Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT antifreeze and pet safety

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Upchuck, May 1, 2006.

1. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

had to have my cat put down on friday due to him getting into some anti freeze, entirely my own fault to, I had put in a mechanical water temp and thought I had caught it all in buckets but a little puddle was left on the inside of the bumper and apparently he drank some and now he's gone, best little critter I ever had, would follow me around like a dog, we'd fall asleep on the couch watching tv most nights, everwhere I went around the house or yard he'd be right there, mighty depressing stuff and he was only 2 years old, by the time you figure out whats going on its generally to late to save them, 3rd trip to the vet they said there was nothing left to do for him

I know alot of you guys don't like cats but the same goes for dogs to and humans for that matter

2. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Damn. Im sorry to hear that. Another aspect of shop/garage safety many people forget. Dont beat yourself up too much.
    Sorry to hear that.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will have done some good by sharing this sad story.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Fuck, that sucks. I've lost a cat and a dog in the last couple months to old age. I absolutely hate losing pets and it's worse when it's before their time like that. I'm always super careful with my antifreeze for that very reason. I'm real sorry, man.

5. PatMonaco

PatMonaco

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat.

As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of pets that die each year as a result of anti freeze poisoning. We had a presentation at our Rochester Street Rod Club meeting a few months ago. One of our members daughters is a vet and he gave a presentation on anti freeze poisoning and pets. Sorry I didn't post it!

Pat

6. That sucks, we have 2 cats, and I know when their time comes I will be heartbroken....

Don't beat yourself up too bad, go to the Humane Society & adopt another one & give it a good home.

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very true. We recently adopted another cat from a shelter, plus we're taking long-term care of a friend's cat and while it will never replace Max or fill that void, it helps a little bit to have a new friend around.

8. oldhippie

oldhippie

:mad: :mad: We had to put our Sheltie down because of the same thing. We had moved into a new home and because I hadn't been doing any work yet, I suspect the seller had dumped some old/leftover anti-freeze in the back yard and Max got into it and as upchuck said, by the time you discover the prob. its to late. This was as close to perfect a dog as I've ever owned or seen. Like or child, but smarter and beter behaved!
    Been a year almost and we are finially ready to start looking.
    Jim

9. Terry O

Terry O

Don't like cats? Hey I've got a dog, follows me where ever I go, does what i tell em to do. Lost my cat a couple years ago. Cat came an went as he pleased. No dog in his right mind would mess with this cat and if they did, they didn't again. Tough and independent. I love my dog but I sure miss that cat!
    Sorry man for your loss and thanks for reminding us... our actions have consequences.

10. thekid

thekid
    from PDX

Man sorry for your loss. Loosing a pet is tough.
    I don't know why pets like the stuff so much.
    One of my cats is actually called Prestone.

Before he had a name, I had cleaned up some antifreeze and a little later in the day i found him rolling around on the garage floor where the spill was.
    I wish they would know better to stay out of the stuff.

gary.

11. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

That Sucks Sorry To Hear That Me Three Dogs Are Like My Children Thats Why I Never Let Them Near The Garage Definately For Adopting At The Shelter I Got Hot Rod At The Shelter 7 Years Ago And He Is The B Est Tempered

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Much as we all hate Dexcool, I think one of its advantages is that it doesn't have that "sweet" ethylene glycol taste and scent that appeals to our pets and makes it such a good coffee sweetener for bad husbands.

13. Sorry for your loss, but it makes us remember to keep that green stuff cleaned up.
    Even a neighbors pet or a wanderer can get into it even if you don't have pets.

Some one poisoned my Rottie right before Xmas. (was Rat poison but still)
    I sure miss my jughead Fritz. :(

14. Wanna hear some fucked up shit?.......Bums go to the grocery store and steal 1 Real vanilla(or other)flavoring and 1 Imataion Vanilla(or other)flavoring.....the real is like 35-40% alcohol....the artificial is made with Propolene Glycol(radiator fluid)....the reason they take one of both if because the Propolene Glycol thins your blood out enough that you get drunk off of 1 of the 2oz real flavorings!!!

I work at grocery stores and the bums come in at night after the cut off time of 2am to buy (or steal more often) these 2 items and Mouthwash(20-30% alcohol)....if we are lucky they will, instead of stealing them, buy them with their zfood Stamp cards!....we turn them down every time...I love the old I am making cookies excuse!

Sorry to hear about your pet mang..

15. remember fellow hambers that dogs can absorb this through thier paws and die the same way... wash down areas that are spilled on!

slighty positive note varmits die cuz they eat this stuff too...
    mice rats and racoons ,squirrels ,wood chucks .. careful how and where the a/f is left for the varmits tho .....

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just did some research...Ethanol (as in booze) is actually the old antidote for antifreeze--it blocks some metabolic change in the 'freeze that takes out the kidneys. That's pretty useless info, there...I can't see an injured animal accepting ethanol!
    There is an antidote out now, but it needs to be given very early in the process, likely before you would know there's a problem...
    Everyone out there seems to agree that the stuff actually attracts dogs and cats.

17. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

hard not to beat yourself up over the bad deal I gave the poor thing, he was a heckuva great little cat, we got him from the SPCA to start with, he'd been returned a couple times but he fit right in around here and some day we'll go look for another one

18. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

that really sucks man... I don't like animals (except for mine,) but I have a cat, so I can understand.

I thought they changed the antifreeze that they sell now so that it doesn't hurt the animals, as much as the old stuff.

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I lost a friendly acquaintence not too long ago to glycol poisoning. He had a bad drug problem, and while heavily under the influnce drank over 2 liters of the stuff. Sad story. Sorry about your cat man, pets are part of the family

20. Bruce, the ethanol is given intraveneously. The way it works is the liver will more readily break down the ethanol and in effect be "too busy" to breakdown the ethylene glycol. In the meantime the unprocessed coolant is excreted in the urine I beleive. I can't give you any more than that. The trick is identifying the poison soon enough. A vet could titrate the dosage based on body weight. It's possible that someone has compiled research on the subject. If not there's your thesis topic for your DVM.

The best answer is the development of less toxic products. Ethylene Glycol destroys the liver.A gruesome death.

I lost a great cat I had for years when I was a kid. I learned the hard way not to store a pan of coolant under the car while sending the radiator out to be rodded. My ignorance was lethal to her.

21. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Sorry to hear about your loss man...have a funeral for the little guy...funerals are for the living, not the dead...it could help you through it...

22. tjm73

tjm73

No animal or person needs to ever die from antifreeze. Evans Cooling found a compund and developed a way to make it never happen again. The qoute below is from Evans.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It is estimated that approximately 4,500 humans are poisoned and 90,000 domestic animals plus countless wild animals die annually in the USA by ethylene glycol (EG) from products such as antifreeze. Ingested EG is not itself toxic until it becomes metabolized by the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) enzyme to glycoaldehyde and then metabolized further to other toxic metabolites. The inventors of the Evans De-Tox™ process have discovered that a practical and inexpensive substance, namely propylene glycol (PG), when mixed with EG, acts as an ADH enzyme inhibitor, preventing the metabolism of EG and preventing the toxic metabolites that are the essence of EG poisoning. The effectiveness of the method has been proven in a series of laboratory tests using Sprague-Dawley rats according to GLP test procedures in a facility certified by the EPA. The LD50 value of EG is 8,300 mg/kg. Mixtures of 50% EG/50% PG (by wt.) and 70% EG/30% PG (by wt.) are demonstrated to be so low in toxicity that LD50 values for them cannot be determined. The LD50 value for a mixture that is 95% EG/5% PG (by wt.) was experimentally found to be approximately 15,000 mg/kg, a figure that indicates a very low toxicity and that compares to the toxic LD50 value of 8,550 that would be predicted by using a standard industry formula. Poisonings by ingestion of products containing EG are preventable by simply including a modest percentage of PG in the mixture. This fact should be the subject of an EPA mandate."[/FONT]​

http://www.evanscooling.com/news/detox.htm
    http://www.evanscooling.com/news/detox2.htm

Sorry to hear about your cat. I'd be crushed if mine died or had to be put down.

23. 5window

5window

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. They can be great friends and I admire their independent spirit as well as their development as an incredible predatory machine. Most of the cases of antifreeze poisoning I see are dogs because the mix is sweet and not that atttractive to cats.

Part of the problem is with diagnosis and eary intervention is the key-before the product starts to crystalize in the kidneys and start it's damage. So if it's a possibility-tell your vet early. There is a great,but expensive,antidote for dogs,called 4-MP or Antizole-vet.works really well,although a lot of folks still recommend ethanol therapy for cats. Please remember this is an intravenous therapy-don't give the animals alcohol orally.

I heartily support getting another cat,when you are ready, at the animal shelter. Just make sure it has been tested.or test as soon as possible (I recommend 12 weeks of age) for Feline Leukemia and Feline Immunideficiency Virus infections. These are potentially fatal viral diseases that may not be evident but will certainly claim the life of your new pet at an early age.

PM me if you have any questions.

As a weird aside, one year just before Christmas I was presented late at night with an "Anifreeze" dog. I was alone at work, nothing was open and this was before the days of 4-MP,which my boss at the time would have been to damn cheap to stock anyway. We had gotten a gift from a client of a knitted bottle cover in the shape of a poodle which fortunately came over a bottle of vodka. Nothing else to do, I mixed the vodka with the dog's IV fluids and watched it get slowly drunk. More fun for the dog than me, but the dog survived.

Friends, please help all your 4 legged buddies and kids. Make sure everything's safe before you leave your shop or move on to another project.

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Intravenous!! I should have realized that! My wife is on IV stuff now, and I guess I'll save one setup in the emergency kit.
    Another anecdotal caution mostly for people: One of our grad students, a complete non-drinker, was stopped twice for drunk driving, testing in at 0 on the exam despite really shaky driving. Eventual diagnosis: Her car heater core had a pinhole leak, and she was breathing a fine glycol spray while driving!! She probably came close to crashing the times the police stopped her...

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Sorry about your loss ... I am a dog lover myself ... it is SAD that your pet died. Pets are like family ...

A friend of mine lost his Golden Lab about a month ago ... the Vet said it was anti-freeze poisoning. My friend believes the folks who live next to him poisoned his dog " on purpose " out of meanness ...

Question for 5window

Will anti-freeze kill a lizard ?
    Does a lizard drink water and fluids or do they get fluids another way ?

I have a small herd of lizards ... and my wife hates lizards ... :)

26. There doesn't seem to be any immunity to ethylene glycol poisoning.

27. My wife (a chemist) just gave me a lecture about anitfreeze and dogs. Good advice in the previous posts, thanks for posting.

One interesting fact: It only takes a teaspoon of antifreeze to kill a dog.

She wouldn't tell me how much to kill a human.:)

28. Antifreeze is some nasty shit, and there is a host of reasons not to use it. In everything but my daily driver I use water with a can of anti rust stuff(99 cents at the fleet farm). Its cheaper, it doesn't stain paint, it doesn't kill things, you just have to drain it before it freezes. David

29. steely

steely

Sorry to hear about your loss. If either one of my cats died I would be pretty broken up.

I had an unnerving thing happen the other day, I had drained the radiator of the '58 in the garage, and then forgot to pick the pan up off the floor. I opened the garage door and the puppy chased the cat into the garage and under the car. Both of them ignored the anti-freeze mixture. I was on the other side of the car at the time and by the time i had made it around there, the cat had turned the tables and chased the dog back out of the garage. When they ran in, the only thing I could think was, "Where is the nearest vet?"

30. KoppaK

KoppaK

It's no secret that I love cats, I feel for your loss, in fact anyone who has lost a pet, period.