Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Goofy Car Show Gimmicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Monster Rat, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monster Rat

Monster Rat
    from Casper WY

What is the deal with all the props and gimmicks that people use, in and around their cars at shows? I see countless teddy bears, tiger tails hanging out of GTO trunks, etc. My opinion is, if the car doesn't warrant attention on its own, please don't adorn it with a bunch of crap. I can kind of understand a photo album of the build, or a discription plaque, but the other stuff is just plain goofy.

What's the funniest prop/gimmick you've seen, and how do you guys feel about 'em?

2. I think its ridiculous. Last time I was at cruise night there was a mid 60's T-bird with the worlds largest stuffed pink elephant sticking through the sun roof!!!
    And here is the worst part, My dad took my dragster to a local show and shine one weekend when I was out of town. When I got back he showed me some pictures he took, AND THERE WAS GIANT PANDA BEAR SITTING IN THE DRIVER SEAT OF MY DRAGTSER!!!!! Oh I was so pissed I could have beat him silly with that panda. My dad on the other hand thought it was hilarious.

3. I normally have a stuffed something or other in my ride. Its not a gimmick for shows usually something I grabbed in a claw machine of won at a carnival.

I think the funniest and probably the most distasteful was one of those damned cry baby dolls stuck under the tire a model A. I think the guy was going for the sinister look.

To understand the tiger tail hanging out of the Goat you would have had to have been there. it was an advertising gimmick used by Pontiac when the GTO was popular.

But more often than not whoever is useing whatever prop just thinks it cool. Kinda like wearing a Pompador or buying your jeans too long and rolling them.

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Yeah I dont like them either.

Would I ever do it? NO

BUT, in the grand scheme, who am I to bitch about somebody else's "display". Its not hurting anything.

Smile, shake your head and move on. I'm sure you can find something else to be pissed off about in a few minutes.

5. DrJ

DrJ

It was a gasoline company ad, actually;
    [​IMG]

I think the cry babies are stupid, but the drive-in trays and stuffed carnival toys inside are kinda fun. Some people just like to have fun with their hobby without making it into some sort of weird overly solemn orthodox religion. You know the kind, were you aren't allowed to sing and dance or have any kind of FUN?
    We always keep a "car rodent" in our cars after the tradition started on our honeymoon. We stopped in Circus Circus on the way to the Grand Canyon just to see what it was like and I was shooting hoops in the carnival on the kids midway and winning a bag full of stuffed animal toys, half a dozen or so.. Well when we got home, one of them, a mouse, managed to never get removed from the car's coffee mug holder so we knighted it the car mascot. We've put some kind of small "rodent" in every car since. Mind you, they are all small enough to fit in an arm rest coffee mug holder.
    Life is short, don''t take it too damn seriously...! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Not for me. But then I guess the flames on my car are sort of a gimmick.

7. a guy at a show was getting lambasted by this broad because he had a couple cry baby dolls that looked like they were working under the hood and somehow he managed to make them shudder around when a recording of his engine starting up. best part he had the stuffing from another doll that was being blown from under the hood, funny as hell but i guess shocked a couple kids. oh that bitch was pissed! the guy always had some gag going. he's telling her just be glad its not the stuffed cat i usually have being tossed out from under the hood!

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Around 1971 a buddy of mine had a chopped 67 Firebird, Blown small block, bright yellow, Had a seven foot tall "Big Bird" Sesame Street character in his display at the OKC Starbird show. Sorry Ric, told on ya.

9. Jaker

Jaker

I saw this sign at a show once:
    [​IMG]

10. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

Speaking of goofy things at car shows, how about the grown men with chain driven wallets, gas station shirts, work boots, rolled up jeans, and 40 year old greasy hairstyles. It wouldnt be so bad if it was one or two guys, but when its 6 or 8 guys doing it , its just goofy. You're not being an individual if you're all dressed alike.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

My old A pickup is chock full of gimmicks nowadays......and I don't see anything funny about it....it saddens me. :( And these pics are not showing all the latest "additions".

Very few "add-ons" ever actually ADD to the overall picture.

Attached Files:

• 253.jpg
      253.jpg
      File size:
      93.5 KB
      Views:
    • 248.jpg
      248.jpg
      File size:
      379.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

R is for Wrong, just plain wrong.:(

13. I put a sign in my shitty 49 Fleetline at a show that said "Touch but don't look". LOTS of people didn't think it was funny either.

14. Sometimes it's an inside joke that you are not privy to or just haven't been around long enough know...

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

People are inherently dumb assholes and it seems that the the more money they have the dumber they become and gain lack of taste.

16. Also classic Pointac Motor Division Advertising.

You should remember you were there. Well maybe not they say of you can remember the '60s you weren't there.

Attached Files:

17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Can you gain the lack of something Nads? That just seems contradictory.lol I do agree that money does not BUY taste though. LOL

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, somebody must really know where it started. It's a carryover from early indoor shows. To this day you still get extra points for add ons in ISCA. Add ons like gas-oil-water cans, tool box, jack, fire extinguisher, and even more for lights and such. All before the car gets judged. So now it's morphed into cry baby dolls and the like. Problem? Only for true diehard absolute enthusiast that came to see the car...or the whining asshat that can't find anything else to bitch about:D

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The crydolls are a real downer. I think those detract from a nice car in the biggest way. One guy told me he put coffie grounds in his new top so it would be aged.
    I told him it looked fake.

20. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

I think its just an older generation thing. They just try to have the fifties vibe so much, that they'll pretty much use any props on or around there car. It totally distracts you away from the car, and makes you think how awful or over the top the "decorations" are.
    Im personally tired of see those crying babies leaning on the cars.

Just bring the car, thats what i say and bringing pics of the build wont hurt either.

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You got me there pal.

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

No he doesnt.

If Colin Chapman could Add Lightness, you can Gain the Lack of something...:D

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the funniest gimmick of all is the "parasol carrying orca betties" seen at all the "hip" shows.

24. Hey I resemble that remark. :D:D

In the early '60s the big thing was flashy displays and dioramas at some of the bigger shows. I don't remember crybaby dolls that's a '90s goodguys type of thing.

We normally ended up looking at the "other cars".

25. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

WOW a lot of stuff covered on this Thread ! Older Generation, New Generation. Props, Gimmicks, Some the Built Cars, Some Bought the Cars because they wanted to be part of what they thought was a cool hobby. Is it my Imagination or Dont 99.9% of the cars on Hamb unless they are bone stock like from factory have a "Gimmick" ? slammed, Chopped, Custom Wheels, Custom Shifters that are 3 feet long. :cool:

26. Ruiner

Ruiner

I hate it when people bring their old cars to the show, that's just ridiculous that people still drive them...they all oughta be crushed by now...damned ugly old junk, buy a Prius and be REALLY cool...

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It goes back to the 50s with the indoor shows. Lots of stuffed animals and angel hair. Some of the display items were to garner extra show points like the fancy painted oil, gas and water cans. It was a competition then.

The cry baby dolls appeared when the street rodders reached grand parenthood. The ladies loved them. I think the guys just didn't want to upset the better half.

The tele-trays were kinda cool (since I ate some Teen Twists off of a few) when they first came out but I'm beginning to think that they became a 55-56 Ford rare option with momma wearing a poodle skirt.:eek:

28. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

The best one I have ever seen was a male cry baby on the front bumper and if you got too close it would activate a loud FART from a hidden machine in your direction. Also I think the guy had it there because his car was turd and he wanted to detract from it.:cool:

29. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

the worst thing i ever had by my car was Aaron Grote. I almost got arrested.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there used to be a guy at the local swaps that had an animal cage with some sort of fur animal looking thing in it. something like a fox skin or something. he had it rigged so it looked like a real animal. when people got close he would do something and the cage would spring open and the "critter" would come flying out, scaring the shit out of people.

that was a fun gimmick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.