Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on my roof (29 ford)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by model A hooligan, Sep 15, 2016.

1. 66gmc

66gmc

I really like the back roof area. It looks like the type of modification that would have been done back in the day...which I think is the whole purpose of building a traditional styled car. In a row of identical chopped and channeled model A coupes, your car is the one I would stop and look at.

Once the top comes off it will kind of lose its charm and character, and become just anther coupe with the top hacked off.

At the end of the day though its your car, and if leaving it as a coupe is preventing you from enjoying the car, then chop away. You obviously have the skills to make it happen.

clunker and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Thanks guys for the comments. I appreciate the 'hotrod' comments cause it seems no one ever understands it's not a rat rod. I have won a few 'best rat rod' trophies and found it a little odd.i guess I feel like it's never good enough

As for the radiator,it used to be pushed back,there was no room for a fan so it had an electric and overheated. It's only a little pushed forward and I can run a nice 6 blade fan now. the radiator also IS in fact chopped down. Just the shell isn't cause of the price of grill inserts. I am considering an Edsel grill if I can find one. I think that will go with the 1959-early 60's feel of the car

I really like the look of a leaned back roadster window and figured if I like that,can't see much out of this car and most of my filler/problem areas are in the roof.may as well do away with it. I still can't decide. However a hole in the roof with a white canvas material 'snap' on canvas like boats have is in my mind.remove it when I want and put it on when I want.

Also if I did coupster it,i would be making my own removable top for like a Carson style. I guess I really want a leaned back window and the ability to have my roof open from time to time

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Looks Nice ,
    Be proud !! you built it , not too many build there Own,
    In my A ,none chop , I have to bend my head to see light ( I am 6 ft tall )
    Maybe extend drip rail , mock it up with cardboard or clay , step back , take a look !!

4. I'm with everyone else, the car is awesome, your attitude is awesome, people are giving you trophies (who cares about vernacular) because your heart is showing through the build. At a show, I would spend most of my time and storage space for pics at your A, and pretty much glance at all the shiny, perfect cookie cutter rods. Honestly. It's like 300 peacocks lined up on a lawn somewhere, all their magnificent plumage displayed trying to impress themselves and one another, each hardly distinguishable from the rest. The straggly ones with heart trying their best will always get my cudos.

P.S. I have a stock 60 Caddy, bang my knees getting in, feel like I'm sitting on the floor, head basically touching roof liner, legs cramp after 1 hr, at a lot of the higher street lights have to put my chin on the wheel just to see them (as designed by the Marqis de Sade at GM)

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my thought. Personally I really dig your rod as is... But I completely understanding having a body line etc. that likely no one else can see but still have it bother you. I think in this case, before you do any major changes, maybe some small pin stripe or graphic work. You design the graphic around the rear roof line etc. so that when your eyes follow the graphic (which they will) they think they are following the line of the car. Something like this maybe...

Rod1.jpg

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

I think the windshield hinge on a 28-28 A must sit lower than on a 30-31. There is about four inches of dead space above the windshield and my headliner. You can kinda see in his last photo. I will try to post some interior photos tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. banginona40

banginona40

What are the wheel and tire sizes you are running? Looks good!

8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I have seen one coupe on one of the H.A.M.B. avatars that had a cutout on the visor just over the steering area so the guy could see the traffic lights better, OR....
    Jack up the front end like a Gasser! yea make it a gasser nose high!
    LOL
    Seriously if any thing the back of the top looks good, maybe trim back the sun visor along the entire length tilted up slightly maybe 30-31 A visors are an easier choice and the laid back seat IF the package shelf can be removed you could gain 5-6" inches..for the seat to move back

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

[​IMG] Hard to see because of the dark photo. See the dead space above the windshield? It may do more good to put portholes in the header panel, than in the visor.

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

No problem seeing out of this one!
    DSCN2982.JPG

11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Put a 3-inch wide plexi window in the header piece. Look thru it and the holes in the visor to see the lights.

Edit: like Randman said, I was thinking of a strip but portholes would work too.

12. I realize this is an old post. I think to alter a neat hot rod, you spend to much time in traffic

13. Toqwik

Toqwik

I feel your pain. I bought a sport coupe with a weird bunch of roof parts. I LOVE the look of a chopped coupe, but I'm 6'5" and new I would not enjoy riding in it and neither would my significant other. I wacked the roof off and enjoyed the crap out of that car. The most fun I have ever had in a car I built. Just keep what you cut off if you ever want to go back.

14. Toqwik

Toqwik

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That flame graphic idea really helps. If you had some more body line going on in there id really dig it, without that body line, and the thick body line on the door it just looks odd.