Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Original Steel or reproduction?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacingRoger, Jan 23, 2019.

1. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We all have reasons for making the choices we make. But according to the moderators, so long as a hot rod is built to a traditional style, it’s “worthy” of being on this site whether original or repop.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  2. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I used to be a steel car snob. Heck, I used to be a no trailers snob too. Never thought about a glass car or trailering to events.
    But then I got old. Don't go to many car shows any more and don't care much what anyone thinks of my cars.
    I now have a glass '34 coupe that was built in the 80's. I also have a '64 Catalina 2+2 and a '63&1/2 Galaxie 500XL. The latter two are original cars (obviously as no one makes glass bodies of them!) and I consider them to be "old cars".
    The '34, even though titled as a 1934 Ford, is not an old car (even though it was built over 30 years ago). It doesn't have a single 1934 Ford part on it. I really can't afford an original '34 body so if I didn't have this one I wouldn't have one at all. My last '34 coupe had an original body (chopped top) and frame (fully boxed) but suspension, engine, trans, rear end, wheels & tires, wiring, gauges, etc where not original.
    If a guy has a steel body but glass doors, trunk lid, hood, grill, fenders, running boards, aftermarket frame, etc. is it really an old car anymore? What if my car had original steel doors, trunk lid, hood, grill, fenders, boards sitting on an original frame with original engine and trans, etc. and the only thing repo on it was the body shell?
    Someone brought up the reproduction painting thing. My folks are into art and they have a reproduction VanGogh painting but just because it is a copy of the original doesn't mean they enjoy looking at it any less than the original. Same for my '34. I think the 33/34 coupes are the most beautiful car Ford ever made and when I'm driving it I enjoy it just as much as if it were a steel car.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    j3harleys, jimgoetz, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

When I built an 52 F-1, I found an old letter under the dash. The post mark was my birthday. Not the year but date, to me that sums it up. IMHO

4. Found a shotgun shell and a huge bag of condoms in my 57