Register now to get rid of these ads!

Open Letter to the guy who saved my old hot rod:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, May 7, 2012.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a public thank you to this guy:

[​IMG]

I built this car over a couple of years – learning as I went. I think I finished it in 2004 and I had a lot of fun with it. I went through a couple of engines and a few transmissions before I sold it to finance some grown up stuff and watched from afar as it passed through the hands of new owners and had some pretty ridiculous stuff done to it.

But this guy – whoever he is – really seems to get it. He stripped off the rusty license plates, shrunken heads and Oldsmobile Rocket badges, (nope, not kidding) then added a some things I might have had I been smart enough to keep it. My hat is off to you, sir. I'm glad you saw past the doodads and I hope I get to see it "in person" again sometime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

..good to see someone saw the goodness through the nonsense that was pasted on..

Cool rod..welcome back !

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some people are able to sell a car and not care what the new owner does to it, but some of us (me) like to see it not butchered up. Sounds like you are relieved that it is being kept relatively unchanged and true to it's original design.

I recently saw my old 23 modified at Billetproof and was thrilled to see the good care the new owner, Kevin, is giving it. For some of us they are like our children. :)

Beautiful little roadster you passed on to a guy who will love it as much as you.

Don

4. Very cool!
    Good of you to acknowledge that.
    I try and kind of interview the people that buy my stuff.
    But once you are watching the tail lights leave
    all you can do is hope for the best.

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Glad the new owner appreciates yer' former car. I know I get attached to my cars,
    and just like puppies, I want to make sure they're going to a good home.

6. brady1929

brady1929

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

kevin i can really understand where you are coming from on this little car. i sold my last 55 chevy almost 25 yrs ago. and i still talk about that car like it was my kid and i still almost tear up when i think about her being gone. last yr. my son found my car. it wasnt too far from us so he got in touch with the guy and he let us come and have a look. i had to crawl under the thing to identify it but it was her.could tell from a rip ion the frame that i did.gone was the glass flip frontend, tunnelrammed 327 4 speed and even a posi 57 rearend. she was done up in streetrod syle. fancy interior, automatic, lat model v-8. and some really ugly wheels but it was mine. at least in my heart.when we were pulling away, i felt a tear run down my cheek. had to turn so my son didnt see me but it was to late, he knew.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Selling an old Ford is a major responsibility...you gotta watch out for the skull and razorblade crowd on one side and the plastic engine cover/electric ashtray crowd on the other. Can't see the pics...hope they reappear!

9. Anderson

Anderson

"Current" shot not working anymore, but I really wish I could see it. Very glad to hear the Grimlock modified is alive and well.

I still wonder where mine went....lost track of it after the Austin guy sold it and he never told me where it went. When you build something from the ground up, it's never not going to hurt when someone changes it.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love that car.

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i miss that car.

12. That & the gold mod pete built were the two main influences on my Amod

13. Marcy

Marcy

The old car looked great at Torquefest this past weekend.

Marcy

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very cool. I'd love to see more shots of that car.

15. scarylarry

scarylarry

Me too. Always did!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Since the 'current' photo doesn't seem to be working, here's one I took at the 2011 Hunnert Car Pileup. Not sure if the car has changed since then....

[​IMG]

Malcolm

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I did the opposite. I bought project cars and sent the previous owners photos of the cars when they were finished. My last car, I drove to the original builders shop.

18. 64starfire

64starfire

Yeah, recently sent pics of the Olds' to the original owner recently. He wasn't fond of the wide whites, but tires are easy. He was alright that I put disc brakes on it though. I know discs are kind of a faux pa, but on a 4000 lbs cruiser, it really helps. Didn't tell him about the bench seat, but then, I kept the buckets. Poor guy was court ordered to sell it in a divorce. I bought it for pennies of what he put into it.