Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc., Dec 1, 2006.

1. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

As some of you know, I have lost the old firestation so I''m out of room for any more cars (unacceptable). When Plowboy was down for a visit, he suggested that I just move and build a great big building. Soooo.. I had lunch with my banker today and we discussed a project that I've been thinking about for some time. I have been wanting to build a new house for a while ,and I got a wild idea for it. Lets see what you guys (and gals) think.

I want to build a large metal building, say 20,000 sq ft. Then (inside of the building )At one end of the building I want to build a house about 4,000 square feet. Here's where it gets good. I want the house front to look like an old '50's town. It would have a facade with a diner (kitchen), theater (home theater), gas station (glass front for holding a couple of cars), hardware store and whatever else I could fit across the front. I would equip each of these with full vintage interiors,neon signs and the like. I've already got a head start with a home theater and a soda fountain at my current house.

On the opposite end of the building, I want to put an indoor drive in movie. I would line up cars next to speakers and have a big projection screen. This would be a place for mostly finished cars. I'd have a separate place for a working garage, but still under roof.

Between these two places I want to put up a full size carousel and a little carnival area with popcorn,cotton candy and games. I think it would be cool, but my banker had to have a second diet coke before he started warming up to the idea. What do youse guys think? Am I nuts?

Doc.

2. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

That sounds like a kick-ass place!!! I say if the bank gives you the go ahead, go for it! :cool:

3. just buy a whole town cut out the middle man

we have lotsa trailers in old barns if that helps

4. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Sounds bad ass. If you can pull it off do it. It would be like living in a museum. I dont know about the carnival, but the drive in for parking would be cool.

5. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

WOW

6. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

HAMB party at your place?

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Wow. Um... you must really be commited ... commited to this idea I mean. It seems like a fun fantasy to bring a small slice of the past to life, but I don't know you, so I can't say something like, "The novelty will wear off within a year or even a few months." Like I would say to any of my close friends/relatives or hope they would say to me.
    I've had a fantasy of building a house inside a huge garage space for years, but it sounds like you're wanting to push it a hell of a lot further. Let's just say I'd love to visit (maybe drop a few tabs of purple haze along the way there to really blow my mind) but that I think living there would get really old after an unbelievably short time.
    But like I said, that's just me. Looking at your plans (a carousel?!) you have got to be loaded, so even if this is idea turns out to be something you end up despising, you could always move on to something a little more sedate and open up your own roadside attraction.
    But hell, I don't know you, so I can't say if you're crazy or not. Maybe you'd really dig living in a weird funhouse. What YOU like is what really matters, but I think there are some individuals (ScaryLarry I think) who have accomplished the same thing a little more tastefully.
    Long winded, but heartfelt.
    Sam:eek:

8. Gigantor

Gigantor

Doc - my girlfriend just read my response and said I was really negative and would probably be perceived as an asshole. So if I offended, I apologize.

9. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

No offense taken. If I didn't want an opinion I would not have asked for it. I collect all of this vintage stuff anyway, and I have run out of room. A carousel is on my must have list someday so that's where that idea came from. My only concern with the whole thing is how marketable the project would be if I decided to move down the road.

Doc.

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

That's a VERY valid concern, Doc!

11. why not start with a hanger? Then work from there. Or a vacant warehouse? Industrial sites are very safe, prying eye proof. 100,000 square feet, two floors, loading dock, sounds like heaven.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Doc, You are NOT nuts, you just dream on a grand scale, if the bank comes up with an affordable loan go for it. I'm sure building and fire code stuff will drive you nuts however.:)

13. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I cant even fathom living somewhere like that.

Do it.

14. fatabone

fatabone

I think it sounds loke a great idea. I've worked in plenty of houses that were built after someones dream. I just worked in one that had a whole floor recreating Coney Island including rides, store fronts and signs from Coney Island. Whoever did all the painting did some fantastic work it was just like being there.

I've seen carpeted garages with game rooms and bars but a working drive in would be the coolest! The Lander is lucky to have you as an owner.

15. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Why don't you look into buying Hammel's Amusement park. It has everything you might want, and a log ride!

If not, I am sure they have stuff you would need.

Where in Sport you talking about putting the new building?

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Doc, that sounds like it would be a cool place. Can't even dream of what that place would cost, I think the numbers would scare me to death. But alas, its you that has to make the payments, I say GO FOR IT!
    I would think the resale value would be pretty scary too. I suspect that would be a very limited prospect list. Finding someone with the same interests as you have that would have the means to make the payments on what would likely have a hefty price tag may be pretty limited. From an investment stand point, I think it would suck. Then again, are you thinking about doing it for the investment or for your pleasure? Hard to put a price on ones happiness.

Much as it sounds like a really cool place, my "money matters" side would never allow me to do that. But don't let me be the wet blanket that ruins your party.
    Gene

17. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

I think I picked the wrong major while in college!

-Teach'm

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Boy, you have just touched a nerve. I've wanted yo buy an old (very large) warehouse for most of my adult life. I envision a suspended apartment (2,000 sq ft) on one end with full living accomodations accessable from the ground floor via a freight elevator. A deck outside the main building and one overlooking inside where it would look out on an indoor parking lot (with all of my toys) and a multipurpose indoor garage with areas for a machine shop, body shop, fabrication shop at the opposite end. Any available 1st floor space would have trees, grass and flower beds like a park. On the roof would be a swimming pool and recreation area with a full perimiter fence for safety. If you lived on a river or a lake there would be an indoor dock with a roll up industrial door to secure it from the outside. Just drive up in your boat, hit the opener, and drive the boat inside.
    Sounds like a dream but there is just such a warehouse in this town on the river that was a steel sales place that closed down several years ago. Now, get this, it's now being turned into a highrise condo with big buck apartments and indoor parking much like i described. It was for sale for several years for about $100,000. the city just wanted if back on the tax roles. Oh well, not a bd dream, just one I coudn't afford. I envy Scary Larry, his place comes as close as any to my vision.

Frank

19. Fidget

Fidget

Your dream house sounds like a place I saw on one of the home shows. Guy did the 50's diner, then did the drive-in idea. Had a projector screen at one end of the room, I think he had 4 complete cars inside, and the walls were painted to look like it was in the middle of the drive-in with other cars and buildings around you. Ceiling was done with fiber optic inserts to resemble the stars. Looked cool, don't remember if his cars were just shells or actually ran.

Another idea about a drive-in, with that big of a building, is to make an actual drive-in with access thru a roll up door. That way you can have everyone over, and they can just drive their own cars inside.

20. Jack

Jack
    from Austin Tx

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it. Let's see some sketch's of your dream layout.

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, totally whacked.
    How long you been runnin the nut house??
    Its that crazy that you MUST do it, or something like it. Hell, when you build a 'granny flat' service station out the back can I rent it out??
    Like Peter Brock (Aussy race legend) always said,
    "Live your dreams"

I hope the Bank comes to the party, I like the idea. Even if the time comes to move on it shouldn't be that hard to change it into something with a wider market.
    Cheers,
    Doc........... (Well, another Doc.)

22. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Sheep,
    I though about Hammel's but that land is really spendy. To pull this off, I'd want to get a good deal on the land so that I could put more money into the actual building. I like the acreage out south on Ellerbe road. The town is moving in that direction anyway and property values should be good in the future. I still think we could have a bitchin' HAMB party in such a place. Fidget, the drive-in would be fully functional and could hold lots of cars for get togethers. We could even have drive in movie night for the locals.

Doc.

23. rodknocker

rodknocker

you only live once,just do it

24. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Doc, this was my immediate thought to your question of advice. I like parts of your idea, but the overriding concern would be "can I sell it to someone else later" or "will my heirs be able to sell it later". Unfortunately, I think you know the real answer to that question.

A mile from here, in a mixed use area, a guy has his property for sale. It's a shop with a 3000 square foot house under the same roof. Well actually, it's a house, an office and a shop all in the same metal building (like what you want to do). It's been for sale a year now. I called on it. Guy wants $500,000. Even in this area where empty property sells for $30k an acre and commercial is $50000 a lot, that's a lot of money. No takers, probably due to the all in one.

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Like minds think alike ...

I want to buy a small town and convert it back to the '40's...

Cars lining the street, gas station, store, hotel, etc...everything period perfect.

...just takes $$$...:) Go for it Doc...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Dirty2

Dirty2

Lets see ,, 1 in Okla. and 1 in La. Sounds good to me. I just want a 4000 sq ft shop/house.

27. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i bought a 8000sf brick building 6 months ago,building a 3000sf house inside and the rest is shop area. the house will have a big living room/great room and it will be like a courtyard with the bedrooms and kitchen etc looking like storefronts,i have a set of glass bank doors that will be the doors to my office,the kitchen will be the cantina,a fountain will be in the courtyard and near a window will be a cafe type booth for eating,reading the paper etc.
    resale? who gives a shit?hell,if i have to sell it i'll sell it cheap enough so that whoever buys it can tear out the house or whatever.
    a loft/second story will have fake doors and windows overlooking the bottom story,just for effect.
    this will have a spanish theme,kinda like in mexico.
    i'm using old doors,etc for all the inside decor,as much as i can anyway.

ok,so i'm a sick fuck too,but i say do it!
    my new building is in Bainbridge Ga.
    randy

28. rusty210

rusty210

I saw this show also. It was very similar to what you're talking about. Very cool idea.

29. sounds cool man!!!

im thinkin bout puttin a etxension on my house to hold the wine seler

anybody gots spare fridge box??

30. NoSurf

NoSurf

When do we get started? I have my toolbelt on. :)

Send my your addy so I can send you these drawings and renderings...