Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Jesse James For Mayor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, it's a good cause...

190 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. No, it's not relevant...

233 vote(s)
    55.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retrorod

Retrorod

I voted NO.

First of all, Jesse can promote the show just fine on his own.

Secondly, I don't think the H.A.M.B. needs any promotion.

The premise of helping some little town is good (in ANY way) but I really can't see it providing ANY long term benefit.

I don't watch TV anyway unless it's an old movie on TCM with lots of "new" 30's cars!

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

no no no, show gets on TV prices go up... prices too high right now, cant afford if traditional rods keap growing into american pop culture!

3. 31modelo

31modelo

I like JJ, but his fame has gone to his head. Who the fuck is he, he's got some money and notarity know he knows everything. What happened to the JJ that want to left alone( his words in MM3). I like the guy he needs a reality check.

4. hemi

hemi

Now it has been a while since I laughed out loud on the HAMB.... thank you.

And I want to add that I do think there is merit in the intentions... who wouldn't want to help America regain some of it's small town pride? Small towns and their special areas like steel working or wood products or manufacturing that have fallen on the wayside of streamlining and technology are a sad part of reality. We have some really good folks who gave a huge portion of their lives to America and ended up on the short end of the stick. I've been in numerous small towns that have passed their "golden age" and it IS depressing. Can they be fixed in a week by a TV show? Can you knock crooked politicians out of office for a week and not have them return to business as usual when you leave? Can you do a few good things and turn an entire town around that used to run on three times the commerce that it operates on now? I doubt if his Midas touch is going to turn every small town into Radiator Springs...

Like I said, good intentions... and it'll probablybe a "feel good show" like the Nanny or the house show, but a town is not fixed as easily as giving a new house to a needy family.

If he was genuine, he'd take all of the money made from each show and it's merchandising and dump it into the town like a charity...

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...did I just smell poo?...

Seriously, the only way I would be behind this idea is if Vern Tardell hadda hand in it somehow...and it don't look like that's gonna happen...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

What would happen if a part of the HAMBs involvement was a charitable act? Either thru raising funds, or volunteering effort? If the show was genuine about the helping aspect, I could get on board with that kind of thing. Not sure how a car show fits into that.

7. As far as the project goes, hell, I'm for it. Jesse has humble roots, and if I put myself in his shoes/unexpected fame, I don't think I'd a come up with a noble project like this, but then, I can be a self serving s.o.b.

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

He could do it at my hometown, Lamar, MO. It's about fourty miles from Joplin. We could add a drive-in night event, Sunday, after the HAMB Drags. There is a great, old dive-in in town that's open on Sundays.

Lamar just lost the O'Sullivan Industries furniture factory. It has been the main employer for about fourty years. The TV show might bring a new industry for that huge factory. For that reason, I would support it. For any TV exposure for the HAMB, Ryan would have to have complete creative control.

9. usedall9

usedall9

Nice!

I can see it now.......

H.a.m.b shirts @ walmart!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I think its an interesting project, but I dont hink the HAMB is the place for it.

11. PRESKRYS

PRESKRYS

God I forgot how many bitter old farts are on here, get over yourselves and the shit about this maybe wrecking the "HAMB"
    This is great in so many ways and would help many a people.

My vote YES, and my vote counts as 10 because I'm 24 and uncurrupted by years of woman, taxes, kids and a bunch of babyboomers reflecting on and wishing they did more with their lives and hating on a show that may help many people, because they believe it may become "POP" popular culture.

Sorry for the rant and you can flame on but ya'know I'm right.

12. Burny

Burny

I like the guy and all and have respect for his work ethic and some of the things he's done, but I don't get the connection at all. Not sure why the HAMB would want to promote it. Nope- not Relevent.

13. I have a thought or two on this subject....
    If and when Jesse James contributes to the HAMB in a constructive way....then he can ask for and deserve our support.

Many here have given of their time and skills and other material things ,to enlarge the base of knowledge about hotrods and their construction.
    Also most here contribute in different ways ,such as posting -INVALUABLE- "how to tech" and showing their technicues,developed from the many years of working in their trade....

I also think there are people here on the HAMB ,that are much better equipped both skillwise and financially than most here- that have not stepped up and did their part to do the same......

I had to vote no...I think the idea for his show is probably well intended,but it really does not have much to do with us here on this message board.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I know he was a complicated person and not many have factual thoughts about him but I wonder how Von Dutch would vote if he were a member here and knowing what happened to his name/legacy after the $$$$$$'s took over.
    I know that's a reach but mass media has a way of taking something that is pure and turning it into something with an unpleasant odor. the HAMB (and especially Ryan) won't be one bit better off by getting involved in ANY way with this. Nothing at all against Jesse or his projects, they just don't belong here.
    The rip-off artists will take advantage of ANYTHING they can make a buck off and even though you win a court battle to protect your good name why invite the possibility and drain your resourses over someting that could be avoided. Do I need to state how I voted?

Frank

15. hemifarris

hemifarris

Maybe we can add several more millions to his bank account.H.A.M.B. will not benefit,but Jesse will.....And we call Coddington and Foose television whores. All Jesse needs now is the Hawaiian shirt.I liked the original biker/car builder but now it's all about him.............Just my opinion....................Mike

16. DLW

DLW

I don't post on here much but I think that if it helps Ryan or the towns thats great. If it would help the vendors and builders that support this site that would be great also. I also think the popularity and prices for hot rod goodies is getting out of control and publicity and coolness won't help. But the hot rod/rat rod craze is already growing and I don't think you can do much about that. I think JJ is cool guy and very talented. I wish he would put on a show that would be all about building, welding and fabricating hot rods and bikes so i could learn a few things. I will most likely watch the show and he has my vote for the show getting aired but not sure on the rest. I hope it all turns out for the best.

17. DrJ

DrJ

Did Harold Hill ride a Harley?

And it was Marian Paroo, not poo...

18. i don't have any problem with jesse or his show idea. but, i think having the hamb on there is a mistake. remember the mess this place got to be shortly after the first mention in a magazine? i still see some of the negative effects from time to time. being on a tv show would be 10 times worse. as big as the traditional seen is today, i think, that most of the people involved already know of the hamb. i don't see whats to be gained from a tv appearance. just a bunch of newbie dumb shit to sort through again.

19. newstranger

newstranger

Not into it in any way shape or form... the narrator guy with the "movie trailer" voice was the nail in the coffin for me. Way too weird and glossy to the point of potential insincerity. Beware...

Not to mention the absolute tidal wave of new FNG's that would flood the best message board on the net. Let them find this place like everyone else has...

ns

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hahahaha....Awwwwwwwwwwwww...Bwahhhhaahahahahahahhahahahha

I love it... "uncorrupted" ...hahahhahahahhahah....

"I'm 24" ....hahhahahahahahahahahhaha... "by years of..." ...you just don't know kid, do you...??? Hahahahahahahahahah...best laff I've had in a while...Many thanx...I love it...

R-

21. You and the mods will be the one's that will have to double or triple your efforts and all associated traffic, server, policing all the new people and newbies/idiots/trouble it'll bring. I've seen other boards (pertaining to another/different hobby) get a big boost from things like this, next thing you know it was lots of server trouble, fighting, people doing hit & runs on selling, a mess, the old place was gone, all the old guys went away & now those newbies are the "regulars". I guess if a guy wanted to have fame by association, or to build membership to sell banner ads or sell the whole site it'd be good.

If it was my site I'd have to say thanks, but no thanks.

22. geemann51

geemann51

Absolutely Not. It does conjur up an interesting question however; Is 53burb going to be the Chief of Police?

23. now thats funny.

24. No, and for a lot of the reasons already stated.
    As popularity increases, so does the cost of shit I need to buy to finish my cars. I don't want my cars called "old skool" or "rat rods" by a bunch of retards watching a mainstream show.

Also, the more people join, the harder it will be for:

* Moderators to keep up with the bullshit posts
    * Me to keep up with the good stuff, as it will be 15 pages back in half a day. Sometimes I go up to 2-3 days before I can check back.
    * Off topic shit ( totally unrelated ) will probably increase dramatically.

Just imagine how many spam posts you'll see on here.
    I like the feel of this place now, almost has a small car club feel to it.
    I think you'll see a large increase in membership, by people just looking for a market to peddle their shit.
    This could spur a paid membership, which would deter a lot of great people that come here for the right reason.
    :mad: Not only no, but FUCK NO!!!!!!:mad:

25. hemifarris

hemifarris

WOW!!!Thanks for bringing us bitter old farts back to reality.Coming from such an eloquent speaker such as you brings me back to reality, especially since your vote is worth 10 votes.Now that you are on top and have the hot rod world by the balls maybe you can start working on your spelling.........just my opinion.... bitter old fart, Mike

26. I have a nice house, 4 cars , a beautiful wife that supports my hobby, a beautiful daughter that likes cars and a 6 figure salary. I've also served my country in time of war and been a volunteer firefighter for over 18 years.
    I'm pretty happy with what I've done with my life, and wouldn't change a damn thing.
    I don't see this show really helping anyone get anything, except a little TV exposure.
    You need to wait about 10-20 years, acquire a family, pay some more taxes and then......just then.....you may understand where hell we're coming from.

27. tooslow54

tooslow54

Fuck, I wish I lived in a "hick" town...

28. Steel Coupes

Steel Coupes
    from Midwest

Yeah negative -10.

He's Canadian......that's like being from Mars.

29. PRESKRYS

PRESKRYS

Let me put it this way peeps, I am just curious what the ratio in age is?
    I bet the majority voting yes are younger and have a more "glass half full" mentality than the latter voting no, which I'm sure are older.

Also while typing I don't always check my spelling, sorry gramps "uncorrupted" ya got me.
    Also I was being fesicious about my vote being worth 10, but maybe you think it does?

30. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

The idea of the show looks good, and i hope it's as good as i think it can be. I wish Jesse the best.

That said, i dont think it's HAMB relevant and I dont think the HAMB needs to be promoted on the show. After all, I dont think the HAMB needs or should be wide mainstream. That would hurt in the long run.

Im voting-- no. Instead of offering to promote, i'd love Jesse to teach and contribute his knowledge to the HAMB. That's his true value here, and he hasnt done that yet. If Jesse was active in that sense, i'd think the HAMB would be obligated to help promote.

That said, nothing wrong with some OT thread post on this. Looks interesting.

Good luck,

-scott noteboom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.