Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original 40 Ford Coupe, Buff it or leave it alone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barnfind 56, Jul 20, 2010.

1. That car deserves to be taken care of and preserved.. Buff it and detail the hell out of it to protect it.. It wont lose its patina by doing this but preserve it if anything..

oops replied before I read the last pages .. Looks good.. glad ya did it..?

2. 5w32

5w32

awesome! its only that way once.....maybe some new running boards and rough them up a bit

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Or buy a better used set. That's what I did.

4. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

It does blend better now, makes me feel better.

Hey, check out the original owners drivers license I found with the paper work I got. Check the date of birth :eek:!

[​IMG]

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's pretty cool. It needs to be framed and displayed.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No matter what you do to the "patina" rust will slowly eat the metal away in places you can't see. Remove the fenders and fix the rust NOW or it will just get worse over time.
    Then you'll wish you had nipped it in the bud. It's too nice a car to neglect doing what is best for your nice find.

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A nicely worn set would be perfect. Car looks much better and still has that "Barn fresh" look. I would try to take care of the rust on the fenders. Match the paint as close as possible and just spot those areas in, maybe over some red oxide primer, then rub the paint to give it that sun waethered look (letting the red oxide bleed through). That is one handsome car.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nice to see you buffed it. what did you use? is the body original paint?

gotta love a survivor 40 coupe.

9. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

I tried several things but the Meguiars cleaning wax seem to work the best. It has had some crappy paint work done on it in the past, at least 50 plus years ago.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You've definitely sharpened it up, and if you keep it waxed, I think it'll continue to look better over time.