Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Anyone ever build or own a Garage/Apt.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little_E, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Little_E

Little_E

I'm considering taking the step to settle down in the town where I'm living and all I really want is a nice small place with a BIG garage. I'm looking at floorplans for a garage/apartment that I can get around zoning requirements (I've got that covered). Anyone ever build one of these, live in one, or own one? I'd like to get people's ideas before I make a decision, besides my Edsel needs a warm home, dad's back patio doen't keep her cozy.

Little_E

2. Go get a book of house plans. I've seen a few of them where there was a small apartment built above what basically amounted to a six or 8 car garage.

3. chopped

chopped

How big a shop? The truss system I used over my shop had a room built into the truss. Made it quick and easy,

4. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I was actually working on plans for a 2400 sq ft shop with what would amount to an apartment above it, for a house we were looking at. Deal with the house fell through. But I still have the detailed plans.

5. Little_E

Little_E

It'll just be something to support my hobby, so probably only 2.5 - 3 car garage would suit my needs for now. Some of the plans I'm looking at are between 24X24 to 26X35 garages and equal living space for the apartment part. I'll probably just build out in the country on a small plot of land when it gets down to it.

Maybe something like this:

Attached Files:

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I lived in one for a yr and it was nice, but small. Some friends of mine built hangers on a airport and then built an apt inside, now they are rented and make the payments on the house out front.

7. glassguy

glassguy

we could ask mr cunningham

8. check with Tman I think he is doing this right now.

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

When we are in So Cal we live in a 2500 ft Shop. It's not bad but neither is the weather. I would hate to see the heating bill on this space if it got cold!

When my heart went sideways I moved outta the beach house and into the shop.I'm closer to the hospital and it's easier to get to work

I've added to and changed the space from time to time but basically it is loft living. We live on a second floor overlooking the stuff. It's nice to have you things around you all the time. AND a lot easier to work on them at 3am. Speaking of 3am you can't guess the thingsa that happen outside our door at night. One a jerk tried to break in. 911 to the rescue!! AND then there is the gun fire.... I only call the PD now if it's FULL ROCK'N ROLL outside......

Been doing this so long a normal house seems strange:D

I brought the bowling machine so's I could tell folks I lived in a Bowling Alley instead of a warehouse!

Attached Files:

10. That’s a really nice building/garage. :cool:

11. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

My first house was not a lot different than the plans you have posted up. If you're planning on living by yourself, I'd vote for opening the upstairs up, my place was essentially two huge rooms, with about an 8 foot wide section shaved off the long wall for kitchen, bath, closets, etc. In the interest of being more efficient to heat, the upstairs had peaked ceilings with fans, and the two main rooms were divided with an 8 foot wall instead of going all the way up. The whole place heated almost too well with a moderate woodstove downstairs.

Mine was 24x36, with two swing out doors in the narrow end. I'd advise not going much smaller than that, as "stuff for everyday life" does encroach a bit on garage space (water heater, water softener if ya need one, washer/dryer, etc) All that except the washer dryer was downstairs at my house, pretty much killed a corner. I also had the staircase in the middle of the house, literally, if I was doing it again I'd figure out a way to put it off to one side.

I think that when done properly small house/garages like this are super cool, it takes a lot of thought to end up with a very comfortable living space and enough garage to keep you happy. If you're very serious about building, PM me and I'll see what I can do about a copy of the plans for my house. No worries about copyrights or anything, they're my plans :)

12. Little_E

Little_E

AHAHAHAHAH, True, very true!!!

Hell, if it can work for the Fonz, it can work for me!

13. Carla and I are doing just that. We have room for 5 cars below, approx 1400 sq for the shop with some of the living area beside that, 600 sq. Upstairs we have close to 1000 square foot loft/living area.

This building could become a guest quarters if we ever build a "proper" house. But the closer we get to finisheing the more we think this will be enough.

Some locals are funny about living areas above garages, extra fire protection etc. We are out in the country and it is pretty easy going. State electrical inspection is the only serious one.

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

check for old commerical buildings, i.e. old car dealerships, etc. I know one guy moved into a 5000 sq.ft. warehouse and moved a 10x50 mobile home into it, had a garden of green painted rocks around the MH, neat place.

15. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Why not just build a small ranch-type home and a large garage/workshop?
    It seems if you are contemplating building "out in the country", there would be no need for the inconveniences of 'over-the-garage' housing.

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

The happiest five years of my life (so far) were spent living above a small two car garage. It was perfect for me - single, not a big guy, etc. I loved being able to walk down the stairs and right into my shop. My car is small too, so there was plenty of room for work benches, shelves, etc.
    Now I live in a conventional 2-bedroom house with a detatched garage that requires me to walk out in the rain to get into the shop. It's a nightmare - just a nightmare...I haven't been out there in months. I miss the old place.....

17. Little_E

Little_E

My idea is that this would be sufficient for me while I'm single, and there's no chance of my singledom ending anytime soon. So, in the off chance that I would someday get married it'd be possible to build on and turn it into a L-shaped home and turn the old apt into a den/gameroom type thing. Just my thought though. I've looked into building an entire house and I don't think its feasible with what I can swing financially. And lastly I really like the style of doing something like this, a little more unique than a house.

18. ponchoman

ponchoman

My shop is a 24 x 36 Gambrel roof barn. Upstairs is 17 x 36, and my ol' lady's art studio. It has a 3/4 bath, and could easily be made into an apartment. Over 600 sq. ft., heat and air, etc. Would be pretty cozy.:D

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

First thing I'd do is put the garage doors on the back side of the building and install a fake front door & windows. Make it look like a two story house to everyone driving by. Give a little thought to converting to a full house if you have to sell it some time down the road. Check with zoning and your insurance company before you start sinking money into it. Good luck, owning a home is the smartest move you can make!:)

20. sawzall

sawzall

thats a brilliant idea.. IN addition it will keep people from spying on you while you work on your hot rods.... and with some thought you could, as stated above build it with the idea of transforming it later..

another thought.. would be to build it big enough to put two small apts above a larger garage.. rent one of the apts to another car guy, or better yet a sorority of HOT COLLEGE CHICKS and have them foot the bill..

21. Little_E

Little_E

Now THAT is brilliant!!!!! Why didn't I think of that. There are two colleges in my county, but one is religious and the other is full of hippies, I'm sure I could find some loose women at the liberal school though. Especially if I supply the party favors!!! YES!!!!!

22. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

You could likely find loose women at the religious college, and they're probably twice as dirty when the lights go out :D

23. Mutt

Mutt

I built my garage as a 60X40 building with the rear 20X40 as an apartment. The 1600 sq ft garage area has a 12 ft ceiling to clear the lift, and 10 ft garage doors to allow me to get the trailer in if I wish.
    The apartment has a 8X12 bath, 12X14 bedroom, and 20X26 greatroom. The apartment is stemwalled, and has 10 ft. ceilings. Everything is under air.

Mutt

24. he has a good point, I met a lot of ready to let loose Catholic virgins in college:D

As for the shop project, reality Check?

What is your Budget? I am doing EVERYTHING on my house except major dirtwork and the septic system install. If I had to pay labor, there is 40K in extra $$$$

Land $35,000
    Improvements $8000 septic/dirtwork/gravel for house and driveway
    Building when finished with appliances $50,000

Some of the cost is for new tools ie; compressor needed to spray stucco, new nailgun etc.

I will have close to 100K into this place when it is done. Sure it is architecturally very cool and unique. But, for 20 grand (on top of the land $$)I could have had a steel building setup and been working in the shop several months back.

Just trying to keep it in perspective for you. All building projects end up taking longer and costing more than you think.

Those blueprints you show are a common "package". THe guy down the road from me built one of those in 60 days, I think the local Price was 23,000 which was everything but finish drywall, floor coverings and appliances. Pretty good deal, and, like you said, you can add onto it with the real house later.

25. Little_E

Little_E

I don't have a budget worked out yet, but I've shopped the real estate market for a while and was looking to spend around 75k, which would get you a decent, older house in this area.

I have some connections if I go through with it. Sister's boyfriend runs a dozer for a living and has his own backhoe and dumptruck, a guy who lives by my mom and dad rebuilds appliances (and does a good job), dad works for a pre-fab home builder and could get supplies and borrow compressors and nail guns and all for doing the work.

23,000 sounds like a good price to me! I could probably get a contractor to get it under roof and we can take over from there, dad's built 4 houses in his time. As for land cost around here, I work in county government and deal with all of the land transfers in the county, where I'm looking to build I could get 5ac for under 4k and acre, this is by far the most feasible way for me to actually build something new.

Thanks for the info though, I will consider it all when I make a final decision. I tend to OVERanalyze everything, so this info will help me decide for sure!

Scott

26. Cshabang

Cshabang

I live in one now...three car with my place above...the only downfalls are the ceiling height downstairs, and you smelll whatever you do in the shop....

27. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Yeah, I meant to mention that....I painted a car in the garage once, and my clothes smelled like urethane clear for weeks. Such are the little drawbacks.

28. hemifarris

hemifarris

This is one of my buddies buildings he has on his property to hold some of his snowmobile collection.. It's 40X80 with a 16 foot ceiling. The back 20 feet of the building is a 20X40 downstairs workshop and parts department. Upstairs is a 20X40 apartment with 1 bedroom,Kitchen,living room and 1 full bath. The downstairs workshop and upstairs apartment are both heated and air conditioned.The display area will have radiant tube heaters.These photos were taken before the building was completed, lighting installed and the display area filled. He uses the apartment for his buddies,like myself, who travel to visit him and spend the night.The rest of the building is for part of his snowmobile collection.I know he uses it for snowmobiles, but a great garage is a great garage.Obviously, his wife and kids dig it....Mike

Attached Files:

29. I have a 1200 sq ft apt in my shop that is 60x 100 24ft high ceilings it rules

30. I lived in a house over garage years ago and loved it. My next house(very soon) will be a Hangar/garage/homeshop with the house over a section of it. I have been dreaming of this for years and it is finally going to happen. Go for it!!!!