Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Optimism & Old Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 19, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Optimism & Old Cars

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Moondog13

Moondog13

Just brought my dog Persephone to the US from Colombia where my wife and son are currently stuck. Trying to get lost is almost impossible in a neighborhood I lived in for nearly 30 years but seeing change is nice I guess. A lot of the old cars that were around are gone now. Thinking about the pandemic and how many people have been affected as we walk along is much better than sitting at home thinking about it. I miss my family.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the photo of the rear end of the car, where the snow outline on the ground mimics the horizontal fins of the car. That snow must have fallen straight down.

You write some good stuff!

4. I know things will get better, I just hope that I will live long enough to witness it!

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

How long til the owner of the chevy says he was wondering what you were doing taking photos of the car lol

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This all goes away soon. I predict we'll see some pretty bitchin cars hit the scene this year.

7. Great story, Joey. I love it when I get a nice surprise when I least expect it, like turning the corner and seeing this sweet Biscayne. Looks like Stella enjoyed it as well.:)..........Optimism, yeah, we certainly need that right now.

J.Ukrop and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool Story ! Great Sign ! I Agree, Never Give Up, The secret to success IMO with words of wisdom from my parents, "There are No Excuses, Make it Happen"

J.Ukrop likes this.
  9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My dad worked for the Virginia Farm Bureau back in the day and drove a new black '60 Biscayne 4 dr company car just like that one except it had blackwall tires. We moved to Oklahoma at the end of '61 and that was the end of that. But we did move to Oklahoma with a '58 Biscayne 4 dr (Glen Green) and a '54 210 4 dr (black).

10. Bluedot

Bluedot

Stella is cool!
    And RE the sign, it reminds me of a line from the movie Galaxy Quest: "Never give up! Never surrender!"

J.Ukrop likes this.
  11. little red 50

little red 50

J.Ukrop likes this.
  12. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Straight.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I have a hard time feeling at all optimistic anymore.
    It's a sad reflection on our current times, that we NEED sign like that:(.
    What really bothers me is, when all the "greatest generation" and all us "Baby Boomers" are gone, there will be no more memories of when times were really good. Only stories about those times:(

lothiandon1940 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  14. Just an FYI ... the "DON'T GIVE UP" signs are part of a suicide prevention campaign that started in Oregon back in 2017 ... and has since gone global (see www.dontgiveupsigns.com)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  15. It appears that chevy has seen a lot of block sanding....nice and straight with shiny black paint. It was good to see photos of my old home town. I was born/raised in a small town 85 miles up river from Portland but most of us went to Portland to make our fortunes after graduation and/or coming home from the military. I stayed on the southeast side of town mostly. The last year or so the news out of Portland hasn't been too good. Breaks my heart. It was nice you got to spend some time there.

16. Thanks for sharing Joey! Cool car and even better sign. Pretty sure the sooner we all realize we really are in this together, the sooner we can help each other through it.

lothiandon1940, Paul and J.Ukrop like this.
  17. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I keep waiting for the right cruiser like that one coming to me at the right place and time to become my daily....

Devin

J.Ukrop and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life is a series of moments.
    That was a good moment.
    Thanks, Joe.
    Thanks, Stella.

lothiandon1940 and J.Ukrop like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's Orygon by the way!:D

J.Ukrop likes this.
  20. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

1stGrumpy said it all. Things will get better. It may take another four years.

21. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot to like here Joey.I like the car, I like Both signs,(another one down the street,"You got This",and I like your attitude.I'm havin fun now.Let's make some history

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I really enjoyed that thanks!! Lippy

J.Ukrop likes this.
  23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

My wife and I are living a normal life. I still get with some car guys every afternoon for adult beverages and meet another set of friends for lunch on Wednesdays. We didn’t do our usual winter in SoCal. Right now, I’m more concerned for our country and how it’s going to affect my grand children.

J.Ukrop and chevy57dude like this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, Portland is maybe the easiest town I have ever been to get lost in or at least to have to stop and study a map of one sort or another to figure out where you are. Some interesting old neighborhoods there though.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  25. 392

Great thread and true to the core.

J.Ukrop and rod1 like this.
  26. DrJekyllMrHyde

DrJekyllMrHyde

J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There´s usually a positive side to most negative things, but right now thet positive sides are well hidden under a big load of c**p that is happening. Thank you for taking us out and showing us around!!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  28. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Right on, Joey and Stella. Great message.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  29. Nice car and photos, but it does deserve to be in a nice dry garage, and out of the snow and salt...

J.Ukrop likes this.
  30. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Great read! Crazy how a brisk walk and the sight of a Plain Jane Biscayne can make the last 12 months disappear, even if just for a moment

J.Ukrop likes this.