Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Opinions on wheels, tires, and drop..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Ok...I’ve always been a Wheel Vintiques Series 64 kind of guy... but lately Astro Supremes keep coming up. I wanna change up my 61 Chevy this Spring and Moose was kind enough to do these for me.. I’m thinking the budgets calling for thin whites..I was thinking cut the coils, but I’ve discovered some affordable lowered springs..do I go 2” or 3”? car has a BBC in it now and rides great, but it needs an altitude adjustment to go with the nosed, decked, shaved, exterior..I’ve attachedapic as it sits and the pics from Moose..I’ve also added some inspiration pics...I know it’s a Biscayne...not a hardtop...but it’s in the garage, runs great, and sounds like a super stock drag car.. CF1223B1-B5DD-4E81-B9CA-F48FA1942F4E.jpeg D2BBB208-A223-49CB-ABEF-29F9D16400A5.jpeg ED191006-9558-4BF2-ABBF-B4D61BBFCE90.jpeg E92B67E4-7C04-4E06-8667-21AF745D075D.jpeg E100A479-3B2D-42D3-9827-1AA53728D2E3.jpeg F7EF19A0-0C06-4E05-AD01-0AFFC77E0AAB.jpeg 7D2E0DD7-3C45-44B6-8F0C-CDF9ADE62981.jpeg 13D0A827-CFB4-4A19-8827-90D576C85B7B.jpeg A9E50644-3DE2-4219-96ED-1B65B6C2EDF4.jpeg

2. Supremes and bellflower exhaust is the cats ass !!
    That’s got my vote !

Cosmo50 and swade41 like this.
  3. 396/425

396/425

It’s your car..do it your way, but from experience. I wouldn’t go more than 2”. 3” or more and the chance of problems goes up by 100. Again...just my experience. I’ve lowered probably 4-5 cars, and 2” seems to be best unless your redoing the frame and total geometry deal. 3”+ just never turned out well for ride and turning and such for me, but I just changed springs and that, I didn’t cut the whole front end apart and redo the geometry.

loudbang likes this.
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

i think it looks great just the way it is, but i am just an old grouch

deadbeat, scotty t, wvenfield and 4 others like this.

5. I think the best look is the one you have now. It looks like a bad ass sleeper car. If I saw that on the road I would think maybe it has a 409 in it.

6. I like the current look also, but with the door handles back on it.
    I would like to see a photoshop with Cragar SS's and blackwalls.
    Nice car.

7. I agree if the door handles and badging was still on it would be getting the Super Stock look..and yes the 454 in it gets with the program and draws a crowd when it fires up..its just a little confused in its current state..and I’m a mild Kustom guy..I not doing belflowers..I’d like to do sneaker pipes like Marks car.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. A680D015-DA02-414E-A043-5FBD3A2F0232.jpeg EFD94648-F5CB-4EDA-A44E-EB3F1CAF438A.jpeg I have this on the garage to satisfy my Super Stock Jones....just haven’t had a car without whitewalls in a long....long time..

loudbang likes this.
  9. I like black tires and cars above ground.

leon bee, loudbang and rusty valley like this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

No more the 2", 1" would be better. Chrome reverse with blackwalls. Gene

11. loudbang

loudbang

I'm a big fan of good old chrome reversed wheels and blackwalls :)

And NO drop it looks good like it is.

mgtstumpy and leon bee like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Chrome reverse, 3 inch drop, whitewalls (please no radials) and a white interior to make it POP......

13. robracer1

robracer1

I have soft spot in my heart for 61 Biscayne's had one in the 60's, if I ever got another one I would lower it a little and go with 15" and 16" American torque thrust wheels with the rears deeper dish and put the old style two prog knock offs. But this is your car and you need to what you like, I just dreaming about the great 6o's and the way we did our cars.

loveoftiki, loudbang and jnaki like this.
  14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wide whites and chrome reverse and some drop!

15. if it were mine I'd raise the front about 3-4" and the rear about 2-3"...oh yeah and put some grey five spokes on it.

loudbang, Tickety Boo and Texas Webb like this.
  16. I’ve had this one in my files for a bit...but my car already has been nosed, decked, handles shaved, sunken antenna..it’s to far gone to go back to the drag car look..it’s already headed for the mild Kustom route.. to late to go back now! DB38951F-A820-4751-BB2E-70774605102F.jpeg

loudbang, catdad49, swade41 and 2 others like this.
  17. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm liking this version a lot. It's both muscular and custom at the same time...and it's plausible to the Sixties. These cars have big wheel openings and need a lot of wheel/tire to fill them up properly as has been done here. The roll bar in this one is the icing on the cake to "set" the theme. What's even better is that this car has no striping, stupid exhaust pipes, 'flake roof or other trendy garbage to take away from the clean body lines. I like it!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Get rid of the painted wheels and dog dishes fast. Living the life then, without a nostalgia filter, no dude fresh out of high school back in the early sixties would have been caught dead sporting those. It's "traditional" to get those wheels off the car as fast as possible and stack 'em behind the garage. There was a wheel hierarchy back in the times. Chromes were for entry-level dudeness (but they have the "right" look). Alloys were the stuff of dreams and Dude Royalty.

If you are enjoying the ride comfort now, make any drop a small one...... unless you know for a fact you will get more payback standing around looking at it instead of getting your jollies driving it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Chrome steel slots would rock on that car with narrow whites @Phillips on here makes em and sells em too.... you would then have wheels like no one else and it doesn't get much more mid sixties than chrome slots

Shadow Creek, loveoftiki and Sancho like this.
  20. Ok first Marks 61 is killer...timeless...and I’m posting a pic of a couple boxy Ford’s..one Larry Watson did..nothing trendy about whitewalls..skinny or slightly wider..some cool paint work...I’m not going metalflake, endless lines, lowrider....I’ve got my “drag look” car... I want a low rolling cruiser...and I see way to many Americans at my local cruise night...like em..have em up front on my Falcon ...but can’t go wrong with chrome steel wheels...
    Thanks for all the feed back fella’s 36B679E5-EFAE-42EC-AE56-56A2D72BAA3C.jpeg AF1C60A0-E877-4B0D-BE21-8234865C288C.jpeg 6B92D9AD-22C1-444F-8133-682723ED999C.jpeg

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

For some reason I don't care for 5 spokes on it. Any of the more solid wheels.

22. My opinion would be lower, narrower white walls (don't have to be pinners either, just not real wide ww's), and chrome reverse wheels.

As Mark said above, some of @Phillips chrome slots would also be bad ass on there and have the correct look. Especially with a cool set of center spinners.

[​IMG]

23. Sancho and Mark...I like those suggestions

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  24. If you are shooting at custom Astros or Chromies with skinny whites pretty much scream the '60s.

If you are looking for the street brawler thing then Chromies or Americans and black walls or skinny whites up front and black walls in the rear do it for me. Fat rears and stockish up front and down in the snout. Well that was my style anyway. I would usually find fat black walls for whatever I was driving and leave the fronts until I had money.

loudbang likes this.
  25. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

So you want a mildly customized hot rod. Or a hot-rodded mild custom. That red Imp and those 2 Fords look great with bigs and littles and a slight rake. Chrome reverse wheels with medium whites lend a little '60's toughness to me.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Yep....that’s it a Mild Kustom with some attitude...Marks got plenty of carbs on his 61...I’ve got plenty of cubes in mine haha..and yeah I like a little rake...may just cut the coils to see how it looks and rides. And as much as I’d like to spend the money on some bias ply whites my current budget wont allow it. I’ve found some 1.3” for a reasonable price locally

loudbang likes this.
  27. From my experience cutting one coil is good and two is the max if you actually want to drive it.

If you want to see approximate drop slide under here with a tape measure and measure the distance center to center on the coils. You may end up with a little bit more than the tape shows but it will ballpark ya.

loudbang likes this.
  28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Right outta high school a friend had one. We lowered it with stock 4 cyl S10 springs in front and IIRC cut springs in the back (I know...). It sat great and rode nice.