Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT? Jalopy Garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harkins, Sep 22, 2008.

1. So I had been renting a garage to work on my projects but we got booted back in August. Didn't really feel like paying rent again so I asked my Landlord if I could set up a Tent garage in the yard. Ended up being a lot more work than I expected but it turned out pretty good. Anybody else working on their project in one of these or anything other than a formal shop? This winter should be fun.

Attached Files:

2. skwurl

skwurl

I know a guy that built some pretty cool bikes in a tent. You're gonna freeze!

3. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

looks good dude ,i need one of those

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Better hope you don't get any strong winds this winter.

5. What's the snow load rating on one of those things?

6. I'll find out this winter :D. I just will have to keep up with getting the snow off. Also it's positioned under some trees so that helps keep some snow off. I was afraid of my cheap arrow shed caving in under the snow but I had no problems last year.

7. Good luck...man I remember wrenching in NE Indiana as a kid and freezing my ass off...what are you planning on doing in there this winter...welding might be tricky...oh well put on a pair of heavy coveralls, keep some adult anti-freeze in your flask and have a good build

8. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

You might want to put some more plywood under any engine stand or under the trans jack before you try to do anything. You could end up stuck until spring!

And, yes, you are going to freeze your ass off.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam dude thats Hard Core..

many winters ago I froze my nutsack off in my pole barn..swore up and down i was going to insulate, and add a wood burner..(so glad I did)

it becomes so hard to get motivated to go out and work when its so cold that the wrenches stick to your hands.

good luck

10. I might get a small propane heater and run that on low just to get the temp up during the winter. Also you'd be surprised how hot that green spot light gets with all four bulbs on haha. I'm used to the cold though, my first garage rental had no insulation at all and would get mighty cold but somehow we still managed.

11. i have one of those , but i just store junk in it and no work in it. i don't have a wood floor like your's , i put down a plastic vapor barrier and then some rock..helps keep it dry

make sure you anchor it down well as strong winds will push it around

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

when you say " get the temp. up" do you mean..from 20°F to say 25°F?

man your gonna need that thing pointing right at you when it gets colder than a well diggers ass..Im sure you know this, it sounds like you have had to put up with it before..I applaud your determination..im just not that young anymore.
    definetly been there done that..and it sucked!

13. I think it's secured pretty well. I lag bolted each of the steel legs to the platform. Then I screwed the tarp that over hang on the sides to the platform. Also I fixed the front door so there is no space in between the bottom of the door and the platform like there is in the picture above. It'll be an interesting experience the first wind/snow storm to say the least

haha I mean get the Temp up as high as I can without melting the cover

14. Man!

My wife bought me one on those "garages in a box" for X-mas a few years back. Worked great until we got 6" of snow followed by 1" of sleet and then rain.

Next thing I had was "garage in a box with a bunch of bent poles and supports laying on the ground".

In you neck of the woods, I'd keep a careful eye on the weather.

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Used to have a wood frame floor like that in a permanent garage. I'd recommend doubling the floor plywood with glue between layers and lots of screws. Then cut yourself a dozen assorted loose sheets of plywood, foot squares to throw under jackstands, longer pieces to go under floor jacks, etc. Do it before what you got starts cracking & deteriorating. Good luck

16. Thanks man, that's good advice. I'm only planning on renting this place for another 2 years max so I'll be very happy if it lasts that long

17. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I've got the harbor freight version I store crap in. Just get a roof rake and you'll be fine. We got ALOT of snow last year and everytime I plowed the driveway I'd rake the snow of the shed too. But I agree your going to freeze your ass in there! Ha ha, have fun.

18. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

i've had one the last two winters. definately have to rake the roof every storm, but also you have to watch how much snow piles up on the sides when you do! almost had the snow collapse the garage from the sides last year!

btw, being under trees is not necessarily a good thing. you get a little ice and wind and branches start to fall on the shed. takes very little to puncture that plastic when it's cold and brittle.

19. Well I know either way I'm fucked :D

I'm just trying to make the best of it!

20. mcload

mcload

Well, to each his own, but with a foundation (of sorts) already laid, it really wouldn't take much effort or money to sink some 4x4's around the perimeter to hold up some actual walls and to build a simple slanted ceiling. If even for 2 years, I'd call it temporary. It would be a bit more secure too. All it takes is one punk with a knife and you're toast. Good luck.

PS: As much as I hate being too hot, I can't stand being too cold!

21. Security is an issue of course. I do have renters insurance which covers everything in there except the truck. I also have a CCTV system set up out there to help deter any curiosity. But in the end if someone wants to take something they are going to take it whether it's in a tent, shed or locked garage.

22. norms30a

norms30a

Had a set up kinda like that years ago. Surprising how much nicer it was in there compared to outside. Scooped a little snow around the base to seal it and had a good heater going, and hot halogen lights. DON'T forget to vent the heater.

23. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I have an actual garage but its un insulated and un heated.
    I run a kerosine space heater style heater all the time and when its below zero(quite a lot after dark when im usually out there) I have a turbo heater that will run for 2min and the garage is 70-90deg then It kicks back on at 50deg. it will make me sweat when im standing and freeze when im laying on the ground. But when I painted the car this winter I kept the garage at 100deg and the paint dried real quick!!

Just make sure to spend the extra pennys to get the clean burning kerosine so you dont make urself sick with the fumes.

24. I had to use a kerosine heater at one of my old shops and even with clean burning stuff the fumes still got to me. My buddy let me borrow a propane one and it seemed a lot better. I'll most likely set up an exhaust fan just to be safe.

25. Not most likely...ya gotta set up an exhaust...those fumes are silent killers

26. Black Primer

Black Primer

If the garage thing doesn't work out, it would make a fantastic ice fishing shanty! I admire your determination.

27. Theres a place in Pennsylvania that sells old army tents on ebay. Those might work better than plastic and are set up with provisions for heaters. Some of them are HUGE.
    I was looking into them until the seller said the desert sun would do them in in a few years.
    If I recall, they were not super expensive.

28. Do you have a link for them or any info? That would be nice to have just in case my current set up fails.

29. http://www.calarmy.com/