Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Ayrton Senna Documentary

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank spittle

frank spittle

This is off topic but I just watched the best motorsports documentary I believe I have ever seen. It followed NHRA drag racing on ESPN2 Sunday night and I taped it. It follows Ayrton Senna's F1 career through his 3 championships and up to his death in '94. It was like watching a great movie but the stars were the real players. It is worth checking to see when ESPN will be showing it again. A great, great doc.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Saw that also great documentary

3. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

it is also available on Netflixs

4. skwurl

skwurl

been meaning to check that out. Netflix keepsrecommending it

5. I saw it on Netflix. It's definately worth watching.

6. racer67x

racer67x

7. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

fantastic documentary!

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I agree, it is a really good documentary. I have a picture of Senna from Sutton Images sitting in his car just before the start of the race that killed him. He's on my wall of heros. I had just started watching F1 races that year and was watching the race on TV when he was killed. Until his death the concern for drivers safety in F1 took a back seat to car design and winning. After his death the cars were made safe as a 1st priority and there have been no F1 deaths since Senna died.​

The controversy over the modifications to the steering column before the race has never been put to rest. After seeing the race almost 20 years ago and seeing the recent movie, I am real sure the steering went away and caused the crash. The crash in real time is horrible as he was in a very high speed corner and just went straight into the wall. I remember seeing the faces of the corner workers when they finally got to him. Their reactions pretty much showed he was injured terribly. The TV announcers got quiet as they too knew it was real bad. I think it was right after Speed channel was started. ​

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

I can't believe the whole movie is on youtube!!!! Thanks for posting racer67x. Look at 15 minutes of it you will watch the other 1hr 30 minutes. It's not just about racing. Like all good movies it has an interesting story behind it. The sad thing is when it ends you have seen the main star die. When it is a movie...... the star goes home. A very moving documentary that you don't have to be an F1 fan (i'm not) to enjoy. The production crew used 100% real footage and some of it is hard to believe was available to them. I don't believe anyone could have done a better job. My hat's off to them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  10. Ive been an avid fan of Formula One, growing up in Watkins Glen N.Y., less than a mile from the only U.S. circuit from 1961 to 1980. Senna is a legendary figure in F1 and is believed by many to be the greatest Formula One driver who ever lived. He was undoubtedly one of the most beloved, who still holds many records in the sport. His story is amazing and although his life ended tragically in 1994, he made a profound and lasting impact on the sport by relentless involvement within the GP Drivers Association to increase safety. He is also recognised by his humanitarian efforts in his home country of Brazil where I think its documented that over the course of his career he made personal donations in excess of 100 million dollars to the poverty stricken and various childrens programs. He was also quite religious.

I heard about this film a couple years ago but have never seen it. I thought there was some controversy with it and never heard it was released here in the states. Im really excited by your review Frank and so looking forward to check it out. Thanks for posting !!!!

11. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

bring back fun memories of F1 in the eighties
    1994 was a blur though , I barely remember the senna accident though ..rest in peace

12. aircap

aircap

Damn, he was good!

13. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Great movie, I did not expect much from an ESPN movie but I was pleasantly surprised.

14. moefuzz

moefuzz

Senna began his motorsport career in karting in 1981

So if his career began in 1981 what does this have to do with the H.A.M.B.
    ?????

???

15. frank spittle

frank spittle

Absolutely nothing. It's just a great doc that many HAMB members have enjoyed or probably will if they look at it you included. I very seldom endorse a documentary or movie but once in a while something extraordinary comes along like this.

16. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

he learned to drive in a 52 chevy ??

17. RatRoy

RatRoy

It is a dull Hot Rodder that only likes Hot Rods, great video, thanks for the link...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.