Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Optimal Cfm for pull electric fan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Miller, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

I’ll skip how I got here .. going to remove the stock fan on my 53 8BA slightly built in a 40 Sedan. Going to use a pull fan. Presently have a 14” push that is rated at 1500 cfm and considering flipping that to the pull side. New Walker four row that holds about 55 gallons ( kidding )

Question ... should I just go to a 16” fan with 2500-3000 cfm and buy new or try to use my existing? I am usually one for overkill but after awhile things get silly.

truck water pumps, no overhearing issues now, no shroud used now, live in NC where it is 95 in the summer. Thamks!

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

If you have 12 volt system, I really like CCI shrouded electric fans, 2200 com I think. Got two of em and really do the job.

rockable and olscrounger like this.
  3. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

My (fresh, stock) 8BA in a 2N tractor would not stay cool with a stock tractor radiator and small pusher fan. Got a '90-95 Taurus 2-speed fan and it got better but would still overheat sitting still. Finally had to get a bigger aluminum radiator to stay cool. I like the Taurus fan. I have had cheap aftermarket fans I was not impressed with. OEM fans have lots of testing for durability and reliability so I feel better about using them over aftermarket. On yours I would be sure that the radiator was clean before I went to another fan though.

firstinsteele likes this.
  4. fordflambe

fordflambe

Okie (thank you Okie!) recommended the CCI to me for my 41 delivery that was always marginal. The CCI totally fixed my problem. Wisdom is talking, you should listen.

Cant prove it but I have always been told that pushers are about 15% less efficient than pullers.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't believe all the manufactures CFM claims most are BS. If you must use an electric fan buy the biggest Spal that will fit your application. They don't use them on Ferrari's for nothing.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

AFA believing the manufacturers BS about cfm I agree , there are way too many test variables for them to be worthwhile as a means of comparison . Remember the watt ratings on stereos. or the hp ratings on small electric motors ? As to using them in Ferraris , GM put north star engines in Cadillacs , look what fine examples of engineering they were !

7. I recommend using a Cooling Components puller fan and shroud. Cover your radiator as thoroughly as possible with the shroud.

Get rid of the puller fan. They block air flow at low speeds when you need maximum air flow through the radiator.

Phil

Gman0046 likes this.
  8. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Good advice already, get the largest puller fan you can fit along with a shroud and hook it up to a thermister switch and you're good to go.

pprather likes this.