Register now to get rid of these ads!

opinions on 15" coys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Camino Kid, Dec 5, 2012.

1. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Anybody running the new 15' COYS? Im trying to figure out what would look good on my 60 El Camino. Pros and cons? Got any pics? I like the fact that so many offsets are available and they fit my budget.

2. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It's O-dark-30 here. What's a COY? Gary

4. captmullette

captmullette

nice looking wheel

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Personal opinion here... Good company to deal with and some of the nicest to do business with out there these days. That wheel though, if your looking for a torque thrust type looks a bit "synthetic" to my eye. I don't know how to discibe it any other way. I think if it was my car I would spend a bit more and go with a real set of American staight spokes instead.

6. I have a set of Coys on an off-topic car. I love 'em and found them to be great to deal with. But if the car is a period car, I'd go with a period wheel. American,
    ET, and Cragar are three good options.

7. Give Jamie a call direct
    Great guy 2 deal with.

8. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

They look way too modern for a traditional build. They might look better if they werent polished, the Polished finish always ruined torque thrust type wheels for me. They just look like cheap boat trailer wheels when they are shiny.

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

To me they look very current and modern, which means in 10 years they will look very dated. But if you like them and want a more modern look then go for it - it's your car!

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

What's the rest of your car look like? They would look good on a more modern styled car...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edited after I saw the wheels he was actually asking ab out

Usaually when we read COY wheels we think those 22/24 and bigger things that look so damned ugly.
    Not the 15 inchers in this link. http://www.coyswheel.com/coys-c5-1415.html

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

13. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Those ETs look great! but I need something chrome thats easier to take care of with the humidity here. They will be going on a 60 El Camino, shaved hood and tailgate, lowered, mostly stock.

14. dad-bud

dad-bud

How about some stock rims with wide whitewalls and caps.
    They look pretty damn good and are a bit more HAMB friendly.
    Take the Coys and show them off to another forum who likes that kinda thing.

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I think they'll look fine on your EC - even though they aren't really HAMB-friendly. Most of us old curmudgeons really don't like to see anything mounted up, bolted or welded on, attached, or screwed to the cars on here that wasn't available during the hallowed days that stretch between the first launch of a vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine and the last car or truck off of the production lines in 1964. That being said, we are champions of individuality, and you're welcome to do whatever you like as long as you can endure a little healthy negativity.

16. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you like them who cares what other people think
    it is nice to get opinions but that opens up to many doors
    if you have a budget work within the budget
    you can always change them when the mad money losens up
    good luck

17. richie rebel

richie rebel

chrome wheel series 64

18. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

I asked for opionions......and was sure Id get all kinds. Im just looking for options that are worthy of this truck, I have considered just running the stock wheels with narrow wws, www seem like they would be a lot of work when things get wet here, I will be driving this regularly.

19. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Thanks Guys, Jeff K. thats along the lines of what I was thinkin, you cant go wrong with TT's, but taking care of a nice set would be a challenge with all the humidity here.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wouldn't have got everyone so shook up if you had posted the photos of the 15 inch wheels http://www.coyswheel.com/coys-c5-1415.html To most of us a COY wheel is one of those big ugly 24 inch wheels I doubt that most of the others didn't know that Coy made 15's nor that they actually look pretty good.

21. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Yeah sorry, Im guess sometimes Im not too swift at posting stuff clearly, Im still kinda curious about the 15" coys though, I havent been able to find any pics with them on a a car yet. Even though thier not traditional at least thier 15's and 5 spokes.

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I think the OE type chrome wheels with skinny whites would look great, too!

23. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

My idea was to build it looking like maybe somebody fixed it up in the early 60's. Lowered, mild custom.

24. Muttley

Muttley

25. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Ya Know, sometimes over here, thats not too far off... some of the locals are pretty set in thier ways.

26. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

That was good, thanks. I needed that.

27. uncle buck

uncle buck

kind of like here on the H.A.M.B. ;)

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I see you mention up keep on tires and wheels as part of your purchasing factors. Take a look around at all the suv's with white letter tires and how often do you think those get washed? A full fat white may be more work but I ran thin whites for years are rarely did anything to them and they were always presentable.

I live in a place that will see over 100% humidity for months with zero rain happening in those same months and haven't ever seen it effect the up keep of polished aluminum wheels.

I don't know if youve had bad experances or just hearing things from people but I'd just bolt on what you think is going to work the best and roll with it. The only thing I can think of causing you more time to clean them is if you run a wire spoke wheel and drive mid roads all the time.

Black, white, chrome, aluminum they all take the same 5 minutes to hose off ;)

29. sololobo

sololobo

JeffK says it all, no race car wheels please. Malcolm is on some kind of drugs suggesting E.T's, probably a jag on cough syrup!! ~sololobo~