Register now to get rid of these ads!

Order, Order...dammit, sit down! the monthly meeting of der Banger'en to commence.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nice graphic, Phil. One of yours?

2. It's an obsession :D

How 'bout some current pics of the B'ville car? If I remember, it was a 27 roadster:cool:

What's the secret on adapting the Chev Lakewood housing to the "B"?
    Or would have to kill me if you told me?:D

3. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

picked up rpu body at big 3 = got a couple of stock carbs in the mollasses n water trick = almost done with my granny flat so's I can get to assembling again= still raining here in so cal

4. Wow, thats the best!

5. yah, it is. and it is also a huge pain in the ass. Peugot used a semi desmo set up on their '13 GP motor. (though they had a small helper spring to push the valves closed. The 50's Mercedes grand prix cars also ran a desmo set up. And as everyone knows ducati's have em.

Other than having a cool technical feature, desmo is a pain in the but (try adjusting the valves...)

6. Nah - from the wonders of Wikipedia.

7. I know where it is, but it will be a while before i can get out there and take some pics of it. If i recall the guy had made his own cam and the works, but he died before he could finish it.

I was just trying to figure out a way of translating his cam lobes to figure out what he had done and whether or not it was even runable.

8. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the graphic, that illustrates it perfect :cool:
    That's cool, whenever you get the chance, I will be here :)

9. sounds good to me, now i just need to get down there and buy it then;) and post a tech of how to make it work.

10. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

i used to work on ducati race bikes,,, they have desmo valve gear you realy had to take the heads off to set the clearences all done with shims

the closing clearence was tricky as too much and the valve hung open not too bad once running but it made it a even more of a pig to start and too tight and you couldnt even turn the engine over as the valve tried to stretch

so you had to find the nearest shim on the large size and make it just the right size by surface grinding ( if you had a surface grinder available) or lapping it on something flat

to do both heads right for racing could take most of a day,,, but when they went well they were great engines but boy could the go bang in a big way

a big advantage of this system was the small loads on the valve gear no big valve springs to control the valve bounce at high engine speeds
    you can turn the valve gear over by hand

11. a ducati that went boom, you dont say. The other cool advantage about a desmo engine is that they sound so cool.