Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/How many HAMBers play music?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yes.

Attached Files:

2. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Why play music, when you can live rock n roll, man.

You should see the guys get pissed when I play the blues harp around the office. Hehehehe......

3. If I didn't know better, I'd say I play geetar in Nad's band... he looks just like me.

Truth is I have 3 guitars (Japanese candy red, white bound Esquire, Epiphone "Lucille" and a POS acoustic), but can't even play a whole song all the way through.

4. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Crap. Forgot that I've done some classical guitar, too. I'd like to get back into it, but time is a problem. So is discipline. Well, it's raining outside now. 'Bye, I'm off to go get a hot chocolate at the coffee shop. [​IMG]

5. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Im 16 now, and have been a guitar player since about 5..Got an epiphone 'Flamekat" semi hollowbody, with just a marshall avt100 for the time being.
    Ive played electric bass for about 3 years, and last year spent my life savings on a double bass and new amp. I now am screwed 'cause i dont know if i want to save for a new guitar (an epiphone 'dot'), or save for some model A parts [​IMG]
    Gotta go, im suposed to be researching enviromental shit in Social studies in school, i find the HAMB better [​IMG]

6. Hmmm...

My Hubby surprised me with a guitar a couple of months ago. I'm teaching myself (with his help) to play. My fingers tingle but it's good.

I'm really enjoying learning. Here's a pic of my guitar, which I love. The only thing I love more is his Richenbacher semi-acoustic 12 string, which is much easier on my fingers...

Anyway.. guitars are FUN!

[​IMG]

7. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I play alto and tenor sax- mostly jazz...
    I also program hard industrial hip-hop, but I think you were asking about 'TRADITIONAL' music [​IMG]

8. I almost forgot!

I also beat the crap outta my bongos which is more fun than just about anything, but it's all for my amusement and I don't really take it seriously, except when my hubby says, "HONEY IT'S 11 p.m. STOP BANGING ON THOSE THINGS!!!"

hahaha

I have a set of Latin Percussion tunable bongos. They are incredibly cool. I get all crazy with them and have managed to convince myself in various drunken states that I'm the next Buena Vista Social Club- white girl style...

hee hee

Stacey

9. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

don't know if i'm truly a hamber yet since i'm so new... [​IMG]...but i have been making music for about 17 years now. started on the piano. played brass (mostly trumpet) for the last 10 years. i also play guitar, which i've been teaching others how to play for about 4 years now, bass, drums, harmonica, a little banjo, thought i was one of the few to own a mouth harp too. my baby is an ESP M-250 and i have a few amps too. i play everything from arlo guthrie to marilyn manson, but the 60's through the 80's are my fav musical times [​IMG]

cool sidenote (makes me feel really good anyway) was one of my first students couldn't even play a chord when he started taking lessons from me and after a few months he was good enough to play in the band at his prom [​IMG] it's always fun to feel that high of teaching someone something when they really get it. glad to see so many other musicians on here...we're all looking for as many creative outlets as we can find it seems.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Well, I wouldn't call myself a muscician but I do mess around a little on guitar, especially after a night of drinkin'! [​IMG]
    I play an Ibanez saber, Peavy 112 amp, Zoom 505 box and Bud Light. Mostly play death metal but I've been know to bust out some Black Sabbath, AC/DC, and Led Zepplin on occation. [​IMG]

Josh

11. fatabone

fatabone

I've played guitar since I was a kid. Made a pretty good living at it for a few years and now it's just a great hobby along with cars. Play my Taylor acoustic most times also have a Fender strat and a couple others. As for amps I have Mesa Boogie and vintage Sun amps.

My skate board was a Dog Town with Tracker trucks and Kryptonic wheels...now thats Old School.

12. crow

crow

I play BASS. Loudly.

Attached Files:

13. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Play bass in a Blues band...The King Tones........
    Also a gear junkie....too much to list but my baby is a '56 P bass.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Come on Donzie, Don"t be skerd, I'll let everyone know how good you are.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Frank

15. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

[ QUOTE ]
    I almost forgot!

I also beat the crap outta my bongos which is more fun than just about anything, but it's all for my amusement and I don't really take it seriously, except when my hubby says, "HONEY IT'S 11 p.m. STOP BANGING ON THOSE THINGS!!!"

hahaha

Stacey

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe nobody has commented on this yet. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Something good on the tube? or are we in the garage???? [​IMG]

16. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I just got back from playing a dance and saw this post.
    Into country swing, blues, and old rock, BB king, Ventures, old Stones, 40's big band, progressive jazz. Play bass in one band, lead guitar in another. Working on sax and drums. Have a Jap Strat, Les Paul studio "Gem" model, '71 Fender Super Reverb, Peavey bass w/ Mk IV head and the 18X20 speaker cab, an old Elkhart sax, etc.

pigpen

I like the Honkey Tonk music best also.

17. Yep..I'm another drummer been playing since 83... I was a Rush And Police fan in the 80's ...Had the double Kick Tama kit...also play some guitar have a 97 Strat sunburst..Like to attempt Dick Dale tunes.....born and raised a music nut..runs in the family...

18. palepainter

palepainter

Heres a relic of a shot. Me on the right...Circa 1985. A little smarter and balder these days. I also build guitars as a hobby.

http://www.learnguitars.com

Get the laughs in now... [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. 38pickup

38pickup

Well, I have been around music since i got home from the hospital, when my dad was practicing in the basement. Right now I play a hoped up les pual, with a crate amp. I am into allmost anything, I like listing to a 80's stuff especially a band my dad was in by the name of Parrish and The SUSPECTS. I like BB King, The Animals, Some Zeppelin, Tom Petty, etc.

20. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

palepainter, your buddies are skin-n-ny!

Hey, has anyone ever thought of a HAMB jam band? It could be called "the bad HAMB-a-jammas".

Sorry, it's late. I'm tired.

21. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

[​IMG]
    Im still undecided on whether another geetar is needed, or the start to my RPU [​IMG]

22. Michael Malice

Michael Malice
    from DePere, WI

I played bass in a hardcore band for 4 years. I currently DJ and produce Hard Techno. I am about to press 2 12" singles! I have been writing and performing music for about 13 years now.

23. krooser

krooser

I started playing guitar in '63...took lessson for a while but got sick of playing "On Top Of Old Smoky"...I wanted to play Rock and Roll..did the garage band stuff...discovered girls and cars, sold my '64 Fender Duo-Sonic....rediscovered guitars in the early eighties when I was making a living (no kidding) doing Karaoke and stand-up/improv comedy (and working as race track PR guy)...played and sang in bands again in the early 90's...but now I rarely play anymore (my playing still sucks!). I've got three guitars made by Strings and Things Workshop in Memphis...one St. Blues Bluesmaster (Tele/St. Paul combo) and two earlier S&T Customs..you can see these at www.ybafool.com...oh yea, and a '69 Fender Showman silverface with a custom four 15" bottom.

24. krooser

krooser

25. beatnik

beatnik

It's become more of a winter hobby, I play bass, some guitar, and mostly the fool.

I've got a bunch of stuff, but my favorite set up is an SG w/Seymour Duncans and a Red Bear (crazy Russian amp) 60W head w/KT66 tubes and a 4-12 cabinet.

26. raven

raven

I play guitar, electric and other wise.

I hear choprods and his bro can really turn the heat up.
    r

27. Music is the funnest thing you can do with yer friends next to working on cars.
    and it's not hard at all- take it from me.

now i play mostly organ and i own a couple of farfisas in various states of disrepair from my constant abuse.
    i also play guitar and bass.
    lately i've been really crazy about old amps, and i've started working on them and learning about tube electronics.
    a freind and i are going to start building our own soon.

www.haroldray.com
    www.alternativetentacles.com

28. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]
    Come on Donzie, Don"t be skerd, I'll let everyone know how good you are.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like the old man here.
    I started playing at 14 and I've been at it for almost 40 years.
    My brother taught me to play drums and I learned guitar from my dad (he's 80 and still plays).
    I played drums for a few years, bass for a few and now strickly guitar. I've played in country, rock and blues bands always as a weekend player. It sure helped pay the bills.
    Right now, in my spare time, I play in 3 groups. An acoustic duo (Acoustic Blends, for over 10 years) using a Taylor acoust./elec.
    A 6 pc. swing/jump blues/motown group (Three Penny Revue, 6 years) using a Heritage 575 guitar and a newer Fender Vibrolux amp.
    We recently put together a 4 pc. rockabilly/honky tonk group called The Detours. I use the same amp but play a '74 Tele.
    I have my dad's Fender Vibrolux that we bought him for Christmas in '68.
    I have the first new bass I bought around 1970. It's a Hohner fretless.
    I also have a Harmony American (like Buck Owens red/white/blue Hew Haw guitar)
    Wish I still had my Ludwigs.
    My son, 33, has been playing drums since he was 14.

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

[ QUOTE ]
    Play Keyboards, Piano, Fiddle, Mandolin, Drums, Saw. Been in several regionally popular bands over a 25 year span. Just play at home now or if my neighbor needs a keyboard track layed down in his studio.

If there is ever a resugance in the demand for old white blues singers, I may be famous yet, but then I guess Tom Waites has that gig sown up. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never knew that......we need to talk.

30. krupanut

krupanut

I play rhythm guitar and sing/ write with a Trio called High Noon.
    We toured non-stop from about 88-95
    Did allot of cool stuff, Carnegie Hall, Conan O’Brian, TNN.
    Played all over the world, we were even the first American Rockabilly band to play in Russia.
    We've slowed down allot and now days we hit festivals 3-4 times a year.
    On our way to Finland tomorrow.
    Y'all can check it out here if you like:
    This is an insane fan page put up by a fella in Germany.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/4163/

I have been doing some solo recordings and shows with the Horton Brothers backing me and the new cd will be out in January

As for equipment, I started with a Gretsch Rancher, 68 model
    It looked cool, sounded like crap. Traded it for a 57 rancher that had a few mods done to it, sounded good.
    I also had a local luthier build a custom acoustic modeld after my Rancher (this is before Gretsch started re-issues).

I also play drums and have played for many groups through the years.
    Marti Brom, The Horton Brothers, even played the skins with Wayne Hancock until he saw High Noon doing it drummer less a few times. Lost one gig because of another [​IMG]

Let’s see drums:
    39 radio kings with a 24 in bass (rare)
    40 Ludwig’s.
    Have had:
    49 leedys
    65 Rogers Holidays.

Guitars at the moment:
    RK Shaun Young sig. High Noon Acoustic.
    Gretsch Serria Jumbo
    Gretsch 62 single anniversary
    Gibson 64 minute man amp.

here's a pic from spain a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Files: