Register now to get rid of these ads!

Open Trailer to Closed Ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NasT, Dec 12, 2011.

1. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Do you guys have any creative ideas to haul a roadster with no top and open trailer and keep out of the elements?

There is a guy who road races a mustang around here I heard made something from canvas or something.

I have a newer open utility trailer that I can fit the roadster on, I was wondering how to take it 3 hours without getting it wet.

Looking for something creative that doesn’t look as ugly as I think pretty much think will end up no matter what.

Surprise me!
    Thanks!

2. I would think that the tarp/cover would whip in the wind and wreak havoc on any paint job.

3. i had a neighbor that bought a tin shed from sears and mount it on his car trailer, which was actually an old pop up camper trailer he cut up. he ran an extension cord to it in the winter months and worked on his car in.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does the trailer have the pockets to put sides on it? You might be able to fab a framework that you can stretch a heavy tarp over to protect the car and not touch the car with the tarp. It would need a few cross pieces to keep the tarp from sagging.

I agree 100% that any tarp or cover that is directly on the car when you are traveling stands a good chance of damaging the paint and other parts.

5. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I've always wanted to take an open trailer and build an enclosed frame then cover it in plexiglass. Gets rid of a lot of blind spots associated with big enclosed trailers while keeping your ride dry. I'm not sure how structurally sound or how pricey it would be, but Thought it would always look sick

6. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

One time deal ? try and get the thing wrapped in one of those large white shrink wrap bags. Wind whips those canvas covers an really beats up the paint.

8. NasT

NasT
    from MD

The canvas one had a frame.....not sure what it was made of.

Yes nothing that comes in contact with paint......

9. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

Haven't you heard, trailers are for boats.

10. pastlane

pastlane

Like dreracecar said, shrink wrap if it's a one time deal. Look for a boat storage yard that offers the service. There are a couple here that are mobile & will come to you.

11. Ole don

Ole don

Whatever trailer you choose, dont forget to disconnect the battery when hauling. A battery cut off will not work. Take the cables off the battery.

12. budd

budd

might be a better deal to just rent an inclosed trailer.

13. I see guys put their boats in those white shrink wrap things, that might be the way to go for a one time deal, if they'll work for a car (the boat slides on rollers on the trailer, so they can cover the whole thing, going to be kinda hard to roll the car's tires if they're in the wrap).

Anything you make to make the trailer be enclosed needs to be able to stand up to about 100 mph winds, you have to figure both for the speed you're going and the other forces that will hit while you're driving - for instance I never even realized how messed up the air is when you're behind a tractor trailer, until I got a van, and found when I get behind one it shakes me side to side pretty good -

14. Shrink wrap works wonders! Like said, a boat guy can wrap the entire car and leave the wheels exposed, and leave open points for tie-down attachment.

DO NOT throw a car cover or any kind of tarp on the car, expecting it to "protect" your vehicle. It will destroy your paint. They are designed to be used INDOORS primarily, and even the best outdoor covers are not made to be used on a car on an open trailer.

15. Your looking for a "side kit" or "covered wagon" as they are called in the transportation industry. look for a trailer repair shop near you they will have everything you will need.

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

The heavy tarps that truckers use on flatbed loads don't flap. I don't know how they do that?

I used to haul a racecar on an open trailer. We used a car cover that fit the car pretty good. Calif Car Cover made a custom one from a dimentioned drawing. It flapped. The next step was those strechy mesh bed covers that are made for pickups to hold the cover tight to the body and stop the flapping. It worked real well. Saved the paint.

17. If you stretch a tarp tight enough it won't flap, but you need some strong posts to stretch it over.

18. ^^^Plus you risk abrading the paint where the stretched tarp is touching paint.

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I use a tonneau cover to keep the crap out of the interior

Attached Files:

20. Huh? 'splain " .. take the cables off" ...and why a disconnect won't work

just asking
    Stan

21. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

You might consider the roof fearing off a semi for a nose cone, the build sides off that. You have to put strut bars across the top like a rib cage.

Forget the tarp, it will flap and hurt the paint

22. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Whats with the battery thing!

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

Never heard of disconnecting battery on trailered car , where did you come up with that and what purpose do you think a battery disconnect serves? To the main OPs question,by the time you pay for either shrink wrapping or spending money on enclosing a trailer ,you can rent an enclosed trailer or even pay a hauler to move it for you. You did say just a 3 hour trip.

24. Best answer.

25. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

careful with the shrink wrap stuff,they use heat to shrink,its intended for fiberglass gelcoat and aluminum.the last thing you want is some kind of reaction with the paint.
    the truckers use a rubberized canvas for their tarps
    i followed a guy last week that covered his boat with a mooring cover,it was beating the shit out of the boat and shredding itself.the idea of a car cover with the netting intrigues me.
    snowmobile trailering covers are moderately heavy canvas,and straps to snug it up every foot along the cover.

i would put the sides on the trailer,make up steel 1x1 hoops for roof support,and have a high quality cover made for it.the cover could be held on with bungee cord or rope looped on to cleats along trailer.

26. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

get ahold of one of those boat guys and have it shrinked wrapped , ive done it before and it worked great

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

He can bring it to my work Valencia and watch it go round and round on the machine. Besure to bring a Model to do a demo talk about the car :D

28. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

x2 on the truck fairing! Works nicely.

29. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Canvas tarp... baaaaaaaad idea. You're basically building one of those tarp-garage-in-a-box-disasters on wheels.

The boat storage wrap is the best idea I've heard so far, actually.