Register now to get rid of these ads!

origin of so cal logo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thintin, Jul 23, 2013.

1. i have a history question.........i am interested in knowing the origin of the "civilian engineered power and speed"logo that i've seen on some so cal speed t shirts.........i'm guessing it's origin's probably date back to the early days....don't really know and would appreciate any input.......thanks

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search on Alex Xydias, founder of So Cal Speed Shop

3. We have a winner! :D HRP

4. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

I would think it may have some thing to do with Alex Xydias WW II services as radio operator and engineer on a B17 useing what he may have picked up in the service. If we are thinking of the same red and white logo. The colors painted onto the tails (vertical stabilizer fins), wings, or fuselages of the combat aircraft (primarily bombers) of the United States Army Air Forces during the Second World War. The purpose of these markings was to provide a means of rapid identification of the unit to which an aircraft was assigned The first color markings for B-17s appeared in July 1944 when the 1st Combat Bomb Wing (91st, 381st, and 398th Bomb Groups) painted the empennage of their airplanes bright red.

5. appreciate the info fordsum.........i was most interested in the" civilain engineered" part of the logo and how it came to be...........i'm guessing based on your info that it probably was seen as a selling point that soon after ww2..........again thanks