Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on my roof (29 ford)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by model A hooligan, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Okay so I may catch some heat on this but keep in mind,this car was built out of a trashed body a couple of panels and a lot of hard work. I also do not wish to ever sell and I will be keeping it.

My 29 is a 'special' you all know that,that's a cross between a sport coupe,and a regular coupe. This thing had virtually no roof parts at all and I made most of the roof to the best of my ability. But I'm coming to a paint here,maybe I'll ruin it,or maybe it would look good,but really, how would you guys feel on it being a coupster? The reason being is, the rear roof section has never looked right,it's roll to the back window isn't right,I can't see traffic lights,I never drive in the rain,I'm in California,and it's already made from pieces so really what would I be hurting? I understand it has longer doors,cowl stanctions are wider, all that.

Was thinking of trying to go with roadster window or something like that. I've seen some nice ones done. Or should I deal with it and leave it? I would make a removable top for it if I was to coupster it

Don't flame me too bad here guys,I'm just Thinking about it,

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

It is what it is, and it doesn't look bad. Leave it as is and buy one of those traffic light prisms.

3. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I think that the whole car looks great the way it is.......and I really like that color of gold that's on the car..my two cents.

poboyross, slv63 and model A hooligan like this.
  4. The traffic light prism does not work. Already tried it. Thanks guys for the props on the looks though, and you are right 'it is what it is'

It's just an idea going in my head. I may cut into the window header and put in a bigger front window.

It will be on some halibrands soon also

5. nice looking car, That said and you want a roadster go for it. There is a thread somewhere that is all about coupsters, some look good. And don't forget many were made back in the day so cut the top off if you want.

model A hooligan and kiwijeff like this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Looks very nice to me as is,and a good job over all. I like roadsters an coupes. U ask,roll of rear roof seems OK to me. So idas would be to add view,under viser I see a stock type windshield header,it could of been made smaller hight wise then it is vs stock size,this would of let you have more hight in the glass in windshield giving better site at the lights. Add a body bead/belt around rear of cab=thats only thing seems missing in making it,but thats not even something ask or really needed. Moving headlights up about 2in. higher would add to nite lighting of road better,but it may as is work for were your at now?
    Anyway its a cool rod as is ! I beleve other then driver site,the other stuff really just helps to make it one of a kind vs cookie cutter.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

unique ride - as a driver looks good as is. so, comfortable to get/in out? comfortable for leg/head room?
    eliminate/shorten visor and different windshield definitely need to happen. if stay as is non-traditional camera set into visor with viewing screen that can easily be covered when parked possible?

F&J likes this.
  8. Man,I was expecting to really get some negative comments,but you guys are cool. I agree with all of you fellas.

Surprisingly enough he headlights seem to be pretty alright at night. I have no complaints in them. My seat is low. Only way to go lower is bomber seats,the window header may be what I do if I keep a roof on it. I agree some coupsters are ugly and others are done well. I'm not sure what sucks more a fake coupe or a fake roadster Haha. I do want a belt line also I just don't know how to make it. From straight behind my car looks sorta like a truck cab is why I'm not fond of the roof. But I built it the best I could. I have had no metal classes or teaching so it doesn't look exactly right.

I appreciate the 'adds to the uniqueness' comment as well

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I really like that body style.
    I wouldn't change a thing.
    That's a looker!

10. It's look good, I would keep it with the roof.

model A hooligan likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's your car, do what you want with it, but I like it as is. I see lot's of guys driving coupes with a lot harder chop than that. You mean you can't see the stop lights thru them holes you got cut in the visor? ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. It's somewhat comfortable. A hour long drive tho and I'm ready to stop. I'm sorta on the long leg side and my firewall is pulled back so it's a bit small for me but,I understand there's just not much room and something has to go somewhere. Only real complaint getting in is the bear claw pin stabs my kidney if I don't watch. That's why I was considering suicide doors,but I really don't know about that. It's also missing the middle door hinges. So if it when coupster I'd probably do suicide doors.

Can't do a camera,that's just way too advanced. It's on the early 60's traditional side right now.with a 53 ford dash that I don't want to add a screen or anything in. But I get your idea

13. Unfortunately no! I can't see much in front of me. It's channeled a bit also. It's chopped 5 1/2

I can see if I hunch over,but that's not comfortable for me at all

14. I think it looks pretty slick myself. If you are just wanting a roadster or a better coupe, take the whole body off the frame and sell it. then buy a coupe with a roof or a roadster body. That way you'll have what you want and someone else will get to enjoy all the work you put in to that top. If it was mine i'd just leave it the way it is and run it! looks pretty killer to me.

15. The only change I would make is to put my name on the title.:)

clunker, Ron Brown, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I dig it man, I'd keep the roof.

As far as comfort and being able to see you could tilt your seat back bringing your but down and your knees up. Economics make a huge difference in a small car.

As far as being able to see Inwould cut the front pillar/windshield/header/visor area out and swap in a 32 style set up. Bigger windshield and no visor in the way. I say 32 "style" because I've seen people use all sorts of things to create that look if you don't find any 32 parts

17. I don't think it looks too far off. It sort of reminds me of a Chevy roof. I see nothing wrong with keeping it the way it is, I wouldn't coupster it, if you are having trouble seeing out of it, just raise the roof a little. Its over chopped if you can't see out of it.

18. adam401

adam401

Oh man definitely keep the roof. As a guy who built a coupster I can say that they're kinda lame. I'd never do it again. Ever.

Ever.

Never ever.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say cut the top, fix the missing body line, leave the doors alone and make it a sport coupster

20. F&J

F&J

I would not make the windshield taller. Don't take the roof off

Wait for some more ideas from the thinkers on here, and they may find an idea to see the traffic lights.

Most people don't know what your area has for traffic lights? on the side on a pole, or overhead in center of road?

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I've had 2 non-chopped and non channeled 28-29's and can't drive them longer than an hour before needing to take stretch. It's just the nature of having a small cockpit and a choppy short wheelbase. If I wanted a long distance cruizer I'd jump into a 50's or 60's car.

I like your coupe as it is. Guys with Model A's know it started out as a special coupe and can appreciate what it took to get it looking as good as it does. I personally would rather see one with what you have done than one turned into a coupester. Those seldom look right. But in the end, it's your car so you need to do whatever it is that will make you enjoy it.

kiwijeff, lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  22. What Corn Fed said.

23. I wouldn't dick with the roof or the windshield. I think I'd buy one of those back-up cameras at the local junk yard and hide the camera some place...maybe under the visor so it points up at the signal lights. Maybe hide the screen on the floor hump or some place where I could cover it when not in use.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Like these?
    image.jpeg

Jet96, model A hooligan and kiwijeff like this.
  25. I am with @alchemy on this one, it is a good looking coupe. granted I am not up close and personal with it but the pics are good.

I got nothing against coupsters either. if you built that roof yourself I don't doubt that you have the skills to make the coupster look good. Either way you have a one of a kind, right?

26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

All that work.. You would be better off selling the body and buying a new brookville body

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Gotcha, yup it's got em

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you really want a roadster, I agree with this. You would get a decent buck for that body.