Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Opinion wanted regarding split bones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, Aug 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. flatford39

flatford39

Getting to the point of getting my steering worked out on my AV8. I am using a lowered A axle (3.5") reversed eye model A spring with F-1 backing plates and 46 48 spindles. I want to use my A wishbone as I have an abundance of them and I already split them and welded in the bungs.

I get the whole conversation about pie cutting the radius rods after caster is set. My question is, is there any benefit to turning the split radius rods upside down for a little more clearance for my tie rod to slide underneath the radius rods???

Does the car track any differently with the rods upside down or doesn't it even know it.

If you have experience doing this please chime in.

Thank you.

2. Where the spring perch goes through there is a curved socket the perch fits in so you pretty much need to use it top side up.Speendway has tie rod ends that are dropped that will get you under most wishbones.There in the 48-60 Ford truck section.

3. flatford39

flatford39

Your right...I forgot about that. It's for the perch pin to sit in. thanks.

4. flatford39

flatford39

Another question. How big of a pie cut do you think I need?? 1/4"???1/2"?? The frame is Model A and is full fendered. Is there a method to follow??

5. just a thought as I havent done this.You want 7-9 degrees.Get a cheap tool from Harbor Freight that measures angles. Hold the wishbone straight up,and scrib a straight line where the cut will be.Then put the tool on the line,and adjust it for 7 degrees.Make a new mark.That should show a small wedge between the two lines that you want to cut.For the life of me I cant recall the name of the tool,but there is such a thing!

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

With the car that low I can’t imagine that if you just set your caster and make your mounts drop from the frame to land where they need to be, that they would be all that long.

I’d mock it up and see where it lands before I’d go cutting the bones.

For what it’s worth you could run them upside down and have the bevel machined into the perch pin hole so it seats correctly. But the dropped rod ends are a nice way to go. Keep in mine they are way longer than normal ends so your drag drag/tie rod will need to be shortened

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

If you are using your stock front crossmember it has the caster built in, put your front end under the car and see how far down the end of the wishbone is and that will tell you if you need to pie cut them. Probably need some weight on the front end to compress the spring. I'm running a 4" dropped axle with a modified stock spring and brackets welded to the frame, Speedway sells a bolt on bracket that is about the right drop.

Attached Files: