Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods opinions on dropped steering arms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnc451, Jun 3, 2016.

1. johnc451

johnc451

So I just installed a dropped 32 axle in my roadster---40 Ford spindles-- and as expected had interference with axle and steering arms due to the drop. I read as many suggestions as to how to drop the arms as I could find. I dropped them today---pretty straight forward and would just like to draw on the group's expertise . Straight ahead the backing plates are +/- 12' from the frame horns. In full lock, it goes to 15 1/4 on the right and 15 1/2 on the left. I can do some more heating and bending to even it up but with wheels on, it looks like enough turn to handle most driving situations. But I recall a friend with a T bucket who needed a parking lot to make a U-turn and do not want to wind up with that problem. Ultimately I will install a stop to prevent spindle /axle contact as well as tires rubbing on the wishbones. Enough--keep bending???? Thanks to all----John

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

Install the axle spindle stop and tires first. Then you can tell if you need more bend. Without them you are bending blind.

302GMC likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Check the angle on the steering arms, as well as the drop.

[​IMG]

Dean Lowe and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

The stock Ford spindle stops should be the deciding factor to see if you have enough clearance.

5. johnc451

johnc451

Yes---installed them this morning and found the arms hit the axle with 1/8" clearance to the stop on one side and 1/16 on the other. Easy to remedy. Thanks to all who posted and PMed me on this topic---John