Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT..?? 3.8 GM V6 motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ditz, May 20, 2008.

1. ditz

ditz

I have had an offer of a free 3.8 GM V6. I am considering putting it into a T that is set up for a sbc. I am fairly sure it is a bolt-in except for maybe the motor mounts. Does anyone know if they are the same or at least in a similar location so that I can adapt to my current cross member type mount? It still has the t350 tranny attached so the tranny mount and drive shaft will fit right in.

Thanks for the help.

ditz:confused:

2. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I think the 3.8 is just a smaller 4.3 but not 100% sure so V8 mounts would work.

3. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

there are two 3.8 for rear drive cars from gm.one is a 229 ci chevey V6 with the dist in the rear and the other is a 231 buick V6 with the distributor in the front. the chevy is a close brother of the sbc 305 but with 2 cyls wacked off.i had one of these in an A truck . it ran great and pulled down nearly 30 mpg .....

4. Swifster

Swifster

The 3.8L & 4.3L Chevy V6 engines can use the Chevy mounts. The Buick 3.8L V6 is completely different. You also have to watch out for it being FWD.

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

The last generation camaro also had a 3.8 RWD that I think is related to the 3800 FWD. What exactly do you have?

6. ditz

ditz

I appologize for the lack of information. This is a Buick Regal 3.8 with T-350 behind it. I understand the car is very clean and supposedly has 55,000 miles on it but I have not yet seen the car. It is a rwd. I kind of assumed that the motor mounts would be different but thought that it the location of the mounts on the motor are in a similar location to a sbc that new mounts could be fabricated to bolt into my current sbc cross member mounts. If the motor mounts are in a very different position front to back than the sbc motor mounts that I could just leave my current cross member in place and weld in new fabricated mounts. I am an old dog but fairly new to hot rod building. I envy you fellas that have been raised with a silver wrench. hehe.

Thanks again for the help

7. zbuickman

zbuickman

nahh there pretty close and if you can fab even alittle you got it made:)

8. ditz

ditz

Thanks Zman and to all you others. Sounds like I had better jump on it. :D I certainly am not a master fabricator but I can mess stuff up as well as the next guy.