Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions 64 Galaxie wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXracer64, Nov 6, 2012.

1. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Opinions wanted. I have this 64 galaxie example below, and looking for a more traditional look as it would have in 1964-65. Im stuck between chrome steels or painted steels (same as body) 15x5 front 15x7 rears. I plan to use Coker L78's on the back and like a firestone 775-15 on the front. I think the wheels on the car now look great , but my taste has changed, what do you guys think? BTW, no center caps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. chrome reverse wheels would look great

3. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

I have torque thrust D's on my black 63 Galaxie and just about everyone compliments them on the car. And most important, I like them on the car. It's your car, do what you like!! Tom

4. Chrome reverse with ther centers painted body color. Chrome lug nuts and a chrome dust cap on the front hubs.

5. jratz1966

jratz1966

I'm in for chrome reverse

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Chrome reverse for us poor boys back then. I had to buy used chrome wheels. I had them on my 63 Catalina.

7. iamben

iamben

[​IMG]

I like the cheap look of painted steel and crappy hub caps, but that's just me!!!! It looks like a no frills drive to the track and pound on it car.

8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for chrome reverse, and get a set of the '64 flipper dog dish caps, put them on when you want a change up.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

There's something knarly about a big 'ol Galaxy with that intimidating emblem on the lower fender, & poverty caps. No fancy wheels needed, we're all business here.

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

PAINT WITH DOG DISH CAP
    my$.02

11. TexasDart

TexasDart

How about some magnum wheels? Stock but pretty sporty. But get down to business dog dishes look pretty mean.

12. SOHC427

SOHC427

EX, I vote Chrome Reverse, or Torq Thrusts,
    Chrome wheels against that Blue, would look great!
    Eric

13. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

14. blue68deville

blue68deville

Painted steelies & caps.
    Maybe a trim ring too, would have to try 1 just to see it.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Halibrands! They look evil on Halis...

Attached Files:

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A friend of mine bought my son's '63-1/2 Galaxie Fastback...Ming green, factory paint...
    American Torq Thrusts, car looked like a factory Super Stocker.

Friend stripped the car, had it painted two-tone metallic blue with white top. Replaced the Torq Thrusts with chrome reversed 'Appliance' wheels, baby moons, and whitewalls.

He asked how I liked it...I was honest. He had gelded a stallion.

17. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A local (in SW Iowa) bought a new 64 Galaxie bench seat hardtop (four speed, 390/330 horse) and ran black wheels with no hub caps initially and then later upgraded to what I believe were MT wheels (can't remember for sure), aluminum centers with a chrome wheel, the centers were five spoke (wide spoke with a raised decorative "bar" in the center of each), I tried to find an example but couldn't and to be honest you don't see them commonly at swap meets, at least I haven't.

18. Do something different on either side of the car .. Switch around as you see fit

19. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Chrome !! would look sweet:D

20. Here is how mine looks with chrome smoothies.

Attached Files:

• wet.jpg
      wet.jpg
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  21. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I upgraded mine to 15 inch steel wheels....15x5's in the front and 15x6's in the rear....with a 63 cap....wouldn't have it any other way..
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

22. dad-bud

dad-bud

Definitely body coloured with stock looking hubcaps.
    My 64 Galaxie 500XL convert has the accessory wires on stock 14's, but I'd love a set of 15's with dog-dish caps and some big n littles.

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Traditional Rodders in 64/5 would change the wheels first thing. A set of period Fentons/Raiders would look great.

24. Yep even if they were driving mom's more door. I can't count the grocery getters I have seen over the years with trick wheels.

25. I wish had a pic but I ran 89 crown vic stealies & the cop car "saturn" dog dishes

26. My vote for the painted wheels and dog dish.......... Here is my 63.5 Galaxie

Murph:cool:

Attached Files:

27. Squablow

Squablow

I have yet to see a 60's car with OE style chrome wheels on it (not smoothies) that didn't look great. Either with redlines, black walls, or skinny whitewalls. They don't necessarily have to be a true reversed wheel, although that would look nice on the wider rear wheels.

The dog dishes look good on the right car too, especially on a black rim. And those cars take to a mid 60's mag wheel nicely as well if you use the right size and tire.

Either way, you're on the right track, I don't think the Coke bottles are doing much for the car now.

28. Deuces

Deuces

Chrome or painted steelies.... Or these...:D

Attached Files:

29. eddie1

eddie1

Had Torque Thrusters on mine so I am biased.

30. Cragar S/S...It's still period and 64's love chrome.