAY. If you are in the tri-state area of NY/NJ/PA, you can tell them it is specifically for my sons surgery this coming Monday at Shriners/Temple U Medical Center........

Again, I'm asking for everyone to help out here, does not make a difference whether you are on the east or west coast, just go out and donate......I've helped you guys out in the past with whatever I could, now it's your turn to return this favor...Not for me, but for my son and everyone else who might be in need of blood.......

I'll thank everyone in advance, I know you'll do the right thing and spread the word as well.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

So PLEASE roll up those sleeves & give untill it hurts ...joe

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dam wish i could help..i think i have the right type blood too..but ive got tatoos and i dont think they take blood from us "bad elements" I think its an Ink issue..my best you you I hope you get enough to go forward with the sergery my prayers are with you.

3. 55bigwindow

55bigwindow
    from carver, ma

I think the tatoo's are only an issue if they are a few months old. I have a couple and give blood every 3-4 months. My blood is B+ so im no help, but good luck with the search.

4. You can have ink & pierced, BUT it has to be about a year since the last time. At least that's what my blood suckers told me. I haven't been able to give because of that reason & my Tattooist has a doctor on call & is certified through the doctor. I don't understand why they wont take mine w/those steps in place but its their rules...joe

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah i know it sucks and the recent ink issue is my problem too..not to mention probably too far away for you im in michigan but if i can help i will..they say 1 year? i think i may be there on my last tat.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I looked it up on the red cross site it is 1 year..and my last one is over 1 year old..do you need me i can check for sure if my blood type is good for you

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

can a person dictate where their gift of blood goes? how would i be definetly sure i have the right type?

8. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I don't think you can dictate where it goes but they always need blood.

We give here at work, they have an RV they bring over once a month...

If you are even remotely inclined to give, do it.... As they say, the life you save may be your own.

9. Rashy you can direct where it goes, I have done it in the past. BUT with the distance between where the donor is & where the person needs it may be a problem. BUT like you said they always need blood.

It doesn't matter if what blood type you have, just give some blood. Yes this child needs O- or O+ , but those of you w/other blood types it wont hurt to have your type on hand also for others who may need it. What I have been told in the past is at any given time there is only a few days supply on had. As for giving blood, you can do it every 59 days, at least thats what I have been told when I gave it. If it wasn't for me getting a tatto I'd be at the hospital giving it now. Also while you're there ask about giving Platelets, its a part of the blood that they use normally for cancer patients...thanks...joe

10. tjm73

tjm73

I just heard about this shortage last night. I give regularly. In fact I am giving Friday. I have a different type (A-, but nearly as rare) in the USA.

I didn't give, but thought about it for years. My girlfriend convinced me to just do it and stop thinking about it because her sister had a babay and lost 9 pints of blood. They were pumping it in while she was bleeding it out. She nearly died. I started giving and it makes me feel good to give. What I give saves lives. Her and her mom give regularly too.

Please give if you can.

In the US blood distribution in the poulation breaks down as such...

O+ = 38%
    A+ = 34%
    B+ = 9%
    AB+ = 3%
    O- = 7%
    A- = 6%
    B- = 2%
    AB- = 1%

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

My blood is near worthless - AB+

I'm a universal receiver, but can only donate to those 3% that are also AB+

Besides, it grounds me for 3 days, so my employer frowns on it for my career field...

12. I thought I would update you w/what I know. The surgery went well & Bills son is doing good.

I didn't realize the percentages before. Heck my wife is B+, I'm A- & our son is AB-. When I was giving blood & platelets my son would go w/me at times & when the nurses found out what blood type he had they all smile & told him they would love for him to come back when he was able. Yes the O+ & O- can normally be given to just about everyone BUT there are times when they prefer to give the patient the same blood type that they have...

Thanks everyone for giving the gift of life even if it wsn't for this child...joe

13. Here is a good incentive--
    Donating blood is also good for the donor, so get out and give blood.

Even if you never volunteer for anything, and usually do things only for your own self interest, this is a good thing to do to help yourself.

Some medical research studies reveal that donating blood helps the body become better at regulating it's own blood pressure.

Many many people are completely unaware that their blood pressure is slowly climbing, and damaging their eyes, liver, and other very important organs (hint, hint) until the irreversable damage has already been done before it becomes noticable. Then it's too late to do much about it.

I have been a regular blood donor since the early 1970's.
    It was the Red Cross that alerted me about my blood pressure starting to rise when I went to donate. Because of them, I was able to quickly head off trouble by lowering salty foods and adding Flax Oil to the recipies of a few favorite foods.
    Result from blood donation- blood pressure nice and low and healthy.
    I never would have found out and fixed it fast if it were not for the Red Cross Blood Drives.

And as they tell people- donating regularly helps the body get better at regulating it's own blood pressure.

My three kids donate regularly. I like to think that I helped them start a healthy habit.

Go out and donate right away.
    YOU can save two to three lives tomorrow.
    It's also good for your own health.

14. hoof

hoof

I haven't donated in a while, and I will have to look out for somewhere local and do it again. One thing that really bothered me is I was at two different major hospitals visiting people and tried to give blood in their honor while I was there. "Sorry we can't do that here, or we have a blood drive every other Thursday" or something like that. You would think when there is a shortage of blood a hospital would be able to collect. They certainly draw enough!
    CHAZ

15. Phil1934

Phil1934

The link didn't work and you didn't post your son's name.

16. Phil the child in question is a fellow member child over on CHR & yes the link in the first post isn't working at the moment because the site seems to be having power supply issue at the moment according to the owner.

hoof regardless of what the tell you please still donate, because at any given time there can be & has be a shortage in certain area's & personally when it come to this issue I'd rather there be too much then not enough...

I'll be glad when my ink dries so I can start again, but thats a years wait.

Once again thanks to any & everyone who donates blood....joe