Register now to get rid of these ads!

O'reilly Auto Junk wheel cylinders 1951 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always hone the wheel cylinders first before deciding to rebuild or replace. I rebuilt them back when I was doing five or six brake jobs a day on lots of days when I worked in a Firestone store and don't see the need to change now even though the cost is close to the same.

I usually rebuild single piston master cylinders if I use them but don't rebuild the double piston (line) master cylinders as I have never had any luck rebuilding them since they first came out.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hay voodo do all the cylinders leek or just one. If more than one you might want to look into the ckeck valve in the master cylinder it needs to hold pressure in the line to keep the cups expanded so thay seal.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just one is leaking......at the moment. I'm using a master cylinder from a '62 Chevy pickup. I swapped the clutch and brake bores. Clutch side works great. As soon as I apply brake pedal, the right front cylinder leaks passed the rubber cup. Oy. Left front and rears have not leaked....yet.

4. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

my impression is The Autozones here in Mass seem to be consistently pricier than Advanced Auto on name brand chemicals.
    then again a middle sized store they had genuine Timken wheel bearings in stock for my buddy's Corvette for a very fair price.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Mabe there cardboard templet was wore out when thay made that one.

6. DenK

DenK

Replaced rear wheel cyls on the 41 Ford with Wagner.
    One the mounting holes were off a hair, the other
    bleeder hole wasn't drilled through. Shoulda sleeved
    what I had.

7. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I just went thru hell with "made in USA" front cylinders for a '40 Ford from Mac's.
    Absolute junk. The hoses would not seal, I went thru 3 sets of hoses and washers until I decided to take out the cylinders. On the surface where the crush washer seats, one was cracked and the other one had a dimple. No way they were going to seal.

I rebuilt old 1 3/8" bore originals I had, they sealed fine!

8. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

What kinda luck are folks having with old stock cylinders? How's the rubber hold up?

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I usually get mine from Autozone, ive put them on a few of my mercs with no issues, forget what the maker of them are..