Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Lincoln stick welder took a dump!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Clash, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

My lincoln stick welder took a dump yesterday. I wonder if any of you guys have had to tear into on eof these before. it's not the circut in the shop, i tested that. the damn thing just shut off and won't turn back on. you flip the switch on and nothin'.Is there a fuse or something inside?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd check the switch with a 240 volt meter to see if it is letting the 'tricity through. Check for broken wires and loose connections inside.

4. darling

darling

Have you checked the cord to the mach ??? Sometimes they get hot and they are molded plastic. The wires may have burnt off inside the plug or your cord has a break in the wires from the plug to the terminal point inside the mach. Yes some of the better quality machs do have a fuse inside.

5. darling

darling

On the face of the welder itself it should have a plate with all info as to what the out put of the mach is , It sould say "OCV" on it which is open circuit voltage . Follow the weld cables back inside the mach to where they hook up to the transformer . If the the OCV is say 50 volts AC then check your voltage at this connection point. If you have the proper voltage at this point then check your ground clamp connection and your stinger connection to see if the wire inside them are making good connection. Just remember that when you are checking this voltage your mach is "hot" so don't make contact with any thing or it will light your a$$ up

6. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

there should be a "bar type" fuse bar in it....depending on the year...but almost eveyone I've hel;ped get going again had them...you can get a replacement from your weding supply store...or wire in a circuit breaker to replace it...just go with one at least a high amperage ase your fuse bar.

7. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

My old lincoln has a fuse right in the front panel. It's prolly 25 yrs. old. Is yours a newer machine? How about goint to lincoln's website and look for troubleshooting tips?

8. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

9. Since it's a welder question I thought I'd at least post this. "Be sure to at least blow out your every 6 mos with an air hose. Take the side off & blow it out good. If your in an actual weldshop using the welder plenty, then you want to blow the thing out every 60days. If you've not done this, it's pretty important, especially if grinders are also used in the same aread. A build up of steel shavings will occur & start to short out everything. This is a big reason most welders break down in the 1st place." Carl Hagan