Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Do you ever work on your neighbor's stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RugBlaster, Sep 8, 2009.

1. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

improvement for sure! had kinda the same problem with a young kids truck a few years back did some stuff to it, a few days later the old man calls, really pissed off, told him to shove it up his ass, forget the bill, I was about 5 seconds from putting a lien on that bitch. going against the grain (that kid , your little buddy) thats really cool to me, help him do more stuff, you've just created a little monster

2. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Do I ever work on neighbor's stuff? Yes but not for money. Years ago the house I had only had a carport. With a project or two out there I have to admit it wasn't the best kept place on the block. I had a neighbor come over and ask if I'd do a brake job for him. He insisted that he would pay for the work. Well I smelled set up. In the back of my mind I was certain that when the job was done he would be turning me in to the city for running a repair business out of my carport in a residential neighborhood. I just said thanks but no I don't do repair work at home. He was kind of ticked and I'm sure it was because I foiled his little plan.

I know this isn't your particular case, just something to keep in mind.

Lee

3. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

C-U-N-T .....

Make em' file suit.... OVER a set of HANDLEBARS.... :D

What are they going to get for all that trouble? $50.00?

See ya on Wapner... :D

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks a whole lot better and I'd bet that it is a lot more comfortable to ride than it was.

I need something like that for my "genuine Jesse James" fat tire bike that is intended to be my Bonneville pit cruiser one day.
    These have to be the most uncomfortable handlebars ever put on a bicycle. The seat is going away too.
    Add one of those 70 cc Chinese put put motors and I'm off an running.
    [​IMG]

No close neighbors now but I fixed a lot of bicycle flats, adjusted chains and whatnot when I lived in Texas and the neighbor kids discovered that I would help them or let them use my tools to work on their bikes in my garage.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

my neighbor is a dipshit.

6. 65stepside

65stepside

hmmm
    i think its a big improvement
    if it were me when i was a wee boy my mom would have been ok with it
    in fact she would have brought you a thank you beverage or baking
    i think your nagbor may have control issues

7. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I would be super careful with this one.do you know where his parents work?in my old neighborhood the guy across the street was a real dick i let it go for a long time,the one time i was a dick back to him one week later i had the code inforcement people up arse!turns out his oldest son works for the city.buy some handlebars man.it sucks but we gotta pick our battles.explain to the mother you were trying to help him out,yada yada......and next time you will make sure he has the ok,next thing you know water under the bridge and you are the good guy now.its worth a shot.

8. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

In a way I think she's hitting on you.
    How old is the kid?

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Man you did some great work, the handlebars are 100% better.

That said, brother if the kid gets hurt on that bike, now you're in the chain of responsibility and that c you next tuesday of a mother of his will really go after you.

In these litigious times, I don't even think I'd let a neighbor kid hang around my garage, shitty as that sounds.

Besides, truthfully you shoulda made his mother call you and tell you it was OK before you did something like that anyway.

That doesn't excuse her for being a bitch.

My 2 cents? Spend the $50 for new handlebars-let a bike shop install them so its on them if they fly off-and hang the old ones on the garage wall to remind you that no good deed goes unpunished.

Then tell the kid you'll teach him how to weld when he turns 18 :D

10. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's good shit there man ! wait til the hubby gets home and invite him over for a beer and then tell him you can change a few things on his car, wife will love that!!

11. picasso

picasso

Be patient! That kid should be hooked now. He has seen that custom bars not only look cool but piss Mom off. Before you know it he will be scraping the top layer off her paved driveway with his rear bumper and and stealing her kitchenware to cut up for custom air cleaners ha ha ha .............who's laughing now bitch.

12. THe world we live in! No more Beaver Cleaver or Happy Days, well then, attitude sets the stage, thank you! I say give em what they ask for, thier choice.........

On a better note, when I was a kid at the age of 11, I had a bike and I talked my neighbor with the welder ( who drove a '56 Chevy 3-deuce 327) into helping me build "chopper forks" outta some steel from another neighbors swingset and it was crazy! This same guy was very helpful over the years in my pursuit of building hot rods understanding the black arts, you know, wiring, manual transmissions etc, all before I was driving, at least legally! Thanks Richard McNulty!

13. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

Ok, here is the latest. The Dad calls me this morning and said he was sorry for his wife's attitude. She had e-mailed photos to him. It seems they were supposed to get a Schwinn bike called a Jaguar which had the beach bars on it from the factory....they got the Skyliner instead, and the kid didn't like the bars on it.

He's gonna bring some beers over to pay me.

When I was a teenager, there was a guy who lived around the corner from me. He worked on stuff in his garage....I ended up learning a few things and helped him out some....he moved off (he was in the military) and gave me a 220 amp Lincoln welder, he said he wasn't that good at using it. He was a good guy. Floyd Maddox.

I not going to quit what I do, and I would urge ya'll to do the same. There is no telling what you might cause.

I think when Dad gets home he's gonna give the "ole ball and chain" a good horse f**kin'

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Sounds like the husband has some good sense. Bitches be crazy

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

Alright! Time to teach the kid to build a ramp and have a few cold ones with the dad!

16. Vorhese

Vorhese

Thank gawd for the sensible Father.

17. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Amen! That and people need to quit being so uptight.

18. v8 garage

v8 garage

Glad to see this had a happy ending. Alls well that ends well!
    V/8

19. tunes

tunes

All's well that ends well. It sounds like you have everything under control.

20. rev383

rev383

21. budd

budd

old dad;s life must be hell at times i bet, after a few beers your going to hear all about it...lol

22. Kingcrow

Kingcrow

on your better note...its funny how a neighbor can make a life long impression on you as a kid

when I was 17 I spun the bearings in my 383 mopar, and had no idea how to fix it. my neighbor was a diesel mechanic and came over to look at it (he made me pull the engine and do the hard work..good lesson) he took the crank had it cleaned up at work. brought it home the next day and bolted it in and check for clearance so fast my mouth dropped. really a cool guy.

seems like back then people where in their front yards meeting their neighbors more than the back yard like today

23. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Good work and good job. You have a chance here to bring both the father and son over to the dark side. Show him how you did the work and the great time you are having and you never know.
    Father and son could be turning wrenches and arcing their initials in plate steel before you know it.
    You know, I have had 45 fine years of rodding because a kind and knowlegeable guy like you helped me out as a kid.

24. You just better pray that he doesn't go and jump that thing and they break .....

25. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Yea those hookers dont always look like cops:D

26. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No hookers just a dirt bag I was working with. Cops cuffed me for safety they said, like I'm gonna fuck with them they have guns I don't.

27. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Tell her to go kick rocks. Those handle bars looked great. Im pretty sure you'll be seeing that kid again. Ya never know he might look up to ya and may want to help out....Great story, just sucks that she reacted that way.

28. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Saw the movie..wtf was up with slingblade and the indian fried tater story?

back on target mikey... I think the next thing the kid needs is to see his bike with a bullet fairing on it or a chrome led headlight with a visor

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009