Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Goofy Car Show Gimmicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Monster Rat, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I think Mooneyes sells those surfboard mirrors.

When I was a kid I scored a stuffed tiger tail at the Esso station with my gramps. Damn, I loved that thing. Hung it from the three-foot tall sissy bar on the back of my Schwinn knock-off bicycle.

dka

2. Sumtingwong

Sumtingwong
    from Enola, Pa

Every activity has a "uniform", if you think about it. When I was in H.S., the stoners all wore jeans, black concert T-shirts, a grey sweat jacket inside a jean jacket, and hiking boots. The jocks wore their jerseys.

I'm a musician, and I have been guilty of emulating my peers at times by dressing like a slob on purpose.

There are also those who arrive late to the scene and desperately want to be the penguin square in the middle of the iceberg, so as to feel accepted and safe. They tend to look at the standard behaviour of the group and then try waay to hard to define what is "real and what is "fake". (These are the guys you see trying too hard to pretend they live in the fifties. They are "safe" because they're the most "retro", therefore, "real".). Ten of fifteen years ago, it took some balls to have that look, but people did it because they liked the vibe, choosing to accentuate all the best things from that era.

I knew a guy who was obsessed with being a "real" biker, and only dating "real" biker chicks, calling everyone "posers" who fell outside of the standard leather, orange and black.
    He was an idiot. He never in his life had an original thought.

Oh- An Orca Betty is a somewhat chunky, tatted out retro chick. They all are emulating Bettie Page, more or less, but too much PBR and mashed potatoes, coupled with all the tattoos, have turned some of them into technicolor billboards. (and if you don't know who Bettie is, go do a Google image search and be amazed at what natural beauty really is. )

3. Nope, no different - those "Costumes" are silly as well.

4. Last night I was at a local Cruise Night. There was some shizz box with junk all over it, model cars, stuffed animals, advertising etc. not even sure what the car was - didn't care. Anyway this dude was walking by with his kid, bout 5 or 6 I guess, and the kid says "Daddy, that might be a cool car if there wasn't all that junk on it"
    I just took a sip of my Ice tea and it came out of my nose when I heard that. Now that kid has a future in cars!

5. There's no accounting for taste.

The lower end of the bell curve is there to help one feel better about one's self.

Speaking of which, there's peopleofwalmart dot com.

6. French sociologist Emile Durkheim posited a theory of religion in his seminal book "The Sacred and Profane." In this theory, the "sacred" represents the interests of the group, especially unity, which are embodied in or group totems and objects. The "profane" simply means everyday mundane objects. One of the functions of religion is the ritual transformation of objects from the profane into the sacred.

If we consider hotrodding a type of secular religion -- with its own dogmas, priesthoods and hierarchies -- we might consider the festooning of cars with crybaby dolls as a type of sanctification/cleansing ritual performed as a supplication to the hot rod gods.

Or maybe I just started drinking too early this morning.

7. The late Lil John Buterra said it best when asked about displays. If the car can't stand on its own than it isn't worth looking at.

8. This guy earned another trophy to go with his collection:

[​IMG]
    :D

9. hemi

hemi

Maaan, I would love to walk by those shelves and have a friend push me into that display, or "accidently" back into it if I was in the row in front of him. That is just stupid. And a lot of those trophies came from little cruise-in shows. I've seen locals here suffer for six hours in 110 degree heat in a 15 or 20 car show waiting on their trinket. You should go to have a good time. If you win something, bonus...

[​IMG]

10. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

hahaha i think that is a jersey guy with those trophys, he spends sooo much time setting them up. also he has tons of cb radio stuff in that car

11. toledobill

toledobill

Smartest use of a prop I ever saw was back in ’59 when a guy in town had one of the first custom gold flame paint jobs on his white ’55 Chevy convertible. Two days before the local Autorama some low life saw his car parked outside a bar and keyed the hood right through the multi-hued gold flames. Without time to redo the flames and not wanting to drop out of the show, the guy bought a big stuffed tiger and taped it in place over the damage. All the spectators bought it as a decorative addition to the gold-and-white theme, the judges never looked underneath the tiger, and he won first place in Mild Contemporary Custom.

12. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Hey you talkin to ME? I'm 50 and I'm still wearin the jeans,boots and chain wallet, but thats just a throw back to my biker roots back in Chicago (loooog before it was cool and a fashion statment to be riding a chopped Harley) thats just how we dressed and besides, were else ya going to hide your drugs if not in the cuffs of your blue jeans? Anyway, the wallets 30 years old and it still works so i'm not getten rid of it!

As far as show GIMMICKS I like to bring along a nice skinny young chick in a thong, hell I dont even have to bring a car or a bike along and I still get all the attention.:eek::)

13. rusty28a

rusty28a

Cry babies must die!!!!

14. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

The only thing I every displayed with a car were build pics. Oh, and a "Red Ball" antenna topper. Made the car easier to find.:D

15. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

people in mini-soda probly dont know the details of surfing, till it flys off at speed??

16. Another display at the car shows that makes you all warm and fuzzy is this one ....

[​IMG]

Complete with wax french fries, hamburger and hot dog.

17. DANSPACH

DANSPACH

I do a lot of car show judging (just local level) and I will automatically send to the bottom of the pile any car who has trophies on display. Let the car speak for itself. Usually when I have the Crosley in a show I try to do something funny as a conversation starter. Since it is usually the smallest car there, I will stick a wind up key on the back or a V8 can next to the carb (Hey don't make fun, I got a V8 under the hood). Or I put one of my spare blocks (a screaming 12 pounds) on display for people to see and handle. I know it's HOKEY but it gives me a chance to talk to people and make it a fun experience for all. When all else fails, I challenge them to a race (my rules....race is 40 miles long and we get one gallon of gas!!!). Part of our task is to show people how much fun we can have with our cars. Getting the kids interested is the future of our hobby. Who knows...one of those little guys that goes by your car today might be the guy with the check in his hand 25 years from now!!!

18. starchief1959

starchief1959

Here's a few I've seen. Personally the dead cat I liked.:D

Attached Files:

19. You said "supplication" tee hee :p

20. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Or maybe the saddest gimmick.

21. When trophy makers have shows, what do they hand out for prizes?

22. carbking

carbking

As far as the GTO tiger tails are concerned, both Esso AND Pontiac offered these to the consumer.

Pontiac offered a mind-boggling array of gimmicks to include: tiger tails, GTO tie tack, GTO cuff links, GTO tie, 45 RPM records cut by "The Tigers" and a host of other gizmos. I have Pontiac advertising to prove all of the above, and have each of these items in my Pontiac collection.

I guess whether these items are considered tacky OR period memorabilia would be left to each individual.

I personally like the display boards with original sales brochures, owners manuals, and other period items, but others probably do not.

One of the records offered was "Sounds of the GTO at the GM Proving Grounds". We played this record at one of the local car shows over the loud speakers; and the "1/4 mile test" immediately followed by the "braking test" had spectators crawling under cars!

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Pontiacmemorabilia.htm

Jon.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  23. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

You seriously don't think people on here know who Bettie Page is? :eek:

24. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Can I have the Paul Stanley cutout???????

25. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I've got the orange 76 antenna ball only because it was given to me and it matched my truck.

26. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Best story I heard involving those cry baby dolls was a kid, maybe 4 or 5 that thought the thing was real and was trying to talk to it and see what was wrong. When the doll wouldn't talk, the kid got pissed and said, "well fine, don't talk to me" and hit the doll. When it just fell over, the kid didn't know what the hell to do.

27. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I think a good idea is to fill the back seat of the car with beer cans and bits of womens clothing that would get attention.

28. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

O.K., I have to admit that I'm tempted to drop kick every crybaby doll I see, but that's just my evil tendancies trying to surface yet again. I always resist the urge and move on (so far).

29. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

Wow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.