Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT- Austin, TX reccomendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FONZI, May 8, 2006.

1. FONZI

FONZI

The family and I are thinking about leaving California.....Austin is one of the places on our list of considerations. We are planning a trip there and I was wondering if anyone could reccomened sights, neighborhoods, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We would like some fun things to do while we are there and we also want to look at the neighborhoods and communities as well.

TIA

FONZI

2. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Joy!!! More Hambers in Austin. When is the time you're coming out? I can look for things to do....

Thomas

3. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

Dude.. there are so many things to do here..music.. food .. art.. CARS..

tons of HAMB'ers.. tons of cool cars..lots of rad places to live.. my favorite being south / south central...

When yall comin down.?

Gable

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Probably not bad compared to Cali., but property values are steep in town. There are many surrounding communities that have charm all their own and are more reasonable to live in. We have a dozen lakes within a couple hours drive, caves, wildlife preserves, antiques, FOOD!, hot rods, MUSIC!, did I say hot rods? National event drag racing within 100 miles, back woods strip within 45, Blue Bell Ice Cream is made right down the road, I did say hot rods, didn't I? Wineries, BBQ, fishing, camping, 4 & 5 star dining, art, opera, symphony, and hot rods. Don't forget hot rods!

5. extremist

extremist

We need to start an Austin Information Page for Fed Up California HAMBers.

6. geemann51

geemann51

Hey man, we're down here now. So far, so good....

Hit me up and we'll BBQ or something. I just went through everything your about to consider. I can fill your ears....

Make sure you understand the property taxes.......

7. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Why ever would you leave to oh-so-lovely town of Stan-tone Homie?

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Austin is Californian suburb.

9. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Hey Fonzi,
    I'd gladly volunteer to give you a tour of Austin. I'm born and raised Austin, TX. During the Roundup I gave some HAMBers a half-day tour and they seemed to enjoy it. I can show you all sides...whatever you want to see. PM me if you're interested. It's a GREAT place to be.
    John Joyo...

10. primered_69

primered_69

Fun Stuff (family friendly):
    Duck Tours- Ampibous Vehicle tour (visters bureau down town)
    Bat Viewing - Cruise
    Barton Springs (Spring Fed Swimming Hole)
    State Capital
    Texas State Museum

Coupons, Information and Such can be found at
    http://www.austintexas.org/home/

Food:
    Chuy's (Mexican)
    Huts (Great Burgers)

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Go figure. I moved to Los Angeles from Austin 10 years ago, now I'm thinking of moving back. Whoever said Austin is a California suburb is right.

12. FONZI

FONZI

wow!
    Thanks for all thE great responses. This is something we are just consiering right now. Just tired of the California rat race. (I.E.) I work way to much! If we make the trip I will contact you guys. Thanks so much!

FONZI

13. HeadlessHorseman

HeadlessHorseman

Shit!! I was thinking of posting the same type of thing only I'm not thinking about moving to Austin,I AM moving to Austin.Any info I could get would be greatly appreciated.How about work? I do vapor recovery testing on unleaded fuel tanks and monitor certifications, anyone know of any companies possibly hiring? I can't take rude people anymore!!! Am I gonna get a heap of shit for being from California? Believe me, I won't be wearing it on my chest!!!

14. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

you should be able to find work pretty easy.

seriously,though. we need a form letter for this. "yes Austin kicks ass. No,the cops won't fuck with your tin. yes,we will be giving you a modicum of shit for being from Cali, but only in good fun,because you are gay. but you can certianly come down, give us a call, drink some beers and we will find you somewhere to live,work,and party. but you will have to live here for at least 6 months before we tell you where the good junkyards are. unless you bring gifts of big breasted blonde girls and avocados (Cali's primary exports) the wait will be then reduced to 30 days..."

15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

see! from Cali and Gay!

T, this is all your fault. your bill just went up.:D

16. Ive been here for 2 and a half years. Can you tell me where those junk yards are now?

17. extremist

extremist

Behind Crushproof, after hours.

;)

18. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

WTF!!!! man it seems like everyone is leaving and all going to Austin. how about moving out to Riverside. the price of homes are reasonable and a lot better than LA, OC traffic.

19. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

Erik, sent a pm. You should at least know the 3 that I know of. I can't build all of the projects that I visualize from these yards.

20. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Don't forget to bring some spray paint to paint up their cars too :eek:

Lux, still interested in a roadster body :D ???

21. Tried it, didnt like it! Still had to drive to OC every day for my 2 hour morning commute every day and that was back in 2002-2003 BEFORE the huge boom of everyone leaving to Riverside. I spent 31 days a year in traffic. Hard to pay 300k+ for a house that I bought in 2002 for 145K and still drive all that way. I guess it depends on where your job is but that 91 will kill ya/

22. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Hey Thomas,
    I'm interested in a roadster body if Lux isn't :D
    You going to Paso?

For those of you talking about traffic in CA, with everyone moving to Austin, traffic here is getting pretty bad! Since gas prices went up a few weeks ago, morning traffic hasn't been so bad..it's actually been really good. maybe people are riding bicycles to prepare for bike to work week, which is next week. Whatever the explaination, traffic will get bad again....and keep getting worse. I wouldn't let it stop me from living here though.
    -John Joyo...
    livin' in the ATX:cool:

23. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Kustom--sure. all you gotta do is ask. (this would have been particularly helpful for your poncho,I only know where 3 of those are...)

T-yep.still interested.

and yes, the "junkyard cars" get to live out back. right up until whatever has decided to live in them moves out. (except Big A's Brown Recluse factory.):D

Joyo--Tough noogies,holmes, this one is MINE.:)

24. Any advice for someone visiting with family in Austin May 24-27? My Dad lives in Taylor, just outside Austin.

25. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

How is the job market there? seems like a lot of people are moving there but what are they doing for work once they get there?

26. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Whatever. . . go. . . fine.
    . .just leave your car here.

27. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I have never had a problem finding work--but I have been a mechanic since before I hit puberty. I don't know how the "tech" industry is right now. I know plenty of folks that lost thier jobs right after 9-11 at Dell and Sun Microsystems, but Apple did not lay off anyone. (I honestly think the layoffs were coming anyway. 9-11 was the excuse they needed to get rid of a bunch of folks that were making just enough money to be comfortable.)

the cost of living here is not terrible at all. I live within my means and still manage to get some cool stuff every once in a blue moon. don't get me wrong, I don't go around buying 70 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles, but there is alot of very cool stuff for a good price around here.
    homes are middle of the road. just depends where you end up buying. go to Bastrop, you can get a mansion for the price of a 3 bedroom house in Austin, but you get a 30 minute commute. just "normal" pricing,I guess.

the weather here is nice (but I have no problem with heat.) probably not what you so-cal guys are used to, but tolerable.(I have lived here for 10+years, and I might have seen it snow or ice 3 times)

as far as traffic is concerned, as soon as you figure out that Austin is very easy to navigate, you can avoid i-35 all together. it is a well laid out city, and easy to get around. ( my only problem is the roads change names alot-I mean ALOT. but they all end up being the same damn road anyway.)

another cool part of this city is it's diversity.whatever you are into is here (well, except surfing,I guess:D) in some capacity.

WOAH! and occasionally,a couple Apache gunships will fly about 30 feet above your hot rod shop. that was loud!

Mr.Pontiac--give us a ring when you hit Taylor. you are a bit "in the sticks", but it is easy enough to get into town. I can find you some cool stuff to do.

and stay away from my 8-lugs!

28. Scotch

Scotch

Fonzi-

Dang...

The exodus Eastward continues..who'd have thought it?

The overpriced homes finally outdid the endless summer weather as a priority. Wow.

I'm glad I moved. I love it here...The only thing I miss is really good Mexican food and the other stuff we talked about.

Good Luck Todd- you'll succeed no matter where you hang your hat. Tell the wife and babies I wish them well.

~Scotch~

29. Sounds good LUX...Im actually looking again for a 55/56 Pontiac project.....new plans. I would be very interested to find out where the 3 are

Fonzi take a trip here first obviously. I took 4 trips to Austin before I moved here thinking I knew everything when in fact I knew nothing about the area. There are times I miss family and think about returning but honestly for your sake and your kids sake, there is way more to offer here than I could ever imagine. The house I own would sell for 900k in OC based on land and house size. I know because I have priced it with comparables and I bought here for 150K. There are a million and one things to do here with the family, by yourself or with your friends.

30. FONZI

FONZI

Thanks Guys!

I think I may come out this summer! If not. I will be at Roundup next year!

FONZI