Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on which way I should go with my build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Nov 6, 2022.

1. evintho

evintho

I'm at that inflection point in my build. I had an original plan and at some point I ventured way off of it. When I originally bought the '54 Ford my thoughts were, a little low all around with Moon discs, flat black and sidepipes. Kind of a salt flat racer look. Something like this..............

264246050_649109116247475_8857677442861311082_n.jpg

Somewhere along the line my goals changed and I began heading toward green w/white top, a slight rake and polished American 5-spokes. Something like this............

View attachment 5563887

I should have the 5.0 running by next week so now I'm at the point I need to decide.
    Option 1 is cheap and easy. Option 2 is a bit more difficult and waaay more expensive! For either choice I need wheels/tires, paint and interior.
    Option 1 is maybe $700 for wheels/tires and paint (which I would do myself). Interior maybe $5k-$8k.
    Option 2 is $3k for wheels/tires, $3k-$4k for paint (farmed out) and of course that elusive interior for $5k-$8k.
    As of now I've performed a ground up restoration. Front and rear suspension completely done, all metal/bodywork done, 5.0/AOD combo is rebuilt and installed, all new glass and all new chrome.
    For those who haven't seen it, here's the build link (which I need to update)..........
    https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/1954-ford-customline-build-thread.545181/

So, I'd love to hear opinions on which way too go. The cheap way which would cost nothing, still look cool and could be on the road by next summer or, the $$$ way which could probably be done by 2024, cost twice as much as I have into it right now and would be a show stopper.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2022
  2. My opinion is worthless. I’m not a fan of American Racing 5 spokes unless it’s the original style and not chrome.
    But I’d slam it, candy and lace the roof, add chrome steelies, toss some naughide in the interior area.
    Then proceed to drive the crap out of it

3. Or some cool hubcaps and add the gm grill maybe with extra teeth
    E1E839B8-BBDD-4705-9217-DB24B65C5E49.jpeg
    Desoto with extra teeth
    0CF6DAFA-6C38-423F-A2E1-7987AF2C12C8.jpeg
    Or this cleaned up ford grill 4904F7E9-AD69-4925-9441-E107BD1CA01C.jpeg
    Stockish Desoto grill
    999AB730-28E2-457C-A993-422CBF854F6E.jpeg
    or kinda like this stock grill
    37FE6887-E61C-4960-836E-0484189698A4.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

After all the hard (and high quality) work you've done on the car, it deserves a nice paint job. Put some narrow whitewalls with Lancer wheelcovers on it and drive it, doing the interior bits as you can afford. That is one nice ride you're building!

6. You want to spend your time driving or polishing?

7. Never take advice from the village idiot

alanp561, SS327, spudshaft and 5 others like this.
  8. Don’t think you can wrong with any of those four choices…

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neither.

Shiny black paint.
    Stock stance.
    Stock wheels.
    Tall black walls.
    No hubcaps.
    Chrome lug nuts.
    A heavy rumble.

Or whatever you were thinking.
    :)

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Build isn't looking very 60's. Way to modern. Just don't go with big wheels.
    It needs shiny paint .

dana barlow likes this.
  11. evintho

evintho

Looks like everyone wants me to change grills. Not gonna happen! I was able to pick up this recently rechromed stock grill for dirt cheap............

P1010013.JPG

Also, had all chrome replated at a great price.

chrome5.JPG

I just want to go with option 1 or option 2, as stated.

12. That would look great on a cool kustom

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Put the Moon disc`s on it and flame it. Like these. Scan0222.jpg

dana barlow and aussie57wag like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I like the stock grille, you have a nice project in the works, paint it !

oliver westlund, CME1 and olscrounger like this.
  16. jimpopper

jimpopper

Number one paint and number 2 suspension. Drive and perfect it while you save for number 2 paint. If you are good enough to apply a flat black, you can look at some continuing education or working with a known painting hobbyist to up your paint skills and do it yourself. Good luck on your project.

crazycasey likes this.
  17. With all of that nice new bright work, it deserves shiney paint.
    Since you asked I'd lean towards #2, but would opt for full hubcaps rather than mags, saving yourself some dollars in the process.

Jacksmith, CME1 and low down A like this.
  18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Paint it then finish so it pleases your eye. My friend Ed built the green 54 and I always appreciated it.

19. I would say option #1 and enjoy the car a little bit. Save up and do the mags (I hope you’re going 14” or 15”) while the car is still flat black, if you want to, because that will still look cool. And then do the paint even later on, if you find you still want to. Yes it’s way more work that way, but you may find that when you get some seat time, enjoying the car, that your wants and desires for it change completely…

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I deleted pic number 2, large diameter wheels are off topic here....

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Option 2 for me as well, but I'm not in love with the wheels. Something simple like chrome reverse might look great.
    You have way too much time, money and effort in making the body look great to cheap out now and go with the flat black paint. It needs that shiny paint in your choice of color (the two tone green looks great).

Do the basic interior (sound deadener, insolation, carpet, and door weather-stripping improve the ride quality) so you can drive it and enjoy it, then upgrade it as you can (headliner, door panels, and whatever is next).

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Really Mark? Too bad someone pointed out the wheel size, you just couldn't stand it. Other modern wheel pictures slide through here a lot. It was a concept picture. Jees.

56don, MCjim, Speed Gems and 2 others like this.
  23. Neither…

These cars make great mild Kustoms…nose it, deck it, shave it, Aerostar springs and lowering blocks, whitewalls, if your on the cheap some cool hubcaps, if ya got the $$$ some series 64 wheel vintiques, slap some Olds tailights in it, shiny paint…done…

caprockfabshop likes this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

This is mine (a '52, but extremely similar). I think I'd like the green paint and white top, but I'm not personally a fan of polished Americans on this body style. I think because the rear wheel opening is so low, a rake and mags doesn't work for me, but that's just my opinion. I could see that paint job paired with the lake pipes and wheel covers though.

IMG_20141107_110341.jpg

25. tomcat11

tomcat11

Option 2 with proper torque thrusts. I'd like to see this hard top with a brushed stainless steel roof.

54 ford.jpg

26. SPEC

SPEC

It's your car, you only need to please you self!

INVISIBLEKID and AHotRod like this.
  27. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's YOUR car, money and time .... if you want to drive it and have fun, Keep it simple. If you want to try and impress people, spend tons of money and don't be mad when they walk on bye.

Nice shiny paint is fine, but you'll always be a nervous wreck ... do what YOU want to do.

You ask this bunch around here; they will spend your money faster than you could write a check.

Make it a reliable and fun driver, and then drive it... you'll thank me later.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  28. evintho

evintho

Really? I thought the wheels on that car were 15's. My '54 came to me with stock 15's on it. Whatever.

PA080006.JPG

low down A likes this.
  29. How's about doing this? Paint it and finish it to concours standard. Then lock it away in a climate controlled garage for about forty years. Then let somebody 'find' it. The Hamb goes apeshit over those survivor barn/garage finds. You'd be a hero and think what you'd save on maintenance...

alanp561 likes this.