Register now to get rid of these ads!

Order, Order...dammit, sit down! the monthly meeting of der Banger'en to commence.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Mar 31, 2006.

1. So what have you silly sods done over the past month?

All i managed to do was get down and wipe the dust off the T and get a new distributor for it.

Last time i drove it I couldnt get it to start. It turns out the up right portion of the distributor, where the head mounts is worn out. But as it is made of almost 90 year old pot metal, i figured it is best to leave it alone.

Thus i picked up another aftermarket distributor.

Now i really am a fan of running original equipment, but in this case i gave in a picked up a more modern aftermarket one, this one has a 4 cylinder jeep head grafted onto it. (now the next step is going to see if i can make it fit!)...i will post some pictures this weekend.

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Has it been a month already?!? God, I suck.

Actually, I've done a lot of research. I know a lot more now than I did last month, so it has not been wasted time. But I haven't got any cool pictures or anything.

Well, except the new pics of Multi's T, but those are already on another post...

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i bought a stock B side cover so my motor doesnt get dust in there sitting in the corner awaiting me working on it
    these months sure are flying by!

zach

4. Squablow

Squablow

I took the advice of others and made a deal to get a complete 28 A chassis to use under my '26 T roadster. Of course, that leaves me with a stock running Model T chassis, so I'm already thinking about making a boattail racer or a truck with what's left of the T. So, basically, my '26 T roadster has asexually reproduced itself into two projects.

Oh, and check out this side cover I got at a swap meet for $5. Cool, huh?

Attached Files:

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

got a stock updraft carb in great shape from a local ebay'r

popped the cap off the dizzy to see a rusty breaker plate, a set of what might be points under a pile of white powdery stuff and no rotor,

eyeballed the sludge covered dip stick

and bumped the motor over with a spare 12 Volt

all in all a pretty productive 15 minutes :)

6. i dont recall that you were bangin?...when did this happen and what is it going in? :eek: (cause i am sure it is going to look good!)

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Can you do a sixties-style banger?

8. ~E~

~E~

Fur and other four-holers- I have recently picked up a 31 sedan and have started to take apart the mill. The thing is coming apart like it was built last month. Pulled the head, pan, water pump, side cover and gen. Other than rust-crust in the water passages and oil jelly in the pan- it looks fantasic in there. Are there any things I should be looking for when disassembling and upon re-assembling what are your suggestions on crank, cam and carbing?

Great info from 4 2 GO and fur biscuit- Thanks

- E

9. I dont belong to the Bange'n group but I have somethin funny to add....
    I am gathering parts for a 4 cyl 29 RPU.I got my engine and tranny yesterday-Pulled it out and ready to run just needs steam cleaned and painted......Not an A- not a T -not a B ........But its a D:D
    Datsun that is:eek:
    It is a '72 Datsun B-210 4 cyl [carbureted with point distributor] and a 5 speed.....I know -I know, Im not eligible to be a "banger"driver without a Ford 4 cyl......Don't care -Im too lazy[AND CHEAP:p ] to fool with the old technology!
    Now that Ive been ejected from this meeting......let the meeting Proceed:)

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I considered a late banger myself, but when it comes down to it, I'm really excited to deal with the simplicity of the early motors - and I really want something I can hand crank!

11. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

well i am not a member but maybe you guys would like the model a i just got running a couple of weeks ago. this is the first banger ive dealt with and it was a pain trying to get it fired for the first time, but now that its running its a blast to drive. not to mention that its right hand drive. my plan is to just lower it and run it like this for awhile.

Attached Files:

12. Well, there is enough new aftermarket stuff available that intake, new head, and headers are all pretty easy to get.

As for a cam I am partial to regrinds. I use both Bruce Crower and Dema Elgin

(Elgins cams dial in a little more accurately than Crowers, but that said Crowers still dial in a whole shit load better than majority of the other regrinds)

If you want to learn how to design a cam spec i can send you Elgins bible on the subject.

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Tetanus Shot, that's very cool. How do you plan to lower it? You're gonna keep the 19" wheels, right?

15. THAT would be awesome! :cool: If you could include me.

fordyford@earthlink.net

16. i am going to need a shipping address...

17. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I got three tons of Model A parts. Does that count? :D

Attached Files:

18. are those short or long tons?...;)

19. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

“So what have you silly sods done over the past month?”

Well, let’s see. I’ve sent my Mallory off to Vintage Ignition for revamp, I’ve got my new Raja sparkplug connectors and cloth covered wire. Uh…. Oh! I got a new 12 volt negative ground cutout so I can get rid of the damn alternator and put my generator back on.:p Now, if it will just stop raining….. :cool:

Hey, are we supposed to be a member of some group or something? ;) How much is that going to cost?:D

20. raining...? i figured you guys were getting snow up there!

21. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

It is HEAVY tons. Got some wheels too

Attached Files:

22. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

We have been. I've been up here for about 30 years and it has never stuck for more than a day! Can't say that now.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

is that what it's called?
    I don't know if I am or not,
    I have this A chassis I pulled the body from
    and thought if it ran it might sell easier

and then of course if it runs good I might make something out of it..
    who knows

I have never played with one of these things, thought it might be fun.

Attached Files:

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've been busy. I sold my old A gennie on eBay, leaving a nice space for a 25amp Lucas unit. This took a little head-scratching to get to fit but it's in quite nicely now, and I've wired it in using a RB340 three-bobbin regulator/cut out which is fitted under my seat, completely hidden.
    All of this was done so that I had enough amps to power an MSD 6A that I bought from a recent swap meet along with a Blaster 2 coil. I'm already using a Mallory.
    I figured that there'd be a difference from the stock set-up but I wasn't prepared for how much more torquey the banger feels, it really picks up it's heels and gets going in high gear from much further down the rev range. The exhaust note is also much deeper and sounds almost V8-like.
    All this torque alongside the 3.48 gears in the quickie have made my coupe a shit-load more fun!

25. better be careful, you might enjoy it! :D

26. Mainly been parts collecting this month.

Thanks to Bruce Lancaster I've got the start of my new and improved (?) fuel system.

[​IMG]

The above is a 1910 era Lunkenheimer hand pump for pressurising the fuel tank with air.
    Also have a SW 10 pound pressure gauge and have restored the original 'A' cast iron sediment bowl,fuel line and tap.

[​IMG]

Finally got round to fitting my SP tops.

[​IMG]

Oh... I think this is called a Riley?

[​IMG]

27. YOU DIDN'T?!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

28. I did!

A $1000 off, a FREE finned aluminium Riley side plate and 2 Dollars to the Pound.

Thats a situation you can't pass up!

29. fuck i hate the current exchange rate... :(

great score you lucky bastard!

30. Dugg

Dugg

I'm a wee bit confused.........hey, I'm old! My project is based on an Olds Quad 4.... which I don't have as yet, but I'm working on it. It may be free.

So, can I be a Banger? Huh? Can I? Can I? Or, is it only for Mod A's or ?????

Awaiting your prompt and courtious reply, we remain....

partially sober..... this Chardonay is very mellow and smooth.