Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ot -- Black Widow Spiders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UNCLECHET, Oct 7, 2006.

1. 38fordcoupe

38fordcoupe

I have a sister-in-law that was bitten by a brown recluse. It got her on the inside of her thigh and dam near killed her. Talk about a nasty looking wound! It rots the flesh and meat around the bite. She tried to doctor herself for awhile[HUGE MISTAKE!!!] before she went to the hospital.It took about 8 months and a truck load of medication before she was pretty well cleared up. Left a ugly scar . If you get bit don't wait. Seek medical attention right away!!!!!

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you who haven't eatin' your undercooked rotten eggs with a big glass of milk yet this morning.... here's what a brown recluse can do to you:
    [​IMG]

Here's the black widow's result...
    [​IMG]

I'll take the black widow bite over the Recluse...

3. Yep- my brother-in-law got bit by a brown recluse five years ago...lost a softball-sized area out of his left inner thigh. They made a Discovery Channel special out of it- no shit. He's on another one coming up called "Scars" (I think that's what it's called, anyway-I don't pay a whole lot of attention to him).

They ended up putting a silicone implant in the leg to fill it out again, just like a boob job. :)

The biggest pisser about all of it is that the local authorities & zoologists still insist there are no brown recluses in central Illinois & that he must have gotten bit by something else. He caught 12 of them in his apartment complex & sent them away to be looked at...10 were "definitely" brown recluses, two "probably" were but were too squashed to say for sure.

Attached Files:

• DAY9.JPG
      DAY9.JPG
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

not to worry those of you that are pansies any more...but brown recluses aren't very venomous at all. it's the necrotizing bacteria that lives around their jaws that does that to you, the just happen to be the most common and well known (easily recognizeable) of the wolf spider species that carry that bacteria. yes, i said species...there are over 100 species that carry that bacteria and they are found EVERYWHERE in the united states. if you ever do feel that you may have been bitten by a brown recluse, treat the bite area as an infection and get help immediately! if you have antibiotics to take or put on there as you go to the doc, do it...it may be the difference between what you see above, and a dime sized scar.

sleep well my little arachnophobes...lmao

5. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

This forum is almost like a therapy session sometime... I HATE spiders!! I mean REALLY HATE em!!! I have always been creeped out by em, but about 5 years agao I was taking the battery tray outa my 66 C10 and had to reach underneath it to hold the nut while I lossened the bolt... then WHAM!!! HOLY SHIT my finger was ON FIRE!!! I mean like someone was holding a lighter on it type of pain! Long story short... 2 days later went to the doc cuz my whole arm felt like it was asleep, just about up to my elbow, and was turning purple and the veins were popping out and the finger that was bit was swollen to over 2" in diameter!!! This kinda worried me. She said I was bit by a big brown widow, cuz of the distance between the fang marks, and that they are actually worse than black widows. She gave me some shots and a buncha perscriptions and said if it didn't get better over the next 48, the arm would have to go. :eek: Needless to say that was some alarming news. Well kids, everything worked out and I still got both wings. But, damn... THAT was some scary ass shit!! Now I'm super paranoid and always try to scan the area first before I put my hands in there. I hate living like this cuz I feel like such a pussy, but this thread makes me feel better that I'm not the only guy that can't stand those damn things.

In closing... My favorite spider killer... spray glue, you know the 3M kind in the can... Works GREAT!! As soon as it hits em, they aren't goin anywhere except to spider hell!! That way you never have to wonder where they ran off to either, they stay put! Makes em suffer just a bit too until they kick off. HELL YEAH!!

6. Speaking of camel spiders.....Imagine having one of these drop on your knee going down I-95!!!!:eek:

[​IMG]

7. I always keep a can of brake cleaner within arm reach while working in the driveway. That stuff will drop a wasp, bee or any other flying vermin mid-flight. They usually die within seconds. Great stuff!

8. Yeah...the brother-in-law got bit while he was sleeping, so about eight hours before he went to the ER. They gave him a topical antibiotic, circled a 3" area with a marker, told him to come back "if" the bad area got to the marker line & sent him home.

Next day he was getting that chunk taken out of the leg.:rolleyes: Time wasted = more flesh gone.

Pretty lucky it wasn't a little higher & more to the inside. :eek:

9. vicsinner

vicsinner

Well having lived in Vegas I have seen my share of widows and also drivin cross country professionally seen em all well except the camel.Funny thing is them Rest areas in texas oklahoma and arizona where the vending machines are outside in snack food jails(you guys in the area know what i mean) Anyway its funny walkin up ta get a coke and a snickers and lookin at all the webs and spiders hangin around the lights to get the moths and stuff.I lived in Ohio for like 30 years and those wolf spiders can scare the shit outta anyone.Walk into the kitchen and look in the sink and whoa[​IMG]
    Imagine seein that in your sink bout 6 inches across and wonder where the F that came from.Anyways on the widows in vegas I grabbed the first can I could reach engine degreaser not the foamy stuff the streamy kind and man it melted that biatch right now i think i heard it screamin.Never seen a Recluse cuz their tiny.Saw a guy in Vegas though that was workin on a barn fresh car though at the stop and rob had his leg all rapped up and an IV fluid bag hangin on his shoulder cuz he didnt know what bit him or that he got bit for a day or so and it almost killed him cuz he had an allergic reaction I think he said.

SPiders Man they creep me out Snakes I can Stand

10. plan9

plan9

hahaha, who told you that ray? how much ANTIVENOM did you drink!? :D

11. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Luckily here in the Netherlands the spiders aren't really big and neither are venomous, but they still scare the shit out of me. The biggest ones are about maybe 2" max around here.
    Cause of the warm and long summer we had overhere this year, there were a lot of spiders hanging on the side of my garage until recently. But a can of brakecleaner and some well aimed shots at the 'high-hangers' took real good care on those fuckers.

12. Mutt

Mutt

This little lady has been taking care of bugs at the side of the screened-in porch for most of the summer. She's grown considerably, and has two egg sacs hanging on the screen now. A Harmless (unless you're a bug) golden garden spider.

The other one is from Guam, and it's web stretched across the jungle path...:eek:

Mutt

13. We also have had spiders real bad this year, especially in the basement. Last week, there was a pretty big one crawling across the shop floor at work, and my boss said, "Look at that". So I told him about our basement and he recommended these things he calls "Hedge Apples." They are the green things that are falling out of trees right about now (up here in SE Michigan, anyway), about the size, shape and texture of a lime. But damn, they stink. Anyway, he said put a few in butter containers with some holes in em and stick em in each corner of the basement, and they should drive the crawlers away. I did it Thursday, and haven't seen one since, where we used to see 2 or 3 a day.

I hate to kill em (unless for SURE I know they are brown recluse's) because we got mosquitos so damn bad...

Jay

14. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I thought I would report back on the "bombing". Used Ace hardware bomb Saturday night. Didn't get a chance to go back to the garage until Sunday night. I couldn't find one moving bug anywhere except for one cricket that was still fighting. I only found one other widow. It was dead. I hope the rest just died on there web. Sorry to start the ot thread but from the response lot's of other people hate spiders too! Thanks for the help.

15. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

We call those cotten spiders and for your info the bite from these hurts like HELL:eek: I would kill it as soon as possible, but I have been bit by one also.....

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got bitten by three Rd backs, there the Aussy version of the Black Widow. A little more venomous and very nasty, they will chase you! Hell yeah, my hand and arm burned, its the venom moving around your body. The lymph glands were swollen and my arm was twice its normal size and almost purple.
    There is only one species of spider that worry me, the Funnel Web. Worlds deadliest spider and also the most aggressive on there is. I was chased by one for about 100 yards once. I walked past it, about a meter away when I noticed it. The sucker just kept coming!
    We have ones called Bird Eating Spiders up noth of Australia, used to see them all the time. On average they were around 7-8 inches across, but they came bigger. On sentry duty one night I heard foot steps coming toward me, I challenged and didn't get a reply so I opened up. In the muzzle flashes I saw it was a Bird Eating spider, biggest sucker I ever saw! At about 10ft away I could hear its foot steps!!

17. Man,

I call BULLSHIT on that one!!!!!!!!!! Dont know if its the "footsteps" off something that weights 500grams at most, or the fact you opened up on a spider and still had a military career to tell stories about!!!:D

Danny

18. david4991

david4991
    from Louisiana

Heard on the radio this morning some guy in my town got bit by a brown recluse

19. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

you SURE that is a brown Recluse?? we had the exact same kind of spider on a truck my buddy drug over here a couple weeks ago. it had sat for 10 or 20 years in the woods near Alpena before he brought it here. my first thought was that it was a Brown Recluse but i did some research on the net and none of the Brown Recluses looked quite like that. the legs are a dead giveaway. i never did find out what they realy are though.
    BTW i got my hand gun out and shot it from VERY close range and then stepped on what was left just to make sure.

Attached Files:

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So how long and where did you serve?
    Its a true story, at night in the quiet up there you can hear them. Don't sound like someone walking fast, you just hear the sound like someone moving to your front. While on sentry you hear that, and don't get a reply from the challenge you open up, its called Standard Operating Procedures or SOP's.
    I got ribbed for it, but I did what I was supposed to do. Next time your up in northern NT spend some time lying on your guts in the middle of nowhere. Doesn't matter what the sound is, everything seems much louder when you are expecting to be bumped.

22. Ahahahahaha,

Its ok, just a little ribbing.

I know all about the military life, having been dragged around the country as a kid by my Dad who served for 30 plus years. He spent plenty of time in wierd spider infested shit holes, especially during his service in the 22nd. I think the SOP for anyone mowing away a random spider would be a few hundred rounds shouted in the regiment mess.

Danny

23. Hey,

He had been working out lately and I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Danny

24. slamdpup

slamdpup

have you ever seen these spiders bounce in the web...they will bounce back and forth and if they are doing that ..you will need to move quickly..they are about to jump on you..witnessed it several times....i cant stand fucking spiders..i would rather kiss a snake in the mouth than i would have a spider crawl on me...im terrified of spiders any kind......i get them wolf spiders in my garage alot...from huge to small ones ...and they are fast lil sonsabithes...

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There called Golden Orb Weaving spiders, a bite may make you sick but thats as bad as it gets. There not too bad, a beautiful spider if you have a look and they weave the biggest webs, really something to see when the dew is on them of a morning.