Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Original paint resto help on 53 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OlSchoolCruizin, May 5, 2014.

1. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

I just picked up a 53 Merc Monterey 4 door. Car is straight and retains its original paint with only a few specs of surface rust here and there. Unfortunately, it seem that someone at some point decided to try and protect the car by brushing on some sort of sealant. not sure what it is but its clear/matt and its flaking off in some areas. Any ideas on how to remove this so i can attempt to clean up the original paint? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Pics of car soon to follow.

Lance

2. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

No bueno attachments, OlSchool.

4. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Si --El foto es no mirar.

5. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399350651.118725.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399350667.476992.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. David Totten

David Totten

if its flaking off either air pressure or pressure washer should take it off.

7. that 53 is in good shape nice find

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

If you want to preserve the original paint - and I really hope you do - consult a professional before you do anything. All automotive paint stores - the ones that supply body shops with their paint supplies - have access to factory reps who have the background and knowledge to diagnose paint problems. That's what they do. Take advantage of this service. Beats the heck out of screwing up the original paint by using some inappropriate chemical or technique...

9. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Good call on the paint shop, I do want to preserve the paint and I'm trying to exhaust all options before changing it. The pressure washer might work on the flaking areas but others are still well intact. I'm wondering if a wet sand would do the trick. It is kind of like a clear.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Squablow

Squablow

It might be Cosmoline. In that case, you just have to wash it with hot water. Has to be hot though, cold won't do shit. If it's varnish or shellac, you'll have to figure out a solvent that will take it off without softening the old paint underneath.

I would suggest against a wetsanding, the paint already looks thin on there and trying to wetsand through a brushed on layer of shit and then stop at already thin paint? Recipe for disaster.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Agree with Squablow, test different solvents in areas that aren't visible, see what cuts into the "clear". I'm guessing polyeurthane or some sort of clear varnish, something meant for wood, so mineral spirits or acetone as a solvent. Not sure what type of paint was originally on that car and what solvents will cut into it. Verify. Be safe, spreading enough solvent to cover a body panel makes a lot of fumes, respirator and work outside, in the shade.