Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on my roof (29 ford)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by model A hooligan, Sep 15, 2016.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd leave the 32 windshield idea to the 32 bodies.. The visor on model A's is one of their coolest features...

2. .............True words, Milo. When people start removing the visor, putting '32 windshields in and flush fitting the doors they take away all of the charm that makes 'em a Model A.

3. Hey kid,
    Before I read everything else you have posted let me say this, I have always liked the little A bone, it is just easy on the eyes. You got it in spades young man. :cool:

4. It wouldn't take too much at all to fix the bobble in the body line.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

It would take more to get near the black example than smoothing what you have but I still think way less than removing the roof and especially if tossing what you've already done is counted.

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Hombre

Hombre

Hell man I wouldn't do a damn thing to it, but drive the wheels off of it. The imperfections in the back of the top are one of the things I appreciate the most, it's not perfect that "MAKES" it cool. My car is chopped a lot and seeing stop lights is a problem, but its a Hot Rod some things you just have to live with--or take up golf maybe. You are wrong about one thing though, the Prism's do work and work pretty well, there not perfect but if it works on my car it will work on yours.

lothiandon1940 and upspirate like this.
  6. I'm lucky I'm only 5'7, and there's not one traffic light in my small town, but I do have a small vision issue with my back window on my avatar.
    After six years deriving it, maybe you just need to change something.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

8. what a cool little hot rod! don't cut the roof off, maybe cut the top out, like the original, and leave it open.
    Bondo, it is not just for breakfast any more.......

9. F&J

F&J

Ted, you must have missed his many threads over the years. I do recall very well, when he was asking which junkyard donor car was "best" of the ones he had found for the roof filler he wanted.

be a shame to now cut it out.

I think it was a Maverick roof?

10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Dude, you built it from scrap, and it looks cool. Now you just gotta make it so that you like driving it. If you can build it, you can fix it too.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. i did miss it, is there a link? i will search his profile page.
    i just thought cutting it out might be better than cutting it off, maybe make it removable?
    i like it the way it is, maybe because, as noted, it has a chevy look.;):)

12. F&J

F&J

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...el-roofs-what-fits.543346/page-2#post-6011468

Post 56 I think, is when he chose the donor

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If you could see through the holes in your visor it might be cool (in more ways than one) to make a flap that opens above your windshield and folds back into the cabin to let you see better and to let air in like the old pop up cowl vents or a sun or moon roof would......just a out there thought.....that may or may not be better than the periscope idea:D or you could use a backup camera, on the front,hidden behind the visor with your screen above the windshield where you would normally be looking for the traffic light anyway???....or....:rolleyes:
    ....Yeah it could be easier to just make your windshield taller:)

14. I don't know how you remember but yeah, and lately I have thought about cutting the top out and having a white canvas top made that has boat style snaps. I still did need to fill the roof as I had no material at all in it,and I needed something. Maybe keep the section of metal cut out to be removable? I sorta like the idea of it open but don't want to really get sunburned either I guess

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. Most of that is sorta body filler. It tappers up a bit,I used filler to just make it one smooth bump

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

That means you're doing the right thing! You're a Hooligan, right? It LOOKS like a HOT ROD.
    The street rod guys hate you because nobody checks out their shiny ride with the skull graphics, and are more interested in YOUR car because it's not boring . I go to some of the big shows around here , and you see rows of the same old stuff ( steel AND plastic (yuck), painted different colors, with signs all over them telling you to stay back 10 feet. You gotta be shittin' me! Buff this, Biff!

Don't do anything ; think long and hard before you make any drastic changes. There's a lot of simple changes you can make without cutting the body up (again)

Attached Files:

clunker, Hombre, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  17. F&J

F&J

I remember cars on here that get built just like the old days, but I don't recall many of the Y2K builds.
    Your car is built by hand, and with a lot of "donor car pieces", and those builds are more interesting to "me", so that's how I recall your many threads.

You are a rare breed, so be proud of your car

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  18. When you mentioned "the roll to the back window" I thought that's the areas you were talking about.

19. banginona40

banginona40

I am more of a "if it sits right it is right" kind of guy, and you have it looking pretty good! If you don't like it and want a roadster buy a roadster body and put it your chassis. You could spend all kinds of time on cutting it up and may never be happy or make the car more valuable. Or maybe just build a roadster! A 5 1/2" chop and a 2 1/2" channel is not a combination for good vision anyway. Of course on the other hand it is your car and it appears you have the talent to do whatever you like.

20. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Car looks great ,leave the top on. My old 30 coupe, Going to build another one. 30 coupe 001.jpg

kidcampbell71 and mike bowling like this.
  21. If YOU want a roadster then cut it. Personally though I think it looks good and would leave it as is. Its one of those things that you can always cut it off but it's hard to "grow" back.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Thus the reason I switched to Tudor's , I actually fit in them and am comfortable. When I was young I did the cool coupe thing myself and have the bad back to prove it. Heavy chop , channeled and over six feet tall just didn't add up for me. Good luck with whatever you do.

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

No, if you want a roadster, buy a friggin' roadster!! Leave that coupe alone!!
    Cut up a good coupe and you've got a cut up coupe.

This is OK to cut up!! ( it turned into the coupe in my avatar)
    DSCN1592.JPG

24. Mo rust

Mo rust

In the movie "American Graffiti", John Milner always looked stooped over in the deuce coupe. He wasn't trying to look cool. Paul Le Matt couldn't see the traffic signals either.

25. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey!...this car is the epitome of what hot rodding is all about. You take what you have, make what you can at the best of your abilities and pocketbook and call it yours. There is nothing I would change on this car. Also, I have trouble seeing some lights with my sedan and its not chopped at all. Watching the traffic lights for the opposite direction is the way to go here...........Or....you can do like an old buddy of mine used to do.........pay no attention to the lights and just yell out the window "YOUR ALL FIRST, RIGHT AFTER ME!" Worked great for him until his honeymoon in Hawaii...they wouldn't let him come back to the states until he settled up with everyone concerned for crashing his rental car at a 4 way stop.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    clunker likes this.
  26. my car, 33 chevy, uncut, i can't see lights. i look for the reflexion in the hood or hood ornament.

27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

[X] Started as a bunch of castaway parts.
    [X] Built it yourself with your own tools, money, and skill.
    [X] Looks bitchin.
    [X] Scares ol ladies.

Son, I think you got yourself a HOT ROD there. The roof looks great to me. I sure as hell wouldn't cut it back up.

clunker likes this.
  28. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I like the looks of it. I don't know how you can ever see the lights thru the visor holes, unless they're almost directly above you. Most here in Calif. are all the way on the other side of the intersection. I made my own windshield frame and I guess it goes a little higher up than the stock one -- so you see more visor. But you get used to it.

I would do something about the side body moldings. It now looks like the door is off a different car. Find a way to transition the moldings.

And as my personal opinion, an early car always looks better to me if the radiator is on top of or behind the front axle. Sticking one out in front makes it look like you couldn't afford to cut the radiator down.