Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Crossing the US/Canadian border

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick32vic, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

What documents does a person need to cross the border?

Lets say I want to go over there this weekend and see the sights. Besides a passport, what documents (Birth Certificate, Social Security Car, etc.) will get me forth and back from Oh Canada!?

2. DL is all you need if its just go drink beer and go to strip joints when your 18 ....so I'm told

3. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Better hope you don't have any DUI's.

4. bct

bct

yep a drivers licence is all you need...come on up

5. Petey

Petey

Actually its 19 Louver Dude.

If you dont have a passport they are starting to get somewhat pissy. But Im sure they will still let you over with just a birth certificate and a drivers licence.

Let me know when you plan on coming over.

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I got hassled the last time crossing into Windsor when I didn't have a raised seal birth certificate.

As of NEXT January a US citizen crossing the boarder into Canada in a car will need a passport.

7. silent rick

silent rick

they scan your license, so it better be clean, no drugs or gunpowder residue. also, they turned a few of us away for felony arrests. even dui's can get you turned away.

8. zombiehut

zombiehut
    from calgary

To enter Canada by land you need proof of citizenship ie:US issued birth certificate plus goverment issued photo id. or a I-551 (green card) will be accepted.
    I looked it up at work ( work for a airline)

9. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

I think you just need I.D untill next year then you will need a passport

10. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

As far as I knew you need a passport as of last Jan? Maybe that's just Mexico...

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

ID...Really?? Imagine that. :rolleyes:
    I think he realizes that and is asking what KIND of ID they are accepting.:p :D

Nick, if you have your heart set on heading across to Windsor don't take any chances and just bring both your drivers license and your birth certificate.

12. Sniper

Sniper

Not a big deal crossing into Canada,and down right easy if your prepared. Yes, have a birth certificate, social security card, and photo ID (drivers licence) available, before you get to the booth. Answer the questions your asked. Citizenship? Where do you live? Reason for your visit? How long are you going to be staying? That usually covers it, unless you pique their interest for some reason.:rolleyes: DON'T, and I repeat. DON'T:eek: try to bring a hand gun or tobacco into the country. I guess they don't like things that smoke!:D If you have a radar detector, turn it off. If the cops pick up a signal, you will lose it. Those are the don'ts. Other than that, make sure you have a great time while your here. And the last time I checked, the exchange rate was around 16 cents on the dollar in your favor. Better than a kick in the ass with a frozen boot.;)

13. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

From some of my gun owner friends If your going with your daily driver ,lets just say your pick up with a gun rack in it expect to spend lots of time at the boarder!I have also read of guys having their vechiles held and searched for 4 hours because of an NRA decal in the window!One also held for an exremely long time because of a single 22 caliber bullet found in a door pocket/drinkholder at the bottom of his pickup door

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Flying anywhere, even Canada and Mexico, you now need a passport, crossing the boarders in a car, passport won't be mandatory untill Jan '08.

15. zombiehut

zombiehut
    from calgary

As of jan23 anyone entering the USA by air , Americans included need to have a valid passport. By land or sea is not for another year or more. There have been exceptions made by customs gaurds to let people in without passports. Canada doesnt require passports yet.