Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original Batmobile to be auctioned in January 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Holy Shit Loads Of Money Batman" $$$$$$$$

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Those links are pretty cool. Lots of interesting info. There are plenty of Futura pictures available that would help a clone be made without un-customizing the original Batmobile.

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Nobody cares about concept cars. Well..except a few here on the H.A.M.B. stuck in a time warp. As the Batmobile, the car is an icon. As the Futura, it was just another wet dream.

4. #1 is worth more as the Batmobile for sure. Link says one of them sold for $600K a while back. I'm thinking $1M for #1.

5. Wowcars

Wowcars

Can we all just pool money together to let Moriarity buy it and make it the Futura again? I'd be in on that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

6. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

theres a Futura clone anyway beat off on it and leave the Batmobile alone

7. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

x2:d

8. I would also vote on restoring it to the Futura. It was one of a kind.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Here are a few photos I took of Batmobile #1 (1955 Lincoln Futura):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Piss on the Batmoblile - bring back the Futura to its royal glory

11. Unfortunately the Batmobile is a victim of its own fame. There are so many replica's that a Buyer who is interested in it as the 1955 Ghia bodied Lincoln Futura would likely have it returned to its first incarnation. with the Batmobile parts cut out. A Batmobile could be recreated with those original parts. For those that think concept cars are worthless and undesirable.

1934 Ford Special Edsel Ford Speedster $1,760,000

1953 Ford Vega Roadster $378,000.00

1954 Desoto Adventurer II $1,500,000

1954 Dodge Firearrow III $800,000

1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special $3,080,000

1954 Oldsmobile F-88 concept $3,240,000

1957 Chrysler Diablo Concept bid to $1,200,000 reserve not met

1960 Plymouth XNR $935,000

12. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

That's probably due to the fact the newer Batmobiles blow. If I were a cop and saw one of those horrid things, I would take great pride in getting those off the road. I saw one in the Petersen Museum a few years back and barely slowed down. But regardless of what the Futura Lover's Society thinks, the Batmobile is hands-down the sleekest ride ever to come out of Barris' shop. A few years ago I saw some article online about some guy selling Batmobile bodies and such that were based on '68-'83 Corvette chassis. My wife has a cherry, two owner, low mileage '69 Corvette with a 427 and 4 speed that we have been trying to sell. I offered to yank the body off that and install a Batmobile body on it, but that unreasonable wench nixxed that idea. I even offered to buy her a Batgirl outfit (and the requisite boob job!) but there was no reasoning with her. Some people...

13. The only thing that Barris did to the Batmobile was paint it black and hang crap from the dime store on it.
    Shame on Ford for not keeping their showcars. GM still has most of their showcars at the Heritage Center in Detroit. The even have the Y job, their oldest showcar.

14. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

15. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I'm voting for restoration.
    [​IMG]
    Compare this to the pictures posted above.

16. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I did and I stand by my original statement, the Futura wouldn't even be a blip on any car guy's radar if it weren't for it's Batmobile version. Be honest, who here (or anywhere) ever heard of the Futura before they heard of the Batmobile? That's like saying you like Norma Jean better than Marilyn Monroe, it's the same thing with different makeup.

17. williebill

williebill

Just because you'd never heard of the Futura doesn't mean the resy of us hadn't .
    Go read the older book titled "Dream Cars"...
    Watch "It Started with a Kiss"

I know the story of how little time Barris had to build the Batmobile,and how little respect the dream cars got after their time in the spotlight,but George fucked up when he used the Futura.

18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Do you really think that?

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I keep waiting for Fords Mystere to show up one day. Me being the one finding it of course..:D the Futura has history and is cool either way..

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Am I the only kid in America who hated the Batman show. POWWW. WHAMMM, KAPOOOWWW. Then the crazy stuff that Robin said. I was always cheerin for the Joker when I did atch it. I VOTE FOR THE FUTURA! I think I`ve only seen one of the remakes(movies). Saw all three Batmobiles they have on tour in Huston at the World of Wheels show. Was more impressed with the Batgirl in Leather. It will go for BIG money. A batman fanatic and a Futura restorer will duke it out.

21. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I had fun sitting in it!

Attached Files:

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I believe the Munster Coach was also auctioned at the same time in the early 80's (then Barris promptly built another?).

I'd drive the Batmobile to work-but only after I installed a real flamethrower in the jet exhaust.

Stanlow is right; A Futura restorer and a Batman money bag will duke it out-maybe on stage to a "BONK and POW"!

FUTURA or BATMOBILE? The real underlying question here is which car would get more Poon?

B-J will probably hype the shit otta the whole affair and play this showing to the freakin hilt with a stage of leather clad models posing as Batgirl's and Catwomen (Hey now!).

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the car is driven onto the stage by a middle aged man (sporting a slight ponch) in a Batman outfit along with the Boy Wonder.
    Maybe portrayed by these two 'characters' (quick, someone photoshop them into the dynamic duo);

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's not getting restored. It ain't gonna happen. I just hope it stays in the US. All arguing aside, it's the fucking Batmobile. THE one. Countless cobra replicas have not diminished the value of the originals...All the bat clones out there will have no effect on this. It's gonna get stupid money and its because its the fucking Batmobile, anyone looking to restore the futura is gonna bow out WAY before its done. Why? Cause it's the fucking Batmobile!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I heard that the one in the Barris showroom is a clone too. The other is in a different location. Compare it to the above post of Groovybaby6.

25. As a kid I loved Batman, I was too young (7 when it started) to understand the campiness of it. I watched the original Batman movie not too long ago and loved it.

The Futura is a very cool car, but if it was mine I would keep it as the Batmobile. Im pretty sure I saw the original as a kid at a car show in Seattle. It sure looks like the pics shown here. I also saw the Monkeymobile at that show. I miss the show cars from back in the day.

26. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

The car Groovybaby6 is sitting in is a clone, owned by George and sitting in his shop in that photo (I think). The clone has black painted window frames and the shape and stance of the car are somewhat different. The Futura has the (faded) chrome window frames. There are multiple other differences that are more apparent when you see them in person.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  27. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Batman SUCKS, restore the Futura!

28. I hope somebody here buys it; keep it in the family, an' all. Belongs to the people, the fans, the passionate brigade, not stowed away in a warehouse under a cloth.
    Be great to see it in a museum that doesn't mind taking it on tour now and then. Like a lotta you guys, I grew up with that car. And then one day, I started thinking... "hmmm, Catwoman looks pretty damed hot.."

29. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

I wonder if he'd trade for 2 projects. TWO!!

30. slammed

slammed

Still stuck in the '70's? The '70's Sucked big disco biscuits....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.