Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Original paint coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by duncan, Jun 30, 2016.

1. The formed piece with the tucks in it merely profiles the lower edge of the 1/4 end and will be removed when replaced.

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Looking good! Should make it easier to completely weld in that new subrail piece as well.

3. Did it last night Steve. Nice fit. Was that an SAR piece?

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

No, it was hand-formed by a local metal man. He does nice work. Wish SAR still sold the sub rails, they were good pieces.

5. I'm getting close to wrapping up the rear metal work. As mentioned before, I thought the transition from the wheel house, through the floor to the end panel looked awkward. This is how I've finished it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is why I replaced the cap on the Rt 1/4.[​IMG]

This is how I formed it.
    Make a light cardboard template. [​IMG]

Transfer it to sheet stock and roll the lower edge profile with a 1/4" bead roll. I do this in 2 passes to maximum depth. Make sure the piece is larger than you need. Its way easier to hold on to, won't distort as much and can be trimmed later. You want 1/2" to fold under. [​IMG]

Now start to work the hem. I use 2 different Marlin Spikes ( God's gift to metal forming) one that I've rounded over (they're usually mushroomed when you find them ) and the other is an undercut. [​IMG]

Start at the end furthest from the corner. With the Spike held securely, place the rounded over edge on the inside of the underside of the bead and strike the hem edge lightly with a close to flat body hammer. Work your way along in multiple passes to fold the hem to 90 degrees. Also work the short side evenly. When the corner starts to pucker, apply some heat at the pucker only and work it down. Easy on the heat, you want to keep the carbon at a minimum. Repeat until you achieve the shape you desire. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I wanted to do away with the shallow corner that meets the rear fender as I'm not going to run them, so the radius is smooth. [​IMG]

Next I'll fit it, metal finish it and butt weld it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Checked out Ron's coupe today. He is doing some great work and this will be one cool hot rod when finished.

7. Good to see you guys. Greg seemed motivated.

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

yes, I think we have motivated Greg to get going on his 34 Ford five window coupe, a nice mostly original car. He has had the coupe for decades, so it is time to finish it and get it out on the road.

duncan likes this.
  9. The rear panel, 1/4 ends and trunk floor are ready for primer. Started the dash yesterday because I'm held up on the outside patch panels until the body's on the frame.
    Didn't want to cut up the original dash to install gauges so I removed it. Still has some of Henry's black lacquer on it.
    I cut up a 36 dash that I had previously filled and I'm going with that instead. Cut down the horns where it meets the windshield post.
    There won't be room for a waterfall though, as it will be narrowed 3". [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Outback, dwollam, ss34coupe and 2 others like this.
  10. I worked a bit on the front suspension today. Mocking it up to see how to proceed with the parts I have on hand. A 39 Mercury front axle (for the 2.25"perch), which I am going to have dropped 1.5" , reversed eye spring and traditional wishbones using custom batwings made from 46-8 wishbone perch knuckles. I noticed the add that Oldcarguy77 posted in the classifieds for his reverse eye front springs and shackles. In looking at Mike's shackles, I realized that they have the look I want ie castellated nuts at both ends and I thought they might work with my left over 36 rear shackle dogbones, so I ordered a pair.
    I assembled my shackles on the spring today. I didn't want black nylon bushings, they look too modern, so I used oilite bronze bushings, Mike's shackle pins and my left over 36 dogbones, which fit the square shoulder on Mike's pins perfectly.
    I E/mailed Mike, and he will sell the pins separately, so anyone that has left over round edge Henry dogbones can buy just them, and the bushings from your local bearing supplier. [​IMG][​IMG]

Thor1, Outback, dwollam and 1 other person like this.
  11. Duke

Duke

Looking good. What is the part number and manufacturer for the bushings?

12. Manufacturer is unknown Duke. I bought them from my local bearing supplier, who has since closed. Part number is SF1624-16 Fastenal lists them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  13. Duke

Duke

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Dustin, you could build an original paint 34 coupe with that 5 window you have sitting in your garage - provide some company for Ron's build.

15. Love watching this car come together

16. Duke

Duke

That is the plan. I think my original paint is under the race paint (don't worry, I won't change it).

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, Outback and ALCAN AV8 like this.
  17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Dustin - time to start a thread on your original paint coupe, both you and Ron are building them just the way myself and a lot of others like them.

18. Nice work and this is going to be a great hot rod....

19. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

looking good had 4 34 down to one pickup 3 w/d 348 4sp. 5w/d 401 3x2 5sp. 5w/d 327 4sp. all 9in. it to may go up 4/s ? keep up the good work its LOOKING COOL :cool::cool:

20. I received the wood kit for the coupe yesterday. Made by Brad's Woodshop in Friday Harbour WA. exceptional fit and finish, which fits nicely into my plan.

21. I spent the afternoon removing dents from the roof(chaindamage) and Lt 1/4. Managed to save some of the paint but some did flake off. More bare metal to love. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thor1 and dwollam like this.
  22. Step 2, how to make it look like it is not a work in progress.
    I'm fine with rust, as long as it is old established rust and not perforation.
    I am not OK with dents. In my mind, dents are the difference between well worn and beat to shit. Weird eh?
    Dolly'd out the dents yesterday and I need to do something about the "shiny" area.
    I had an idea that Cold Blueing compound would work, as I've used it to antique projects in the past. If the metal is clean and grease free, it colours it a rich dark rust shade. That's what I want. I boarded the repair area with 80 grit, being careful not to remove the old established surface rust. Then treated the whole area with Picklex20 to kill the rust, 2 applications to keep it wet for 10 minutes, dried it thoroughly and applied 3 coats of Birchwood Casey Super Blue with a Q tip, keeping it wet. When I had achieved the colour match that i wanted to the established rust, I neutralized the blueing ( or in this case Bronzing) with water, dried and hand buffed it with towelling and hit it with Gibbs, my finish of choice. [​IMG][​IMG]

Thor1 and Outback like this.
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Plumb brown works really well and comes out a nice smooth dark rust brown. Kinda like root beer.

24. Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. dwollam

dwollam

This Roadster is in Hot Rod mag this issue. I got to see the car and visit with the owner a couple years ago at the Flathead Reliability Run in Monitor WA. Cool car and Nice guy.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  26. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Your Coupe is looking great............KEEP GOING!!!!!

27. heavydumper

heavydumper

This shot makes me realize how wonderful this world can be.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for taking the time to share it with us all.

28. When my "lust" began, there was no big block in existence ...... there was no SBC in existence.
    Flat heads and inliners were the way to go. :)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  29. I am liking the dash