Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on my roof (29 ford)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by model A hooligan, Sep 15, 2016.

1. I don't know what your chop is but my avatar is 5" and I can see the traffic lights fine, I drive it a lot, don't cut the top off, just leave it alone, looks good! ATTACH=full]3326102[/ATTACH]
    IMG_1138.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. 53 ford

53 ford

You need to move over here in Hogskin county. Only one traffic light in the county, and whoever is behind you will let you know when it's green if you linger too long. Harley

Jet96, F&J, Atwater Mike and 3 others like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I like the roof shape, it's more smoothed off than a stock one, but that really fits with the 60's theme the car has. Lots of coupe bodies were customized in that time period, probably much more then than they are now.

As for visibility, I think a windshield that was full(est possible) height with the hinge at the very top underneath that visor would really help. A lot of Model T chops retain the full height windshield and take all the roof height out of the top area above the windshield. You'll be looking through the visor holes for some stuff but it would still help.

Also, there were a few rods running around in the period of your car that had big tinted plexi roof inserts in them. Might bake you out on hot sunny days, but you'd see the stoplights better, and a big gold roof window would be a stand-out feature if it was done right.

I have no issue with coupesters when they're done right, a '29 can be done and look great but the bumpout at the door pillars, the length of the doors, the top of the cowl and the depth of the cockpit all need to be addressed, even if it's not built to stock roadster dimensions. I agree with what's been said, if you really want an open car, you'd be better off to start with another body, build it to suit you (whether that's fixing an original roadster or reworking another coupe body into a coupester), then swapping out.

model A hooligan likes this.
  4. butch

butch
    from Michigan

I think you're a little hard on yourself at top looks pretty good Be nice to start with another body start cutting that one all up

5. glrbird

glrbird

When the car behind you starts honking, the light is green.

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

An hour in my A pickup and I'm ready to stop and stretch the legs too. The chop is about 4". It only holds 10 gals, but it still has more gas capacity than I have stamina to drive it. I think it's the nature of the beast.

If I want long distance comfort I'll take the DD, it will go 400+ miles between fill ups.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Look at the Rollin' Bones' cars, there is a much-modified 'A' Coupe with a later top and windshield grafted on...

One of our own HAMBers has a Model A Coupe he trimmed the visor and 'A' pillars off of, grafting a windshield, windshield header, and 'A' pillars on from a '32 sedan! Absolutely bitchin'!

But as George and Jason said... Sell that body and buy a Coupe or roadster body.
    That's the best choice.

8. ...make the visor so it tilts up in the front and pivots at the top of the front roof, with an electric motor,...up, down, up down...no, well just a thot, I like the car as is., please don;t cut the top off.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Top looks good, car looks great.. I like the color too...

10. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

My '30 coupe has a 3" chop, and if I an the first guy at the light, I can't see it. I just cock my head to the side to see out and deal with it... I also keep an eye on the signal for the other direction if I can see it, that way I can anticipate my light changing to green As far as you car goes, I think it looks great, and would not change it. I Think that it has a unique look, and I would not hesitate to brag that I built it out of parts, most can not do that well at body work.

lothiandon1940 and kiwijeff like this.
  11. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

IMG_0458.JPG I am going to try to post a picture of my coupe

12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I'll never own anything that looks that good!

13. Don't matter what you decide, your already winning.
    That's a great looking Hot Rod, and only some weirdo purist would have an issue with it.
    The fact that you did the work yourself, makes it even cooler.

14. desotot

desotot

It sure didn't hurt my eyes to look at those pics of your car. I would have a hard time coupsterizing it.

Max Gearhead and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. 55chevr

55chevr

I can't see a traffic light from my 55 Chevy. Stock height. I doubt anyone can see traffic lights from even stock Model A. Back in the day the lights were on pedestals on the corners. Now they are suspended from cable in the middle of the intersection.

16. This is actually true. If I'm first or even second in line I can't see the light in my stock A pickup.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. It's a hot rod for cryin' out loud. You got to learn to live with the inconveniences and just enjoy drivin' the heck out of it.:D;)

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

There's lots of things you can " adjust" to gain a better view- -seat base, front tire diameter, rear tire diameter, front spring eye if it's reversed, amount of axle drop (if it is a dropped axle, can't tell). I've been going through the same thing with a car I built unchopped, sold, and bought back chopped 4".
    I could hardly drive it especially on the highway when jackasses doing 85 mph come up behind you and fly by.
    It's still not perfect but a lot better.
    Your car looks fine- work with it.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Hahaha thanks for the props I dig the comment

20. Man,you guys.. I can't respond to them all but you guys are cool over here. I've never had so many positive comments on my roof or car and I've drove it now for over 6 years.

Here are some things I'd like to hit on- my seat is very very tilted now and on the floor,I cannot see through the visor. I can't even see the visit at all when I'm inside.as far as height it's chopped 5 1/2 channeled 2 1/2,flat front cross member,dropped axle,reverse eye. It's as low as I can go with the traditional Spring over axle. I love its stance though.

You guys telling me these positive comments really changes my feel on things. To me,the body was just a lot of time,I don't mind cutting things though.im still surprised at how well you guys like it. This was just a pile of junk panels I got when I was about 21,I desperately wanted a hotrod,I made the best I could,and 2 years ago I rebuilt it to what it is now

Thank you guys. Seriously I feel better knowing even real hotrodders think my car is cool. Most of the local shows I don't get much love since it's not super shiny with Boyd wheels haha

21. I do want to add a 32 style front window section but I don't know how to even start to find the parts.

22. Hidden disc brakes. Had drums but they was so out of balance it was cheaper to go this route. Just something I wanted to show you guys( shock mounts will be changed soon)

Attached Files:

23. Here's the pic of how I got it. It was tied together with rope. Cut off at the sub frame,rear half was held up with a block of wood,the roof sections was just junk tin sitting on the body.i didn't use much of anything from the roof. It's mostly all hand made from hammered sheet metal and a backwards Maverick roof. Some may recognize it. It was on here quite a few years ago up for sell I think

Anyone got a window frame for sell? Haha I think I'll cut the window header and get a bigger window

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. 55chevr

55chevr

If you a 32 windshield look, the pickup windshield/pillars is a viable option. Plus somewhat available.

25. I wouldn't know where to find one. Or afford it! Haha

26. My window is about the size of a dollar bill. A hair under actually. The rear window is a section out of s 40's ford truck,with one inch chopped above it,so the rear window is only chopped about 4 1/2 as opposed to the rest being 5 1/2

27. upspirate

upspirate

My truck is stock height and channeled the height of the frame.Hard to see the lights , but I use a halfway decent repro prism and can make out the colors of the lights.I also have the advantage of a shiny hood that reflects the traffic lights.
    If your legs are cramped and you cut the top off, your legs will still be cramped.
    I'd leave it!

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That's a pretty good brake cover up even at a long glance! Good call.

Anyhow 32 stuff is a little spendy but you can use the same area out of a mid to late 39's pickup as well. I'm pretty sure @KevinLee used a 37 ish pickup windshield header on his mega chopped coupe.

Wouldn't matter if it was a half ton of a four ton truck. Keep your eyes open, your no stranger to cutting stuff up so find something that looks pretty close that you can afford and go for it. Something will pop up just drive it until then.

littoe outside of the box thinking but after seeing many people suction cup their phone to the windshield for GPS I'm curious if you turned the camera on a the stop light if it would see the light because it's a couple feet closer to the front of the car than you?

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

30. I can see pictures today!! Good looking car!

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and Tim like this.