Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Oregon's World of Speed Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TerrytheK, Nov 21, 2018.

1. uncle buck

uncle buck

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hey T,

The Pacific Northwest is one of our favorite vacation spots. It is completely different than what we see daily in So Cal. You took some outstanding photos of that great museum. We saw it blasting by on the way south from Portland one summer and decided that the next time we are going up the 5 freeway to the Pacific Northwest, we would stop and visit.
    upload_2018-11-27_3-38-41.png
    They have my old drag racing films in the newly, edited form for separate classes and race cars. One day we will be up there to see the whole museum and our films in action, if they are displayed. I know this is a Northwest based museum, but, did you happen to see any films from So Cal being shown?
    upload_2018-11-27_3-40-55.png
    Perhaps, they may have shown some of them on that big screen in the right background? We have been in contact with the director and talked about automotive, historic films. They asked about my So Cal films and I sent them full and edited versions for display or whatever they do with donated films. (archives or small monitors in a drag racing area of the museum, etc.)

Jnaki

The town is small and we happened to zip by it quickly as the freeway speeds were flowing. We did not know of it until reading about it in 2016. Since it is in an industrial tract, we assumed it was large, but not full of the cool race cars you photographed and showcased. Thanks… now, we know what is inside and how it is set up.

TerrytheK, chryslerfan55 and HEMI32 like this.
  3. A bit off topic for the H.A.M.B. ... but here's a decent interview with (the museum's original executive director) Tony Thacker:

... and here's a few of Tony Thacker's (HAMB-friendly) FuelCurve articles:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great interview and coverage.
    Hoping some of the more modern segments can be overlooked, not that I have any issues.
    Saw some familiar faces in the Woodburn Dragstrip coverage, my old home strip.

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Great collection of historic cars! Thank you for sharing!

TerrytheK likes this.
  6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thanks for sharing that with us. I wonder just how many cool things around the country are out there that we don't know about.

7. From Danny Thompson’s December 7th 2018 Facebook post:

Challenger 1 & 2 together for the first time at The World of Speed Museum in Wilsonville, Oregon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Been there - Neat place!!

9. saltracer219

saltracer219

I believe the museum bought quite a bit of Bucky's collection a while back.

TerrytheK likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Makes sense, he has a lot of that stuff.

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That sounds like quite the collection of old racing memobilia

12. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@jnaki - As I recall what was showing the day I was there was a documentary on open wheel road racing. I didn't stop to watch it, as my time was a little limited- ain't that always the way it goes?? :rolleyes:
    They had seating in the screen area so you could park yourself and presumably watch as long as you wanted, which was pretty cool. I'm sure they rotate features. I don't know if it's on a random basis or if they have a schedule but maybe you could contact the museum and find out? I can tell you if one of your drag racing films had been showing I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it!! :)
    I'll make another trip back there and hopefully be able to spend a little more time.

jnaki likes this.
  13. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks again everyone for adding the pics, comments and info. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest scouting their website which has already been posted but here it is again : http://www.worldofspeed.org/ Or do an online search.
    Something else the museum does is work with school districts in the area to host automotive classes for school kids. I also read that they have done classes on job search and resume skills for those entering the automotive workforce. These are practical tools that kids can use as they enter the real world. So it's more than just a collection of cars, they're involved in their communities in other ways too.
    Yah, I know I sound like a paid spokesperson.. :rolleyes: It's just that I don't see much of this kind of stuff back in "flyover country" where I come from... and I like it!
    Carry on - and Merry Christmas!

HEMI32 and jnaki like this.
  14. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sorry to hear that. Obviously did not know him, but he (along with many others I'm sure) have created a wonderful legacy. Everyone who visits the museum should be thankful for his vision.