Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opening a Time Capsule

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANDY M, Mar 8, 2009.

1. ANDY M

ANDY M

The roof was rusted too badly to save, so the sun roof is being replaced with sheet metal from an old CAMARO :eek:

[​IMG]

Here is the inside of the door. Those are the original door handles.

[​IMG]

Lots of internal temporary bracing to keep it from falling apart.

[​IMG]

We're guessing that the roof of the garage caved under the weight of a heavy snow, and that when it melted, the car filled with water until it rusted its way out.

2. ANDY M

ANDY M

The roof was rusted too badly to save, so the sun roof is being replaced with sheet metal from an old CAMARO :eek:

[​IMG]

Here is the inside of the door. Those are the original door handles.

[​IMG]

Lots of internal temporary bracing to keep it from falling apart.

[​IMG]

3. lucky ink

lucky ink

your a very lucky man lol.. keep postin updates. long road ahead but well worth the wait

4. farmer12

farmer12

Great to see some updates. Keep 'em coming!

5. ANDY M

ANDY M

My apologies if STFU offended anyone. I was quoting Matt.:(

ZMAN, I was told to bring this story here because of the size and scope of the HAMB.
    I have no idea what the difference is between a "hot rod", "street rod", "rat rod" or whatever else rod there is. As I stated when I joined this site, I don't own one. I also truly regret ever mentioning that I own a Camaro. In hind sight, I should have just said that I have a Honda.:mad:

Where would you suggest I take this thread? I'm open to suggestions. As some have pointed out, this is about a car, not me. I have invested MY time to post this here, and as far as Matt and Dave are concerned, they could care less.

Your thoughts, please.

6. ANDY M

ANDY M

Sorry about the duplicate pics, not sure how that happened.
    Time to move on.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The funny thing is whoever told you to bring it here because of the scope of the HAMB. The scope is very narrow and defined. There are a lot of things about this build that are fine here, and there is leeway given a lot of times, especially to something like a 32 3-window. It's a tough question really. But very modern brakes with no fenders, they'll stick out like a sore thumb. And I fear the billet is just the beginning. As for where to post his, I really don't visit any sites that would accept it in it's whole. http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/ comes to mind though. I'd say continue on here for now, but just accept that the more it strays from being a "traditional hot rod" the more you're going to hear about it.

8. Hey man, dont let the downers get to ya. Keep posting! "most" of us here are enjoying your post. Sure we all may change a thing or two about the car... but its NOT OURS! Once again, thanks for taking time out of your day to put a smile on our faces.

9. ANDY M

ANDY M

The entire dash will be replaced, except for the cigar lighter. Too cool to lose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new floor will be a big improvement.

[​IMG]

10. ANDY M

ANDY M

This is a real '32 radiator.

[​IMG]

The hood is being custom fabbed because 4" had to be added on to save the firewall from getting cut.

[​IMG]

This is not how the motor will look when finished. Close though, since this is mostly just mocked up with stuff that will stay with the motor.

11. ANDY M

ANDY M

Last one for now.

[​IMG]

Matt told me that when the car is finished, the original windshield will go on his wall. That and the 1951 plate that has H 1932.

12. ANDY M

ANDY M

I just want to thank the nice folks who seem to be enjoying this story. I am still amazed at the reply's from Australia, New Zealand, Wales, and all over the USA.
    Have a great 4th of July! I will take a few deep, cleansing breaths, and continue when I have more to post.

13. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

Good save Andy! I enjoyed the pics.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i like the fact it was saved , and the sheet metal repair is going well , i can ignore some of the off topic parts just to see how it turns out , it should be pretty cool when finished

15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Glad to see you guys got that "Sun Roof" problem fixed.

16. Your welcome Andy. Thanks for sharing.
    If you did the percentages, im sure your'll find theres more lovers, than haters here.
    Matt does nice work.

17. Just as a bit of help with the radiator. The radiator you have in the picture is for a 4 cylinder, and you'll be using a Chevy engine. I used the same radiator for my Hemi, and it has a SBC pump on it. What I had the Radiator Shop do was to remove the bottom tank, and reverse it. They took the bottom tube out, patched the hole, and put the tube on the right side...for the SBC water pump. The radiator cools my blown Hemi with NO problems at all. A steady 175 degrees (DeSoto thermostat) idleing forever, or 70 mph on the highway...

18. RussTee

RussTee

another from New Zealand keep them comming Andy great stuff

19. Rickochet

Rickochet
    from Indiana

Definitely a lover here!!! Keep the pix coming!

20. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I'd like to see this hit the streets,I don't care how much chrome it has,what wheelsl/tires it has.It's a 32 ford,it's a hotrod.....Ireally like hotrods..all forms of hotrods. just saying,keep the pics coming, thanks...:cool:

21. Damn! I read the whole post thinking I was gonna find out where the first 500 HAMBer's are. Turns out it's just another 32 3w.........

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Matt might appreciate the HAMB himself. I was a Camaro guy, and restored a 53 Chevy "Street Rod" style. Plus a few Muscle Cars.
    Since then I've learned to really appreciate authentic vintage builds. They are much more impressive than mail order builds to some. I've gone from using musclecar and streetrod parts on my builds, to restoring vintage materials such as oil shocks and vintage steering columns. To the best of my ability so far anyway. I've noticed that people enjoy wrapping their head around vintage technology, or appreciate the memories when they inspect the gadgetry.
    If Matt were to research some period correct build styles, such as here on the HAMB, he may grow to appreciate and prefer a vintage style build too. We're not trying to crusify the build, but he may want to do some research. Billett builds are getting pretty Ho-hum any more, I've seen a lot of beautiful builds here that make billet builds look cheap and tacky. Just sayin':)

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's my take : I absolutely do not like '32 Fords...wouldn't own one if someone gave one to me...and to add to that, I don't like Model A's, Model T's or nearly any other square bodied car...and for me to comment (good or bad) on a '32 Ford is akin to pulling teeth...but I happened to open this thread based on the interesting title and didn't notice it was several years old until partway into it.

I've found the thread very interesting, especially saving a car that has been "stored" since 1951...I think Andy M did a remarkable job: First, for passing the car onto a friend (he could have bought it himself and then sold it for a very high price, which I think most of the Deuce lovers on this board would have done), but he didn't.

Second, for documenting the whole story, with some great pictures and comments, and then updating it a few years later.

But the best part I've seen is that the new owner simply doesn't have time to put up with all the bullshit posted by those that seem to think they know how to build a '32 Ford better than anyone else. He's building the car to HIS desires, not anyone else's.

Andy, I for one appreciate all the time and effort you've put into documenting that "save."

R-

24. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

" I absolutely do not like 32 Firds " " Wouldn't own one if someone gave one to me "

Curious. Just how thin is the air in Aurora CO ??

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I figured that post would get someone here to jump on it...The thin air here doesn't have anything to do with it...it's what was planted in ones psyche way back when...where I grew up, in the cornfields and hog pens of Iowa of the mid to late 50's, "hot rods" were '49 Fords and '49 Chevies...there was only one '40 Ford (and wouldn't have one of them either) and no '32's or stripped down Model A's. I read the car magazines for the kustoms, which were hott then...and skipped over the featured "hot rods"....I'm still that way...if you want to see MY build, go here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

or you can read my books, check out the website below...maybe then you'll understand.

R-

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If its not the thin air its something in the water.

27. ANDY M

ANDY M

Thank you guys again for the kind words. I truely appreciate them. As for Matt, I believe he is a member here, but he won't ever post anything on this thread.
    Matt is a professional car restorer, and if you look closely at the latest pictures, you will see a '69 Camaro, and some other cars. He has about 6 cars in his shop right now, plus his personal project, this car. If you bring a car to Matt, and it needs custom sheet metal, he will get the job done.:cool:

28. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I too am a Kustom guy, and like Roger don't have a lot of interest in hot rods. I have no interest in going really really fast, and I'm not ashamed to say I much prefer style over substance. I only really clicked on this thread wondering why it had come back to the top.
    When did it become compulsory to want a '32?
    I say this without meaning to offend any one who owns or aspires to owning a 32, but some of you guys are behaving like anyone who doesn't must come from another planet! I've read Rogers books, and he has without doubt "been there, done that, bought the T-shirt" to the nth degree, back in the day and now. You could do a lot worse than check them out.
    Paul

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Paul, It's appreciated.

Never have seen the attraction of a '32 Ford...

R-