Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ot -- Black Widow Spiders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UNCLECHET, Oct 7, 2006.

1. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Hey guys, I haven't been on for awhile and I didn't run a search but does anybody else seem to be having more trouble with Black Widows? My old Corvette has been sitting for about 8 months and I finally got the time to work on it. It just needs a fuel pump. Anyway I go out to the garage today and I find two widows around it and lots of webs underneath. I'm thinking great! I'm going to bug bomb the garage tonight and hope this kills them off. Does this stuff work? I've lived in Wichita most of my life and I've never seen this many Widows. In the last couple of weeks two of my friends have reported finding them. I wonder whats up. Any thoughts or ideas to get rid of them would be appreciated.

2. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I'm glad i live where i do......

3. ratstar

ratstar

Bomb your garage. It owrked wonderfully on my basement. Nothing came back that whole season.

4. yeah we gotem too!..bug bomb seems ta help but I'd try to destroy the nest also.I got a can of spider spray and srayed the bottom of my ragtop before I pulled the trans,it had been sittin about 2 years...then hosed it down good...if the damn things bite ya dont take it lightly ...have fun.........now about those brown recluse spiders:D

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. SOFAKINGMESTUP

SOFAKINGMESTUP
    from Las Vegas

I live in vegas, and I walk out of my front door and theres 4 or 5 that I can see just sittin there. I can't count how many are in my backyard. I just live with them most of the time. When I find one under the car "almost every time I crawl under it" I just grab a can of carb, cleaner or starting fluid and shot it. I've had them crawl over me but as long as they can get away they don't seem to bite.

6. DrJ

DrJ

They go POP! real loud, when you hit them with a welding torch... :) :cool:

There's been a bunch of stories on the TV News about how because of all the rain last year there's a lot more flying bugs so there's a lot more food so there's a lot more spiders to eat them... food chain and all.
    Just sweep out all those cobwebby nests and assume there's at least one under or in anything you want to pick up in the garage.
    I keep a rag or flyswatter in one hand to swat them with when picking up stuff.
    When I was a kid we moved into a new house, as in watched it get built in what used to be a "bean field" everything that lived in the field was still taking up residence in that garage.
    We used to take EVERYTHING out of it two or three times a year and hose it out from the rafters down just to get rid of the freeloaders.
    The other day I moved a couple of brake drums just outside the back door and there was one under each of them.
    We are outnumbered just be cautious, and don't lose it if one falls down out of your dashboard and lands on your knee like happened to me on the I-5 one time at about 70 MPH.
    ( I just slugged it hard and fast.)
    My Siamese cat lets me know by whining and circling the invader if a spider comes in the house. He's a good Hunt'n Dawg!

7. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

one of the handy things about working with our hands is that we get such thick skin...most black widows aren't even big enough to break the skin with their fangs anyhow.

8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I took my 69 c-10 over to my buddies shop to have it re-wired... that night in the shop about a million tiny spiders were born.

He ended up using a small torch to "clean" the bottom of the truck.

9. 133

i hate spiders in general, even "daddy long leg" spiders. ever seen a camel spider? black widows are nothing compared to these. they're located in the middle east but they're huge and will chase ya... so i hear.

10. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Spiders in general give me the creeps, and here in AZ we have a ton of 'em... I'd bomb the garage first, then pick up a can or two of Hot Shot spider killer (orange can)... that stuff rules, and wastes them on contact.

Chlorinated brake clean does a number, too, especially on bees and wasps...
    I'm assuming that screaming and running away would do nothing to help your infestation... or credibility.... so try the Hot Shot killer.

11. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea and watch when you buy a car that sat next to a swamp for 2 years.... my 51 ford had spiders all over it this huge brown recluse came out of my brake drum when fathack was taking it off. he was just about to put his hand on it when roadstar yelled. :eek:

Attached Files:

12. Bugman

Bugman

I hate the cold, and up here in WI we get 5 months of it. However, those 5 months are virtually insect and spider free. I'm not leaving anytime soon.

13. jonski und29

jonski und29

Kinda wierd, I saw the first black widow here in southern Ill. I had seen in a long time. We've got a lot more brown recluses here.

14. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Thanks for all the advice guys! Keep em coming! We do have brown recluse spiders here like crazy also. But they don't seem to hang around the cars much. I knew I was in trouble letting that car sit so long............but there's only so much time. I'm going out to set off a bomb now. Hopefully tomorrow they'll all be DEAD!

15. Mutt

Mutt

That's not a brown recluse spider.

This is...and the one in the lid is a widow that had a web in the handle of a gas can in my garage. Any crawling bug spray will do 'em in.

If you do a search with "black widow spiders" there's several older threads on the subject.

Mutt

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

My wife is the BOMB QUEEN. I brought home a 65 Dodge Dart that had been sitting for about 6 years and parked it outside and my wife said don't move it and put 4 bombs underneath and the next morning we counted 17 blackwidows and 11 longlegs I could not believe it.

17. i got em every where.

Attached Files:

18. Dirk35

Dirk35

We get Brown Recluses. They are only Defensive Bitters, but just as bad and the Black Widow. I live kinda out in the county (still paved roads, but open fields around) and we get them a lot if I dont have it sprayed. Before we started havign it sprayed, Id see about two of them each month, sometimes more. They like to hang out in the Bath Tub when its hot outside. The tub is metal and stays cool.

I have my house sprayed twice a year. Only about $70 each time. They treat for mice too. My daughter is 7 years old. Its worth it.

19. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Boy you ain't kidd'n either... Alot is an understatment sometimes.

20. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

They have been bad this year at my house. I have never had them but have killed probably 15 this year, some hidden but alot in the open in the yard. They creep the hell out of me..............

21. Black widows are everywhere here. I can go out in the yard at home with a flash light and a can of brake cleaner and kill an easy dozen any night.
    If I can step on them or squish them with my hand, I do that.

If you ever see a small spider black or brown with white swirls or stripes on its ass it is a juvenile black widow.

I was bitten once on the arm. Made the glands in my armpit and neck swell up and hurt. The bite was red and sore for a day. I drank alot of beer, as someome told me that alcohol counteracted the poison.
    I got drunk and woke up the next day with no more pain or swelling.

That spiders ass was the size of the end of your finger. They get big here.

22. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Shop vac 'em then shoot some raid up the vacuum tube.

It's murderous fun.

My paranoid wife does the above, then duct tapes the end of the hose "So they can't climb out if the Raid doesn't get "em".

They do pop real nice when you hit 'em with a torch or a long lighter.

You should film it, and put it on You Tube.

I could enjoy that for hours.

Take care!

Rob.

23. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

my arms are crawling just reading this thread. I hate effin spiders.

24. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

got widows all over my house, usually outside and in the garage. i usually just deal with them, but this year was bad! i'm for sure getting an exterminator next year. on a side note i had a mouse run across my workbench last night and scare the S$&T out of me!!! hmmm, maybe i do need that exterminator??!!

25. dave s

dave s

its always nice when your under the car and one crawls up next to you....

i had that happen, and i cant tell you how many times i hit my head and banged my knees on the underside trying to get the hell out from under that car..... damn things creep me the hell out...

26. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Well, I bombed the garage about 7 o'clock and it's all shut up. I'll go out tomorrow and see what's happened. Thanks for the stories and advise. Somehow it helps to know others are dealing with this. I'm signing off now. Good night Gracie.

27. DIRTY T- That's a Wolf spider. They're smart. I've had 'em hunt ME.
    They do... They watch you... follow you...
    They're fast as hell, too.

You guys should come live in the Chequamegon... there's a different kind of spider about every two feet.
    ...and every fucking one of them ends up in my welding helmet.

JOE:cool:

28. Part of my illustrious career involved killin' bugs! I had my own company for a few years and my wife and I both had some fun......!
    Here in New Zealand we sprayed for flies fleas ants spiders roaches skeeters and then some. :eek:
    There are a cuppla options.
    1. Get a registered pest control technician to spray your premises once a year. I recommend this! Also certain safety gear is required!!
    2. Bomb it your self (Which can add up to more $$ if ya doin' a biggy.)
    There are 2 main types of insecticides used here in domestic premises.
    a. Synthetic Pyrethroids and
    b. Organophosphates
    The SP's kill and flush out the prey, the OP's knock down.
    Also Methyl Bromide (nasty stuff) is used at the wharf where containers are unloaded which requires professional application (fogged etc.) and other certain areas needing treatment.
    As mentioned, it's all part of the food chain and life cycle.
    Humidity, cool places, warmth and a food source, (Jus' like us Humans)
    I have seen the climate change immensely over the last 18 years and it ain't gonna get any better!
    Professionals also help to educate their clients and teach them the do's and don'ts.
    It has been all pretty well summed up here but thought I would add my 10c worth!
    Now back to normal transmission.
    Cheers,
    Cruisin'

29. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I have fond memories of finding and jarring a black widow while I was at Emmeline Cooke Grade School in Oshkosh, WI when I was about 8. You are not safe. You also have massive amounts of Deer Ticks that we were warned about everytime we went camping.

30. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I hate spiders. The last encounter I had with a BW was at a deer lease a couple years ago. In South Texas, you hunt from a blind that is mounted on a stand and sits about 8-12 feet off the ground, real thick,low brush. One morning before dawn I arrived at my blind on the 1200+ acre lease and it was pitch black. I climbed the ladder to the door that's mounted on the side of the blind, opened it and scanned the inside with my flashlight. I was looking for yellow jackets and didn't see any so I climbed in the chair in the blind. Keep in mind the blind is a box about 4feet square at the base and 5feet tall with shooting windows. So, there is a 2x4 ledge around the inside about 3feet above the floor. As I scanned the top of the ledge, I see the biggest BW I have ever seen. I swear it was as big as a Volkwagon with 3 foot fangs. It was about 18" from my right ear. Humm...what to do? The only thing I could do was draw my trusty skinnin' knife and stab the shit out of it. My only hesitation was the thought of missing him and then try to find him again in the pitch black. WAM! I GOT LUCKY....SSHHHHIITTTT! You can bet your ass that now I look a little closer for those little fucks. And, I carry the insect spray right next to my knife. :D

Edit: One more thing about the BW, they have a great paint job!