Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Original Model A Color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30-Centauri-A, Feb 9, 2018.

1. 30-Centauri-A

30-Centauri-A

The 1930 Model A I bought almost a year ago is in very good shape so all I'm planning on doing is clean it up. But, the paint job on it is kind of rough. So I want to repaint it. I would like to have the original color but I don't know how to find what that might be. On some areas, mainly inside the door, the current paint is scratched off and you can see a nice looking blue. I would use that color, but I don't know if it's just another color the car was at some other time or if it's the original color.

Is there a way to find the original options including the color for any particular car using the engine serial number?

2. catdad49

catdad49

Check out The Ford Barn, those guys should be able to help.

3. They used to say that you could have a Ford any color you like as long as its black. LOL

I have seen As tan and Blue, but I am not sure that they actually came that way.

OK here is an interesting read for ya.

http://www.mafca.com/gallery_colors.html

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The only thing the serial number will tell you is the build date of the engine.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 30-Centauri-A

30-Centauri-A

I took a good look at both links and they both look to be a good source to find an accurate color to use. The blue that is under the current black looks a lot like Washington Blue. But out of curiosity, I scratched off paint in two different spots.
    Inside the door under the current black is the Washington Blue like color then a black primer. On the inside of the a-pillar, starting with bare metal; black primer, bright yellow, dark grey-blue, the current black.
    Only the blue on the door looks anything like any Model A color. So if any of the colors I see are original, I'm thinking it must be Washington Blue.

7. MAFCA puts out a paint and finish guide that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know, https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129. Go over to Fordbarn and post a picture of the color you found. You should add your general location to your profile, someone might have a copy of the paint and finish guide you could look at.

Charlie Stephens