Register now to get rid of these ads!

opinions on indoor storage in bad weather - car cover or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Mar 9, 2012.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

*** i did search, but all threads seem to be asking for companies, im asking opinions on pros and cons and possible damage from cover etc***

do you guys believe in car covers for indoors only storage?

i have a garage that seems dusty somehow, more than normal .. i did put something over the rafters to block out any dust that may have been coming from above, but still some comes through ..

im in milwaukee, WI ... so this needs to be able to sit there all winter without my worrying about added paint damage from the cover, and also be used between driving in the summer although likely i will be driving it every weekend and will not use the cover too much ..

i want to discuss the possiblity of added damage .. indoor covers, etc .. i know most on here like california covers ... but who uses them in bad weather for winter storage? my garage is mostly dry but not entirely as i need to go in for snowblower etc in winter .. its a small 1.5car garage and with a 60s impala in there little room is left ..

thanks guys/gals ... hopefully this turns up some discussions as opposed to just "buy a california cover" lol .. 95% of the replies on this board are from people in CA and western warm states that store outside .. that doesnt help me much

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

I cover my 50 in the winter here in Michigan with one of the multi layer covers. Seems to work well. I also cover the garage floor under the car with a large sheet of visquene (plastic) to keep dampness from coming up through the floor. I originally had one of these cheap car covers (kind of reminded me of a parachute material) and it seemed to collect condensation under it when the temperature changed. Kind of like a glass sweating with ice in it on a hot day. My advice, get a good cover that breathes and cover the garage floor. Works good for me.

3. As long as the cover is breathable it is okay to leave it on all winter. But, definitely do not cover it with plastic, that is an ugly way to ruin the paint! A friends car had to be repainted after being covered in the winter with thin plastic.

I have a cover but haven't used it. The main problem, for me is the car should be washed before putting the cover on, and I never feel like washing it just to put it away.

~Alden

4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

thanks so far .. and no fear it would be a nice cover .. i was looking at the ultraweave or dust top from CCC ... dust stop seemed best for the $$ considering it will never be used out doors ..

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting thread. I have noticed problems with leaving a cover on in a couple of situations.

If you happen to be in an old shop with an old gravel floor the combo of moisture and other chemicals getting up into the car are really hard on it, and the cover will just make it worse.

I second the opinion of plastic on the floor, whether the floor is gravel or concrete. I think that may make a pretty big difference.

I also like to keep the temperature swings to a minimum thought it might not be possible for you. I have a small heater that maintains a solid 50-70F all winter long depending on how bad it is outside. Temperature shift can be hard on the body work and can also create unnecessary moisture issues.

Good luck!

6. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

When I lived in the mid-west long ago, I used CCC made of Noah material. Lightweight, breatheable, Noah is a little spendy but it worked well for me.

7. I store mine (indoors) approx 6 months a year. Dust is an issue. I cover it with old, soft blankets. $2 - $4 a piece from the thrift store.

8. I live in a valley on a riverfront property and because we are in low place, we has temp swings from -5 c (23 f ) to 40c (104 f ) in a day! It appears that heavy non breathable covers will make the cars sweat. Well they do around here anyway.These cars would have been minters except for the spotty rust marks in the paint caused by this.

The other issue is dust, and trying not to get the covers to dusty and turning them into scratchy "sand paper " like covers. Not good for the paint finish.

I have found carpet on concrete is good way to stop the same sweat issue underneath the car as well. I have heard that the condensation that gathers under a car that is stored on concrete seems to draw salts up out of the concrete. I dont know if it is true, but it sounds bad news for the floor pans. I remember reading a story about this issue in a mag years ago even saying that dirt floors are better?? Dont know about that though. Thoughts?

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Never cover anything with plastic, it will cause rust like you won't believe.

I use a cheap cloth cover or cloth sheets. Wipe off dust with a duster (Kozak, California or Australia dust mop) before putting on the cover. If the car is dirty you can wash it in the garage using a spray bottle of water with a drop of car wash soap to wet down one panel at a time. Then wipe off dirt with a wet towel. Keep a pail of water handy to rinse out the towel or use several towels.

If there is danger of roof leaks you might want to invest in a better cover. All I use is a $25 car show cheapy made of brown cloth.It keeps the car "fresh" all winter.

One other thing. Make sure there is no dog food or garbage in the garage. Any food source will attract rodents, they will run around under the cover, scratch hell out of your paint, build nests in the car, eat the wiring and play hell generally.

10. customrod48

customrod48

I live in central Wis. have stored cars for years and have used car covers and/or sheets...anything soft and breathable. As for putting plastic under the car, if its gravel, sand or any other surface that lets moisture evaporate up through the ground, definatley put plastic down. I have not had problems on concrete unless there is alot of moisture under the concrete. If you cover concrete with plastic, you generally trap moisture under the plastic, it's best to leave it uncovered so it can breathe and dry out. Sand and gravel will hold moisture longer and you will have unwanted fuzzy red stuff under your car.......it's best if you cn let air move under the car with a fan or narual breeze if possible.... dehumidifier would be best
    FWIW

11. CruZer

CruZer

I use a car cover all winter here in New England to cover my roadster in the garage. I always have a dust problem even with a new well sealed garage.Dust is just going to get in.
    I clean the car ;cover it ;put it on dollies so I can move it out of the way and in the spring uncover it and clean the dust off right away.

I think covering it helps to keep the moisture off of it when spring arrives,too.

I don't cover it in the summer,I drive it every chance I get and I worry about scratching the surface putting the cover on and off.

12. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

still pondering this ... seems to be reasons to go both ways as i thought ...

i do worry about "rub" spots on the car, and trpaping stuff under the cover .. hmmm

wish i could afford a bubble lol.. then again that might not be a good thing either

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

The Noah is an excellent in door, out door car cover starting at $179. price depends on the the car.

Next step up would be Superrweave an excellent indoor, outdoor door or out doorting $249.

These two covers will not damage your cars paint and they repel dust and moisture.

California Car Cover Company
    www.calcarcover.com
    800 423-5525

14. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

im still 50/50 ... i appreciate all the talk

last thing i wanna do is injure this paint job

15. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

any other opinions?

16. Willy301

Willy301

I would first like to say X2 on the dehumidifier. It has a small fan in it to move the air over the condenser to remove the moisture. That little bit of air movement is enough if the garage stays closed all winter. Second, the car cover will only put scratches on the car if it has dust or grit between it and the car. My advice is to store the car cover in a plastic tote, and clean it, per mfg instructions just before putting it on the car. I also go along with washing the car, but I recommend a true wash and dry, rather than the squirt bottle method. My reasoning, the first spray off with the pressure of the garden hose or pressure washer blasts a lot of grit off the car and prevents it from getting caught in whatever cloth you are wiping the car with. Second, the final spray off makes certain that there are no chemicals from the soap left on the car. I would even recommend waxing the car and letting it completely dry outside. No sense in adding moisture to the garage initially. Finally, if there is no moisture barrier between your concrete and the substrate, then visquene or carpet on top of the concrete is a good measure. Concrete floors with no vapor barrier will sweat, it is a fact of life, and you don't need that moisture under your car. Finally, if you are still concerned with scratches, place a couple bed sheets on the horizontal surfaces of the car, and let them hang over the edges and corners, as that is where abrasion is most likely, and then put the cover over that...Sounds like you are already getting a quality cover, so I won't hit on that...its a good plan.

17. fatkoop

fatkoop

I have used quality covers for years on all my rides but I have discovered that mice like dark, inclosed spaces. Not a good combination. With the covers on all winter, I have a constant mice problem. If I keep the cars in the garage with the covers off and the windows open in the cars, no mice issues. Yea, you have to clean the car up from top to bottom after a winters nap, but it's still better than dealing with rodents.

18. Covers and cement floors do not mix, If you are going to cover it take flathead4d's advice and put something underneath the car.

19. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

seems like i may be best off uncovered ... i have a concrete floor with minor cracks and a garage that isnt that well sealed up so draft and possible moisture are unavoidable ...

i have no problem fuly detailing the car in spring, it will be getting it every week in the warm months anyways :)

thanks fellas ..

20. 73RR

73RR

We don't get alot of moisture here in the high desert but there is always some... I keep my wife's Jaguar covered through the winter months, 4-5 months or so, with a Dust Stop from CCC. The garage floor is concrete, no additional floor covers. I have been storing the car like this since it was new in 2004 and there is no hint of any paint damage. My biggest challenge is finding a commercial washer big enough to clean the cover.