Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT? CB Radio in your Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Zumo

Zumo

Anyone run a CB radio in their car? My brother and I are thinking of doing this to talk to each other during cruises or driving up to a car show and other event, far ones. Yes I know there are cell phones but talking on the CB is free. We use hand helds but it seems like it would be more fun to use CBs. Plus we can listen for and "Smokys" out there.

I remember as a kid my Dad having one in his 46 Chevy truck. I am wanting to get a vintage one but they are hard to come by. My best bet is ebay, craigslist or garge sales. So we'll see.

2. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

walkie talkies are free too...unless you count the batteries and purchasing them. Smoke signals are free too.

Seriously though, do it if you want. It does sound kinda Smokey and the Bandit-ish, which is cool to me, but might not be cool to you.

3. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Breaker breaker one nine, this is the rubber duck!
    Do it, used to run one in the four wheel drive when we would go out, they are a lot of fun if you can keep the racist assholes of your channel.

pat59 likes this.
  4. Zumo

Zumo

How old are CBs? I mean when did they start getting used in vehicles?

5. I think that was cool in the 70's and 80's. When I was a tyke going to NSRA stuff in the back of dad's 34 vic, I remember seeing lots of cars with the tall white antennas on the bumpers.

6. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Go for it... I am thinking of putting one in mine...

7. Zumo

Zumo

I think you're right. The more I read about it it was nto used much in the 60's. Mostly the 70's and 80's

8. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

First one I remember was when my dad put one on our brand new '69 Pontiac executive. KBR4503, out.

9. ratstar

ratstar

I'm gonna run one. You can get small units to put in and hide them if your worried about looks.

10. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

might come in handing when your broke down in a non cell phone area... I was thinking about it as well..good thing is you can hide the CB.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

40 Channel Cobra's are small, can be hidden nearly anywhere...put an "external" speaker where the original radio speaker used to be...and use a small Firestick antenna with a detachable mount on the rear...I have one in every one of my cars...wouldn't go on a long distance run without one...

R-

12. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

nope, couldn't hear it anyway.

13. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I have one in my daily for long drives, anything on the interstate for more than say 40 miles. I have a 24' Firestick anttena and a second quick release plug, so I'll prolly set uo my coupe for my CB to be easily moved from dialy to the coupe for long trips when the car's interior is done.

Vance

14. GlenC

GlenC

I still have my 1970's 40 channel HMV Roadhound CB radio carefully stored away to use in a rod. I dig it out occasionally and hook it up to the car battery to make sure it still works OK.

Breaker breaker, 10-4 good buddy, and all that Smokey and The bandit stuff...

Cheers, Glen.

15. Searcher

Searcher

I've worn out several CB radios over the years. We use them on the job in Dump Truck work.
    I too was just thinking about putting one in my 35 Ford.
    A Cobra 29 is a good radio, but not small. It needs to be were you can reach it easily.

You'll have too shoot alot of shit to get good on them :D

16. pecker head

pecker head

I run a cobra classic 29 in the Turquoise Turd , Bassfire run's one in his 36 , fun as hell on a run !

17. BobK49

BobK49

Breaker breaker -one-nine! A CB is a handy tool, and can be fun when cruising 2 or more cars across country. We've had up to 9 cars on the same channel on a 700 mile trip to Goodguys Charlotte. Had to skip it this year, damn heart attack. I'll go again next year. Anyway, the CBs sure help pass the time, keep us all together, and we get road info from the truckers. We usually run on channel 5, except when needing local traffic info, then jump to Ch 19, good buddy! 10-4

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

Me and my friends had cb's in the 80's. Now i run police scanners in my vehicles. Wife and I have multiple channel walkie talkies we take if traveling in different vehicles. Great when moving people. You can take them out and carry them during events or car shows so your party can break up into different groups. I even use them so the wife can reach me in one of the toyboxes(sheds). Very seldom have other people on it except during deer hunting season then we just switch to a different channel.

I'll admit I still have one in the van. Hasn't been on in a long time. Maybe I will see if it still works. If it does, it will probably bring back a few memories of my old gang of friends.

19. coupe man

coupe man

It's a good idea.They help when traveling with a group to keep every one together.If your worried about the white antenna paint it flat black to match your car like I did

20. I agree with 46Stude. I have several Cb's mostly Cobra 29' and 148 gtl's and a Uniden 78. My all time favorite is the 148. Anyhow I have a few magnet mount antennas(scratch the paint easily if you are not careful.) I use those mostly in the wifes car, and moms truck since they have nowhere to mount an antenna with out drilling crazy holes in their rides. They can be had cheap and if you spend anytime in a bigger city or around a good sized truck stop you can get it peaked and tuned for about $50 or less. That make a killer difference in performance. I have a couple of heaters to run behind my personal ones, but have not for a while. If you really wanna mess with folks on the road have some goodies put in it, like an echo board or voice box, or recorder :)

I love this site, and am sure a few others might have good places to buy Cb's and good parts from. These guys service them as well..

http://www.copper.com/cart/

Oh for those that don't know what a Heater is in a CB its a Linear Amplifier :) uhm takes you from 4 watts (legal) to uhm 200-1000 or so , super ILLEGAL!!! Remember I eh don't run mine anymore :)

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You either drill holes for the antenna, or use a magnetic with a cord that exits through a body panel. Don't be suprised if the cable wants to tweak the fit of that panel.

IMO, communications technology has come too far to dink around with CBs for what you're doing. We use a $35 pair of walkie talkies when traveling, they work great, and can be used in any cars without hardwiring.

22. Zumo

Zumo

I understand about the advancement of communications. I am wanting to do it more for the novelty of it.

My truck has a big ass ball antenna mount on the side of the bed I was going to remove it but now I am goint to use it. I also have a 4ft antenna my Grandfather had at his place(God rest his soul).

23. Crash Fistfight

Crash Fistfight
    from southside

I have never owned a vehickle with out a cb. never would either. 10-4 good butty.

24. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

don't forget your tennis balls boys, you don't want the antenna to scratch the paint.

25. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

We just use the Motorola Talkabouts.They work real good and you dont have to hard wire.Take the from car to car and then stick um in your back pocket to catch up to people you lose at the show.So far so good.

26. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I plan on having one. Nearly all in our club have one also. If you get seperated at traffic lights or breakdown they sure come in handy. We usually run an "off" channel unless we need info or something. Wal Mart carries the small Cobra 40..last one I bought was about 50 bux but I find em in swap meets all the time for 5-10 bux.

48 poncho

27. I can hear the skip from here! ;)

I have a Cobra 75 WX in both the daily drivers.
    40 channel with NOAA weather.
    There just a mic.
    The head is hidden in the trunk and a splitter thru the FM antenna.
    They have saved my tail feathers a few times.

"Rogue" KMI7769 i'm 10-10

28. 31whitey

31whitey

CB,s ruled before cell phones
    we had them in all our cars in high school(early 90,s)
    would locate parties, cops and where everybodys hanging out.
    now they still kill it on road trips

29. deucemanab

deucemanab

Have One In My 32 Sedan Since 1985.cb Started In The 60's.
    Still A Lot Of Fun.

30. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

My uncle Al had the first CB I ever saw in 1962. He had a base unit in the house, a portable he used around the farm and one in his car. His farm fronted on the Ohio river and he talked to riverboat captains from above Cinncinatti Ohio to Louisville Kentucky. He knew dozens of them on a first name basis for years.