Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OPINION PLEASE. Classify my late 50's survivor custom Lincoln

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by john worden, Nov 16, 2013.

1. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I hesitate to post my car on threads until I'm reasonably sure where it fits. Is it a mild custom, semi custom, full custom, radical custom, car or truck, leadsled or taildragger or convert or a combination of these or?
    This 51 Lincoln Cosmo Convert. was customized in the late 50's by Charlie Hall (former owner of Green Monster #5) in Tucson Arizona and used as his shop truck until late 2011 when it became my shop truck.
    It's a 12 volt car with elect. fan, twin temp gauges, and a nice array of SW curved face gauges. I removed an aux. fuel tank, air overloads, heavy hitch and a Novi AC unit. The days of heavy hauling are over.
    The custom built top is finished inside with a black headliner and does not fold.
    Plans call for Appleton 112's, fat whitewalls, Rotunda seat belts and fishtail exhaust tips. Maybe a white tonneau cover as well and some repair work.
    Opinions please.
    Thanks. John

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, with the top removed and a new one made, I'd say you have a "radical kustom" even tho the windshield does not look cut...and I wouldn't put Appletons on it...matter of fact, I'd remove what was there.

The next thing I'd do, IF the car were mine, is get rid of the utility interior...add some rolls and pleats in white and red...and some new carpet...that interior is pretty plain and boring.

The next thing I'd do is add some whitewalls...even tho the "fins" on the car leave a lot to be desired: I don't know why "fins" were added since they don't even fit the car...it's round...the fins are a detraction. I'd chop them down, add some exhaust tubing to the tops of them to make the rear of the car a bit more rounder to match the front fenders. And as long as "we" are doing body work, I'd remove the door handles and the hood bird.

The next thing I'd do is to redo the tailgate, somehow...and definitely get rid the diamond plate back there...then I'd add some shellacked wood in the bed to spice it up a bit (or the tonneau will hide a lot of sins...!!!), but please don't do a white tonneau, it'll be dirty by next summer and look a whole lot worse.

I know you didn't ask what I'd do to the car but you did ask for opinions, that's mine...!!!

R-

4. Thats the word I was looking for..

5. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I had to find pictures of a stock one to compare to and see just what had been done. Basically, it looks like it's pretty much stock except for the bed conversion deal. I wouldn't call it a leadsled or a taildragger. It's not what I would call a full custom, and certainly not a radical custom. As far as car or truck, I guess it's whatever you would call an El Camino or Ranchero. I would say it's a Traditional Custom Ute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Certainly some excellent work, regardless of how one looks at 'what it is'. It's obviously a radical custom due to the extensive work done to turn it into a pickup along with the inclusion of the fins and rear end changes.

7. I think it looks better than a stock Lincoln. I don't think I'd do much to it. Maybe wide whites.

EDIT: Could have the customizer started with a flower car for funerals? I've seen Caddy flower cars but never Lincolns, but ya never know..

8. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I agree, I think the quality and finish look outstanding and no doubt involved a ton of work. It's just that, to me it looks like the builders intention was to have it appear as if it came from the factory that way. It's radical and its custom, but I wouldn't classify it as a "radical custom", if that makes any sense!

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Here on the HAMB, when you ask for opinions, you may not (OK, you WILL not) like what you hear. That said, it's cool that it's a survivor, built and owned by someone of some renown. It's not my taste, but that's not very important. I happen to like the utilitarian interior, EVERYBODY does white rolls and pleats, it really goes with the pickup conversion. I also like the blackwall tires. Makes it different from all the other Lincoln convertibles made into pickups.

I think it's a custom pickup, and you should tow a lakes style roadster around with it.

Brian

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

No clue on "class definition". Kool Ride! One of One! IMO, Would not change a thing, Drive And Enjoy. John

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's a 'survivor shop truck pick up conversion', and a neat one at that. As Steve said, it's got some radical work done but it's not a radical custom.
    Other than the pickup bed with fins conversion the entire body is stock right down to the hood ornament. Even a mild custom is nosed and decked.
    It falls short of looking like a factory phanton because the fins don't match the body and the tailgate and tailight treatment-with diamond plate and dual tailights, look to be quickly put together with utility in mind and little style in order to get the truck in service.
    Neat truck though. Must have turned some heads as a shop truck.

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Since that is Charley's old car, I wouldn't change a thing...

13. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I know exactly what that is..
    Cool.

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

And who is Charley and why is it important to you to not change a thing...???

It'd be interesting to see how many other Lincoln converts were made into pickups...!!!

R-

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Linchero class?

Post-war RPU?

Whatever it is, I think it's cool. What's under the hood?

16. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I think its cool the way it is. But I'd like to see what it would look like with wide whites and maybe some cool hubcaps.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Ding! Ding! Ding! There were Lincoln flower cars! Not very many at all. From the looks of it, I would have to say it was originally a pro car. I'll find some Lincoln flower car info when I can get on my computer. Very cool car.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Charley Hall is an old metalguy and kinda legendary around here.

He has told me about this car, about the former owners, how he built it, etc.
    And who was going to end up with the car, long before John got it.

John will do right by the car, Charley chose him for a reason.

BTW, what I said wasn't meant to sound negative.

All I was saying that this is a car I would hesitate to " make my own",
    I would always want it to be Charley's Car...

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thank you...I never read it as a negative comment...but since I never heard of Charley, nor his "legendary" status, I was simply curious.

R-

20. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

21. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Not exact ally my kind of car but one must admit it is a quality job for a shop truck. I am glad it is being cared for and hope it will serve a useful life as it was intended. It is an eye catcher and good advertisement for a shop.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Please no spots. The Rotunda seat belts are ok, and a tonneau would be period, but I'd leave it pretty much alone, Its not what I would call pretty, but I dig it. Very "period", I remember seeing a few similar cars when I was a kid, most of them nowhere NEAR as nicely done, but all the HAMB neo-traditionalists are gonna HATE it. Nice time machine. If you gotta call it something, I'd call it a custom, plain and simple. It doesnt need any justification, the guys that really know get it right away, as far as the rest, who cares?

FlyinBrian nailed it, needs a trailer and a lakester behind it!

23. I like it. Obviously you liked it enough to buy it, so why change it? The work done to it looks top notch.

24. Significant history shouldn't be altered on a change of ownership. It was built as a work truck and as a "statement" piece. Sure, change the interior and wheels/tires, but keep the original pieces so it can go back to Charlie's version. With something like this, you're a caretaker now.

25. customized 51 Lincoln Cosmo Convert

Freakin thing's Awesome!

I frankly don't get the suggestions it should be turned into something it isn't! I for 1 would be proud of that Car / Ute / Ranchero conversion!

I think the fins are great, an obvious mod to the the evolution of styling cues of the late 50's / early 60's.

The top rock's!!!

IMHO - if it were my custom to tinker with; I'd see how I could compliment the Spirit of the custom it was created to be. I'd either modify a tailgate that is complimentary with the rounded lines of the car, or roll a tailgate and add some Nomad tailgate stainless trim, and call it perfect!

I'm all in with you on this one!

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like that a lot. I wouldn't do much to that at all.

27. Somebody

Somebody

Looks more like a flower car than anything. I dig it. And wide whites are way over rated.

28. interesting ride for sure, Don't put fishtail exhaust tips on that car !... Keep it clean and simple...

29. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Since it was radically changed from what it used to be, it is definitely a radical custom.

That is part of the whole problem with defining customs. A car can have a very subtle appearance, but be radically altered in order to get it to that point.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Looks to me like the "fins" are there to add depth to the box. If it wasn't for those, the tailgate could only be 6 inches high. My guess is they are there as a matter of practicality.